Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I didn't need to re-buy any software, I bought all my licenses as multiplatform with the exception of FCPX which I'm glad to finally be away from.
The biggest deal for me is the lack of expansion on the hardware front and the migration from one-and-done licenses to perpetual subscriptions from the likes of Adobe.

My original post is also half a year old. I swung around and bought a base M2 Mini solely for OBS/DaVinci and that is about it. Right out the gate it was giving me issues because of typical Apple choices with its USB port amperage. 900ma USB ports on a desktop in 2022? I don't think any other OEM does that!
Oh and just like my 2018, I can't sleep it either without it force ejecting all my drives. Go figure.

Realistically I'm not an Apple "follower" anymore. I mean why follow a company blindly that has set up its own predetermined barriers to doing what you can do?
My 2010 cMP was the best computer I ever owned minus its energy consumption and heat output which is why the 2018 Mini seemed like a good choice.

At least with Microsoft I can just plug away and be fine. I don't care about company direction, I care about getting a good usable end result. So far my Windows computers can actually do what my 2018 Mini was incapable of doing.
have you considered getting help with these issues? (ie the sleep one; that doesn't happen here on my M2 macs). have you tried perhaps calling apple about this?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I'm one of those Macs since the beginning folks. The first computer I truly used on my own was the family Mac Classic. I've watched Apple almost die and come back from the brink of destruction. I've used Macs daily in school, the school lab where I undoubtedly fell in love with digital media was full of Powermac G4s.

And I was a hardcore Mac hater during that time, only having become a Mac user with Apple Silicon giving me a change of heart.

Before my 2018 Mini I had a very upgraded Mac Pro. Absolutely loved how I could squeeze in all the drives and cards for more ports into it. My chief complaint of course was heat. I live in a somewhat warm part of California already and having a heat lamp keeping my pet turtle alive AND a Mac Pro pumping out the heat in the same room was just a no go. Doesn't help my older monitors were putting out heat too.
Essentially during the winter, I never ran a heater.

Just like my midrange 3060 PC. It's nice to have a space heater in Texas winters. :D

Fast forward to today. I like my 2018 Mini. Its about the same multicore as my Mac Pro and substantially better at single core. It runs cooler, the fans aren't as loud and the new Ultrasharps put out way less heat. Hypothetically a win win.

The Mac Mini was my first Mac. I absolutely love the Minis and what can be done with them, from a small office computer, a first Mac for switchers like me, or for some, a really cool (pun intended) server

Hypothetically.
I used to have a single power strip running everything, now I have 3. Hubs, docks and enclosures all take power and not everything plays nice when plugged into one another. After much experimentation and many forced hard shutdowns I have finally found a good balance but not everything is rosy. For one my Mini can't sleep with its RX 580 eGPU and probably 1/10 startups result in a random crash. The internal HDMI port causes crashes and one of the two monitors has to have video coming from the Mini semi-directly to work. The workaround is using a Dell WD15 USB C dock -> MiniDP -> Secondary Monitor.

You know you really should consider getting an UPS instead of a power strip that way you also protect your computers from brownouts. UPS are pretty much mandatory for power users like you and I.

This brings me to my future with Apple hardware.
One of the my biggest complaints about Apple is the depreciation and eventual dropping of things they don't like anymore. Right now I'm still on Mojave because I reference 32-Bit software.

YES THANK YOU! You have no idea how many arguments I get with people here about the loss of 32 bit and OpenGL. Windows doesn't support 32 bit anymore either, but at least they have a compatibility mode so our legacy software we bought and paid for still works, especially all my classic games.

I've read people grumbling about losing Firewire support on newer MacOS for random devices. I keep a Sony DSR-45 DV Deck around for conversion projects, I'd hate to lose that.

Gonna be real man, FireWire is dead and has been dead since Thunderbolt. There's no reason to use it anymore since USB 3.0 is faster than it in everyway

The good news is Amazon sells FireWire to USB-C adapters

The iOS bloat isn't the great either nor is the fact that I just can't plug in my Samsung S22 Ultra that I have to use for work and transfer files to and from it. My Windows laptop, no problem there.

Bro what? Google made a file transfer app for Mac to make connecting Android phones to it easy.

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Another point of contention is the lack of ports on all the current available Macs. The Studio has exactly as many ports as my current Mini and the M1 Mini lost ports. For reference this is my current Thunderbolt and USB trees.
View attachment 2040197 View attachment 2040196
Thats alot of hubs and docks just to connect stuff I use. On my Mac Pro I had 2x USB 3 cards to attach everything, worked without a hitch.

if you want more ports either get a Satechi Mac Mini hub, or get the Mac Studio. Two less USB-C ports on the regular Mac Mini sucks yes, but most people don't even use all four USB-C ports on the Mini anyway. Hell I'd add a third USB-A personally.

As a hobbyist, power user, artist there doesn't really seem to be a future for me and Apple. I can't stay on an obsolete OS forever and all the bugs associated with my current Mini have really turned me off from any future hardware. Heck, I can't even use Thunderbolt 1 and 2 devices on a 4 enabled computer.

Again, it sounds like the Mac Mini isn't the computer for you, which is why they made the Mac Studio for the artists and power users.

Windows isn't as elegant as a Mac but at least it seems like I can actually do what I want to do with it.

You don't have to use Windows you know. There's lots of user friendly Linux OSs, such as Nobara by the Fedora team, or Zorin OS. They're so user friendly you rarely gotta use the Terminal at all, if ever. There's also a new Linux distro in development exclusive to Apple Silicon Macs called Asahi Linux and it's been getting overwhelmingly positive reviews (they even have a vtuber streaming GPU driver development for the distro named Asahi Lina.) Hell Forbes' Linux contributor did a one month challenge where he used a Steam Deck and SteamOS as his work computer and daily driver set the rule he would not use the Terminal once just to demonstrate how much easier and user friendly Linux is now.

Or you know you don't have to leave macOS completely. I'm a PC gamer but I still use a Mac as my main computer because I love macOS and the Apple Silicon chips so much, and many like me are in the same boat. My dad and uncle were hardcore Mac haters since the 80s and Apple Silicon won them over. Just give the new Macs a try, you might like them.

(Sorry for the necromancy I only now saw the date of the OP)

Last edited:

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
In what actually practical ways is Windows held back by backwards compatibility? If you're saying that it takes them 6 years to sunset Internet Explorer and even longer to sunset Control Panel instead of settings, sure, I'll grant you that....
IMO Apple should have never tried to foist their own browser; it just opened a can of worms they're still dealing with today since Safari is designed to deliver all of the ads that is BigTech accredited business partners wants you to see (unlike the Adblock-extensioned Firefox's most of use were playing with ten years ago). However, malware-encrusted spam does give Apple a fantastic excuse to declare any of their older machines and operating-systems "obsolete" as soon as they decide to withhold new security-update patches for those particular configurations...patches which generally deal with Safari. (The bright note for me is that no hijacker bothers writing exploits for old versions of Safari that I've long nuked off the dock anyway.)

I'd much rather my OS vendor phase things out slowly and gracefully rather than the change-for-change's-sake attitude that Apple has. Plus, it's not like Apple HAS to leave certain apps, users, and developers in the lurch just to update, say, Metal. Maybe the hardware. Toward that end, I think it's fine that macOS dropped PowerPC hardware support in Snow Leopard. But I don't know what it did for developers, consumers, or the platform itself by dropping that first Rosetta version. Similarly, I understand that the days of supporting Intel Macs have to be numbered at this point.
Who is filling your head with this "have to be" "understand"ing? As machines get faster and faster, and storage capacity ever increases, the amount of legacy code required for retention of backwards-compatability always shrinks to become a tiny fracton of the software payload (and, since Apple doesn't ship physical media for its OSes anymore, it wouldn't even have to lose bandwidth installing to a non-intel machine, since its installer would sniff the target and know what is required).

The real ulterior motive for the relentless cycle of obsolescence is to continue milking the cow. I.e., prompting us to pay again to replace software that already performed satisfactorily. E.g., Final Cut 7 is regarded as the last "good" version of that app line, before Apple bought them out, then released new OSes that obsolesced FC7. (And they've done similar with their own software too; iMovie losing features over time is one many people remember.)
every Intel Mac in existence has, in its Intel processor, 32-bit instruction sets. You throw 32-bit x86 instructions at any Intel Mac, and it will know what to do with them at a hardware level.
Yup. Mojave runs like a dream on a 2019 i9 27" I grabbed the other day.
The ability to run a 32-bit app doesn't have bearing on whether the OS itself is 64-bit. macOS has been a full, top-to-bottom 64-bit OS since Mountain Lion. Similarly, Windows 11 is a 64-bit only OS all the same. The ability to run 32-bit apps does not detract from this. Nor does it have any significant overhead. At least not as far as the software is concerned. Clearly, Apple dropped 32-bit instruction sets from their SoCs ahead of the rest of the collective of ARM chip manufacturers for a reason. That might've resulted in more efficient hardware. But, 32-bit x86 instruction sets were never getting dropped from Intel CPUs, so this is moot as far as Intel Macs are concerned.
The real ulterior reason for 32bit-genocide is killing off everyone's paid-in-full productivity suites that they'd otherwise freight-forward into new OSes via the Migration utility. --If Final Cut Pro 7 ran like a dream, and you bought the company that made it, your evil brain will quickly devise shady excuses for FCP7 no longer working on your machines.
DVD drives stopped being practical. This wasn't something Apple hastened, it was simply the reality we all were headed towards.
Most manufacturers got rid of slot-drives because they were gaping holes letting dirt inside the computer. And they broke constantly, as the component the user bashed on the most, and were therefore a warranty pestilence.
The problem with that approach is that Apple only puts out security updates for the most recent three versions of macOS (with the current one always getting the most attention). Running a version of macOS that isn't getting updates at all is about as bad of an idea as running a version of Windows that isn't getting Windows Updates anymore. Security vulnerabilities go unpatched, then get exploited, and then you become a target for hackers. Yes, it happens to Macs too.
I'll bite: when's the last time the MacOS had a security flaw that wasn't related to either Safari or any of Apple's other in-house app software?

(I tell all my clients: "Never use Safari, for the same reason you didn't use Internet Explorer on a Windows machines.")
But waiting until the OS is more than three years old? Bad idea unless your Internet usage is sparing.
I don't start using an OS until Apple is finally done meddling with it, and I use old firefox clone browsers running ancient extensions, and am connected to the internet 24hr/day with MRT yanked out by the tonsils.

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
i would humbly suggest you stop trying to sum up the experiences of the 'average modern mac' user, since you don't know even a tiny percentage of them, and you're making absolute statements about all of them.
Allow me to help: I sell and fix Macs for a living.

No charge.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The other flip side is 25-30 year old bits of UI cruft in windows, along with the associated security flaws in said 25-30 year old components.

First off, who cares about old iconography? Like, fine, it's an eyesore to you. Does it still work? Does it otherwise need changing? Also, UI that hasn't been updated in 30 years doesn't necessarily equate to 30 year old security flaws.

Plus a company that clearly has no direction - they've changed the task bar UI in Windows 11 3 times in the past 5 months, and the end result has not been an improvement unless you like providing revenue to Bing.

Microsoft uses telemetry to get feedback for things like Windows and Microsoft 365 so that if people don't like how it looks or runs, they can change course in these feature drops or in versioned Feature Updates before the OS becomes the second coming of Windows 8. They're changing course so many times because people complained and they listened. Would be nice if Apple did that for a change. Maybe we wouldn't be stuck with the nightmare that is System Settings.

Not much point in giving examples if you're just going to say, effectively, "sure, but that doesn't bother me".

You made an assertion that Microsoft is being held back by backwards compatibility. I challenged that and asked you how so. You came up with nothing.

Taking forever to sunset things does not constitute being held back, especially if the pieces that they are taking a while to sunset are not actually holding the platform back (as is true of both Control Panel and Internet Explorer).

I didn't say "it doesn't bother me". I asked you for an example and you didn't deliver.

I'm quite happy with the consumer choice between "move fast and break things" and long-term stability, but they both have pros and cons.

The biggest backward-compatibility issue with Windows, historically, were the security problems from the Windows XP era onwards, caused by everybody needing to run as "admin" in order not to break Win95 era code - and the knock-on effect of "training" users to ignore security warnings.

Windows 95 is about to have its 28th birthday. Windows XP is about to have its 22nd birthday. Incidentally, the jump from Windows 95, 98, 98 Second Edition, and Millennium Edition (all MS-DOS based operating systems) to Windows XP (a Windows NT based system) was about as radical for the platform as Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Steve Balmer and Bill Gates were asshats back then and didn't manage that transition terribly well. Again, you are citing a 22 year old example. Go back to when Windows 95 first came out, and you'll see Apple similarly making missteps that nearly led them to bankruptcy.

C.f. Apple who managed to completely switch from Classic MacOS to OS X (a completely different OS) within a few years and then make sure that the Classic "emulator" was dumped before the next big transition rolled around...

First off, Classic wasn't dumped before the Intel switch. Classic was dumped when Mac OS X Leopard came out; the first and only OS to simultaneously release for both PowerPC and Intel. Secondly, Apple BOUGHT NexT and with it a bunch of industry-leading talent that made the whole thing possible. You act as though Apple pulled this off in a vacuum. They didn't.

Microsoft are currently on their 2nd attempt at Windows on ARM (and non-x86 in general) and a couple of years in it really doesn't seem to be making waves with the main complaint being lack of software.

The first attempt was aimed at competing with the iPad. Not with the Mac. That's a seriously key distinction. The idea wasn't baked in the oven long enough because it entailed horrible UI without the option to not have to use it (at least you are not forced to use LaunchPad if you don't want to).

The only reason why Microsoft has a lack of software problem is that they are not forcing developers to produce ARM64 binaries. It's optional. VERY similarly, I still have a fair amount of software that is still Intel-only. Moreso during this architecture transition than the PowerPC-to-Intel transition, developers are slow to update their apps to fully support Apple Silicon. Why? They don't have to. Rosetta 2 performance for most apps is still better than a native Intel Mac. And Apple hasn't announced a date in which Rosetta 2 will be deprecated. There is no incentive for anyone to update their apps if they don't want to. Sure, Adobe, Microsoft, and other similarly larger Mac software vendors are doing it. But independent software developers? Devs that don't stand to make money on updating an app they made for Intel Macs, let alone those that probably weren't pleased with having to suddenly update their apps to be 64-bit Intel just one year prior?

I'm not going to tell you that Microsoft is better when getting ARM64 Windows apps out there. But I will tell you that it's not great for both of them and for the same reason; for the time being, no one is forcing anyone to put out ARM64 binaries under the threat of discontinuation of compatibility with the platform as it stands today.

The most enthusiastic adopters of Win11 on ARM seem to be Mac users (I'd love to see the stats on how many Surface X computers there out there vs. how many people have activated Windows for ARM on a VM on their Mac...).

Lack of selection will do that. That's a hardware problem more than anything. Apple Silicon is a highly optimized SoC platform for the OS it is intended to run. None of the other SoC platforms are purpose built like that. All that being said, I'm pretty sure there are now twice as many ARM64 Windows systems available than there were in 2020 when Apple first announced the Apple Silicon transition.

It really shouldn't be a problem for "modern" Windows software developed with .NET/CLR and compiled to bytecode but here we are...

I can't speak to that since I'm not a developer for either platform. However, my guess is that you aren't either because I'm sure there's a ton more to it than that.

Meanwhile, Apple have almost completed their 3rd successful ISA transition (I'm not counting 6502 to 68k) and in each case the new system has hit the ground running, with most major software usable (if only via Rosetta 2/Rosetta/68k emulator).

(a) Apple hasn't completed this one yet. I don't doubt they will. But they are STILL selling Intel hardware and, at nearly the three year mark since announcement, there is a much smaller percentage of macOS software that is Apple Silicon native than there was natively on Intel in March 2008. Working emulator to cover currently non-ported software doesn't mean anything if Apple is subject to pull the emulator whenever they feel like it.

Technologies like Rosetta are much easier to pull off if all they are doing is translating code that is otherwise written for the current OS, and not having to provide loads of legacy libraries/frameworks or translate between 32 and 64 bit.

There's one theory and one fact that you can propose about this. They are not mutually exclusive. The theory is that Rosetta 2 was never going to be able to translate 32-bit x86 into 64-bit ARM. The fact is that Apple Silicon hardware that is A11 and newer is completely devoid of 32-bit instruction sets.

That being said, there was nothing stopping Apple from still shipping Rosetta 2 as it is and having it work exactly as it does while not dropping 32-bit Intel app support from the Intel releases of macOS. Nothing, that is, except for the massive damper that would put on Apple Silicon in the eyes of consumers. There isn't that much legacy cruft in macOS Mojave that was suddenly gone in macOS Catalina. And, by in large, Mojave is the smoother and more stable of the two OSes anyway. Supporting 32-bit code wasn't holding the OS back. It was preventing Apple from having Rosetta 2 be a failure in the eyes of customers instead of the success we all see it as now.

Also, "legacy" code support in OS doesn't maintain itself for free - esp. in the modern era where potential security exploits are continuously turning up in old libraries.

I honestly am unsure of what you mean here. Most software that can run in Windows 7, an unsupported OS, can also run in Windows 10 and Windows 11, supported OSes. Supported OSes get patches to plug up those exploits in whatever old libraries are present. Problem solved. Furthermore, Windows 11's more stringent system requirements have eliminated at least 60% of all Windows vulnerabilities. Hell, Windows 10 compartmentalizing the OS's components such that an attack on one part of it doesn't affect the others was pretty damn revolutionary. As someone who lives and breathes IT and cares greatly about remedying security vulnerabilities in endpoints, I think you might not know as much about this stuff as you think you do.

Microsoft has a huge number of corporate customers willing to pay for extended support. MS didn't keep rolling out security updates for Win7 until early 2023 out of community spirit - they charged for them.

Yes, Extended Support Updates solely for seriously large enterprises with software they were not ready to transition from. I was there for that. The number of businesses that needed to use these updates wasn't that large. Most moved to Windows 10 just fine. I worked at least four different Windows 7 to 10 migrations. You had some people not on top of things. And you had some people who absolutely needed to use esoteric software the likes of which would never exist on the Mac and that couldn't smoothly run in Windows 10. Rare cases, but they existed.

Apple's total MacOS user-base is still a lot smaller than Windows' and the lion's share of that is in end-user laptops and single-user desktops that get replaced every 4-5 years anyway. I doubt there would be many takers for a paid extended support program.

The paid extended support programs covered supporting Windows 7 for years 11 through 13 of its existence on this planet. Apple cuts things off after 3 years. The only people holding onto 11 year old hardware are 2010-2012 Mac Pro users. Otherwise Apple doesn't sell to people whose needs are THAT mission critical such that their drastic annual OSes are not an option.

I wouldn't bet the farm on Windows being in the same position in the future (the whole industry is gradually shifting towards cloud servers running JIT-compiled scripting languages, and the likes of MS are going to make their money selling cloud services, not traditional operating systems & support contracts).

There will always be users computing on endpoints. Not as many are buying desktops today as they were 20 years ago. Even not as many are buying laptops as they were 20 years ago. Most do their computing on their smartphone.

Microsoft will still exist. Windows will still exist. Windows will still lead the market because they can be depended on in situations where macOS cannot. And Windows will still lead the market because IT management of Windows isn't as hard to grasp as IT management of macOS. Just because iPads and Chromebooks have joined the fray doesn't change that.

. The "safe" option is probably Linux and open source, which might not run 20 year-old binaries but will compile 50-year-old code which, if it is open source, someone will probably have done for you.

You haven't used Linux much either, I see. There's never a guarantee that anyone has compiled any open source thing for you unless it's from a big company (i.e. Canonical, Google, Mozilla, etc.). Linux is safe if you know what you're doing.

Most manufacturers got rid of slot-drives because they were gaping holes letting dirt inside the computer. And they broke constantly, as the component the user bashed on the most, and were therefore a warranty pestilence.

They only got rid of them for one reason; they could.

I'll bite: when's the last time the MacOS had a security flaw that wasn't related to either Safari or any of Apple's other in-house app software?

Happens damn near all the time! This last zero day was Safari related. That much I'll grant you. Happened A BUNCH during Monterey's reign.

(I tell all my clients: "Never use Safari, for the same reason you didn't use Internet Explorer on a Windows machines.")

You can't get rid of it. Even if it's not your default, it's a bad idea never to patch it.

I don't start using an OS until Apple is finally done meddling with it, and I use old firefox clone browsers running ancient extensions, and am connected to the internet 24hr/day with MRT yanked out by the tonsils.
I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. But I will tell you that if you are an IT consultant and you are telling people to wait until an OS no longer gets security updates to move to it, then you REALLY shouldn't be in this line of work.

Reactions: ericwn

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
I'm not going to tell you how to live your life....
(Why do people say this right before they do so? It's like some sort of weird compulsion.)
But I will tell you that if you are an IT consultant and you are telling people to wait until an OS no longer gets security updates to move to it,
I advise my customers not to be unpaid beta-testers of the latest shiny, and to avoid using Safari for anything security-related.
then you REALLY shouldn't be in this line of work.
The premise of your argument is that Apple (and this critique is hardly limited to them) is an ethical corporation with the best interests of their consumers at heart, and guards them from harm like a tigress defends her cubs. Demonstrably they are not despite their blandishments, and haven't been for quite some time now.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
(Why do people say this right before they do so? It's like some sort of weird compulsion.)

Couldn't tell ya. I've seen the same phenomenon before. Must be some literary trend that never died. In any case, I didn't tell you how to live your life. And I still won't.

I advise my customers not to be unpaid beta-testers of the latest shiny, and to avoid using Safari for anything security-related.

There's a difference between

(a) running the current macOS which is getting updates AND

(b) Running the OS behind the current macOS which is more or less only getting security updates, despite now (as of Big Sur and newer) still incrementing version number AND

(c) Running an OS not getting ANY updates at all.

I completely agree with you that (a) is often perilous and more so than it's worth, especially with Apple's current track record of poor quality control for macOS and iOS updates. But (c) is just a bad idea. If you are in the IT space, security and getting regular security updates is crucial. Furthermore, having been on OSes that are not getting ANY updates at multiple points in time, I can tell you that third party apps stop getting updates and ultimately, stop working. Not all of those apps, but enough for it to be a bad time (even if the OS you're staying on is awesome [as some of the ones I did that with legitimately were]).

(b) is the sweet spot.
The premise of your argument is that Apple (and this critique is hardly limited to them) is an ethical corporation with the best interests of their consumers at heart, and guards them from harm like a tigress defends her cubs. Demonstrably they are not despite their blandishments, and haven't been for quite some time now.

My argument has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with best practices. Security is a huge concern and Apple is no longer the platform that is immune to vulnerabilities and exploits. What I say is just as applicable to Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle, VMware, Canonical, Red Hat, IBM, and any other vendor who produces software that hackers are trying to use the vulnerabilities of to gain access to your system.

I don't doubt that Apple isn't good intentioned. They want me to buy more Macs, iPhones, and iPads and they're going to do whatever they can to make me. Their quality control for the operating systems these devices runs is getting worse, on average. They do not care that I feel this way. They don't care what any of us think or feel about their products so long as enough of them sell.

That doesn't change the fact that I expose myself to remote attackers by not keeping my software regularly patched, no matter who makes it.

It does when they've been known about for 10-15 years.

Again, there is absolutely zero correlation between UI not changing and security holes under the hood. Microsoft and Apple both routinely patch vulnerabilities in components without the UI changing one bit. Microsoft has some really old UI (primarily in its mmc consoles). Everyone acts like this not being tweaked to look like the rest of the OS means that the OS is lagging behind in that area. While that area COULD be lagging, the fact that the UI hasn't changed isn't directly correlated to that whatsoever.

Case in point: Active Directory has changed many times over since Windows Server 2008 R2, yet most consoles for Active Directory have remained identical since then. UI isn't everything.

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
i would humbly suggest you stop trying to sum up the experiences of the 'average modern mac' user,
I shall consider it. (OK; done.)
fisherking said:
since you don't know even a tiny percentage of them, and you're making absolute statements about all of them.
I know every one who drops their ostensibly "obsolete" mac off at the local recycler, since I buy a dozen a week. At least half still have user accounts on them. --Out of hundreds of statistical datapoints, I've seen less than ten where the user had drive icons on the desktop and scrollbars always enabled. (IIRC, these were defaulted "off" in Mavericks or El Capitan, or thereabouts.) In other words, approximately 1% now have their Mac desktop "look and feel" the way it was *default* fifteen years ago. They literally don't know how to drag-and-drop files on and off their internal drive anymore.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Again, there is absolutely zero correlation between UI not changing and security holes under the hood. Microsoft and Apple both routinely patch vulnerabilities in components without the UI changing one bit. Microsoft has some really old UI (primarily in its mmc consoles). Everyone acts like this not being tweaked to look like the rest of the OS means that the OS is lagging behind in that area. While that area COULD be lagging, the fact that the UI hasn't changed isn't directly correlated to that whatsoever.
I”m not talking about look and feel at all.

I’m talking about Windows UI libraries that have had known architectural flaws in them for 15 plus years. NOT LOOK AND FEEL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.