Original topic:

Galaxy Tab S9+ 5G ... where are my updates!!!?

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
dswartze
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
The latest update my unlocked Galaxy Tab S9+ 5G received was July 2023! I've contacted Samsung support multiple times and told the next update (they can't tell me what the update is) is coming next month. It's been 6 months. So my tablet is suseptible to any known Android security issues that may have been fixed in the last year. 

I totally regret purchasing this tablet and will probably never purchase a Samsung tablet again. 

I'm in the US.

Anyone have an unlocked Galaxy Tab S9+ 5G? What's your experience been? (Not you wifi only S9+ users. Only S9+ 5G users) 
12 Replies
jamarion
Constellation
Options
Tablets
My samsung a03s wants update to android 14 my brother has one just like me in they said download the samsung member app to get android 14 it's that's true I tried that in konw update come up
0 Likes
ImRyan
Comet
Options
Tablets
I have the S7 fe+ tablet and I don't get updates very often. Every tablet and phone has a certain length of time they get updates. The S24 series is the first to get 7 years of updates so if you want to invest in something that will get a long time of updates then if you research newer tablets you can probably find 1 with at least 5 years if not 7 years of updates. I hope this helps you. I have a S6 Lite as well and it got android 6.0 and It took awhile to get it and I don't know if it will get any more updates and they weren't every month on either tablet. I really hope this information helps you out. Have a great day and God bless you
JLRC555
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I had a Samsung S9 that was carrier locked and I was always in the know of when new updates dropped but NEVER got a single update (locked to ATT) I found a loophole though. I would ask a relative to let me use their sim card from like Metro or one of those non major carriers and I would immediately get the update available. That would be my recommendation. I was on the phone with ATT multiple times about it and they would just say "Ive pushed the update to force it. It might take a while" never worked. Also asked that they send me a new SIM in case it was faulty. Still no fix. So yes SOLUTION: instert a SIM card from a different non major carrier and go to settings to look for the update.
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

According to Sammobile the latest version if you have Android 14 is 11-30-23,  https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-s9-plus-5g/firmware/SM-X818U/VZW/#SM-X818U

Try using Smart Switch

Smart Switch for Windows https://www.samsung.com/global/download/smartswitchwin

Smart Switch for Mac  https://www.samsung.com/global/download/smartswitchmac

Step 1. Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable provided with your device, and then open Smart Switch on your computer

Step 2. If a software update is available, Smart Switch might automatically prompt you to update the software or will display an option to update

Step 3. Click Update and use the on-screen prompts to download the necessary files.

Step 4. Click OK to proceed. Your device may turn off and on a few times during the update process. When the update is complete, the device returns to the Home screen

Note: Don't disconnect the USB cable or use your devic e. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes
dswartze
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
Thx. I've tried that, but no luck. I was told by Samsung support that the unlocked 5G release for Android 14 had an issue and was held back. I am a huge Samsung user, but first time I got an unlocked tablet. Never again for me! There phones are great on updates, their tablets not so much!
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

" I was told by Samsung support that the unlocked 5G release for Android 14 had an issue and was held back." 

You should have led with that 😉 

Nobody hear has any idea as to when Samsung is going to release anything. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes
toyota10
Halo
Options
Tablets
Samsung tablets and watches get very minimal support after a year or so. My apple watch and I pad get monthly updates and even my 4 year old I pad is running the latest ios update and got it on release day. Samsung update and support sucks
0 Likes
dswartze
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
My Samsung Watch 6 gets about the same updates as my wife's Pixel Watch 2. But you're right about the tablets. Thankfully, I have an iPad Pro M1 on cellular, too. Like you said, it gets regular updates and will even get iPadOS 18!
ImRyan
Comet
Options
Tablets
Well I just put a lengthy comment about why it doesn't matter on tablets and if you have to have the newest and latest and greatest buy a new tablet every single year. Waste the money for something that doesn't matter in the first place. My s6 lite is 3 years old probably and I'm just as happy with the performance as I am the S7 fe tab and I bought a newer 1 briefly and the resolution was worse even though I believe it was an a9 and it was smaller. So newer doesn't always mean better. I took it back and kept my s7 fe. It was better than the a9 in size and resolution. Software couldn't fix that. People are really sad. Truly
0 Likes