Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
my mac experience (since the power pc) has never been better than it is right now (some OS bugs notwithstanding). the M2 air and the M2 pro mini are the best macs i've ever owned (and...
We're really talking about the operating-system here. (That last link was to a guy setting up Mojave on an M2 laptop.)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
We're really talking about the operating-system here. (That last link was to a guy setting up Mojave on an M2 laptop.)
yes, and my experiences on these new macs depend on an operating system... ventura. which is pretty great. i've encountered some bugs, but... surprise! every version of every OS has bugs.

so i stand by what i am saying; i'm having my best mac experience to-date...

Reactions: G5isAlive

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I think the new Mini M2 is a great move forward from 2018. I would certainly like one, I just do not need one. I have a 2018 i7 32GB Ram self installed, 512GB SSD.

My use is mostly office apps, CAD file viewing, occasional iMovie project, team center meetings, web browsing. I am going force myself to ride the ride with this machine. It still feels as peppey as day one. Coupled with a eGPU really sets this up into a still very capable computer.

Thsee are my GeekBench 6 I ran a few weeks ago.

6D8F5C37-A5C2-4DDA-9927-8DDFBC556953.jpeg
CDFA3D1C-C216-4FC8-AAA3-FE73270A099B.jpeg

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
surprise! every version of every OS has bugs.
I've learned my lesson about being an unpaid system beta-tester. (When Apple stops "updating" an OS is when I start considering using it.)
I have a 2018 i7 32GB Ram self installed, 512GB SSD. Coupled with a eGPU really sets this up into a still very capable computer. Thsee are my GeekBench 6 I ran a few weeks ago....
Your Mini's i7/32gb/500ssd specs are identical to my 2013 27" iMac, so I'm interested in comparing its results to your five-year-newer machine. Perchance will it run Geekbench 5? (Version 6 won't run in Mojave, and the app states that results from different versions aren't comparable.)

• Haha

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
EveryMac shows Geekbench 5 (and older) scores for the 2018 i7 Mini

Your 2013 iMac has an i7 CPU, but it's an earlier generation (Haswell) than the 2018 Mini (Coffee Lake). I'm really not a hardware guy, but suspect these are very different.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Are the silicons "nice"?
It wouldn't hurt to try one. You might be surprised and if you are proven right, you can always return it to Apple. I have a 2018 i5 Mini upgraded to 32GB with the 256GB SSD that supposedly is much faster than the slowpoke base M2 Mini. Startup times are cut in half and apps launch twice as fast. So you might want to try one and base it on your own personal experience. I actually like the M2 Mini, it still works like an Intel Mac.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I've learned my lesson about being an unpaid system beta-tester. (When Apple stops "updating" an OS is when I start considering using it.)
when does apple ever stop updating an OS? after the first official release, we see beta updates, followed by official point updates.... until the next OS.

an OS is always a work-in-progress, and there are always bugs. it's the nature of software...

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan

Your Mini's i7/32gb/500ssd specs are identical to my 2013 27" iMac, so I'm interested in comparing its results to your five-year-newer machine. Perchance will it run Geekbench 5? (Version 6 won't run in Mojave, and the app states that results from different versions aren't comparable.)

6CE0CB45-AF77-49CE-A80A-329D3DA7D2E2.png B2182588-CECC-4FE4-A7A7-91A3096632F0.png

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
Your 2013 iMac has an i7 CPU, but it's an earlier generation (Haswell) than the 2018 Mini (Coffee Lake). I'm really not a hardware guy, but suspect these are very different.
Your Mini is a hex-core versus my quad, and running DDR4 versus my DDR3. In the GB5 results, you're a little over twice as fast by the processor numbers, and so your Mini would be better at long, processor-intensive tasks such as multi-hour video renders where saving a lot of time is very useful. Other day-to-day activities, the machines are probably comparable (boot-up time, application load-time), since those rely on the speed of the SSD.

The Mini's real star is its dual HDMI-2 ports, letting you hook up massive 4k wall-displays.

when does apple ever stop updating an OS? after the first official release, we see beta updates, followed by official point updates.... until the next OS.
And the "next OS" is usually (but not always) just the last (finally completely bug-fixed) OS with a pile of flaky new features thrown at it. Part of the reason that Mojave runs so well and is so well-liked is that it's basically just High Sierra (itself a polished Sierra, itself a polished El Capitan, itself a polished Yosemite, itself a polished Mavericks) with "features" you can easily turn off (SIP, MRT, Spotlight, notifications, etc) or evade altogether (such as APFS) if you don't want them. Apple's California OSes from Mavericks to Mojave are essentially similar to Windows 10.x/y/z graduations (but we're smug, so we give our 0.n versions actual names). Mojave was the last OS with a really long pedigree of backwards-compatability. Then Catalina ramrods mandatory APFS and simultaneously kills 32bit, thus representing their first real "new" OS in a long time -- analogous to Windows 11 after a decade of W10. (But wait! W11 still supports 32bit apps! And you can still make bootable-backups!)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
And the "next OS" is usually (but not always) just the last (finally completely bug-fixed) OS with a pile of flaky new features thrown at it. Part of the reason that Mojave runs so well and is so well-liked is that it's basically just High Sierra (itself a polished Sierra, itself a polished El Capitan, itself a polished Yosemite, itself a polished Mavericks) with "features" you can easily turn off (SIP, MRT, Spotlight, notifications, etc) or evade altogether (such as APFS) if you don't want them. Apple's California OSes from Mavericks to Mojave are essentially similar to Windows 10.x/y/z graduations (but we're smug, so we give our 0.n versions actual names). Mojave was the last OS with a really long pedigree of backwards-compatability. Then Catalina ramrods mandatory APFS and simultaneously kills 32bit, thus representing their first real "new" OS in a long time -- analogous to Windows 11 after a decade of W10. (But wait! W11 still supports 32bit apps! And you can still make bootable-backups!)
yes, apple does throw sometimes 'flaky' new features into a new OS (and still, some people often like & use those things).

i just want my needed apps to work; i want stability and efficiency. and (for the most part), am enjoying those things right now.

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
i just want my needed apps to work; i want stability and efficiency. and (for the most part), am enjoying those things right now.
Yep. For my part the "needed apps" are 32bit -era software (CS6, and the old Firefox/WaterfoxClassic browser extension TabMixPlus, which you can see below; that thing's multi-row tab feature is indispensable, and no other browser's extension-set includes it).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 2.35.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 2.35.56 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 70

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yep. For my part the "needed apps" are 32bit -era software (CS6, and the old Firefox/WaterfoxClassic browser extension TabMixPlus, which you can see below; that thing's multi-row tab feature is indispensable, and no other browser's extension-set includes it).
right, but that's your choice, to run old software. and the things you find indispensable are obviously not urgent for most macusers (hence, for example, no 'modern' version of 'tabMixPlus').

EDIT: honestly, whatever that is, i find it terrifying... but glad it works for you, and you have an OS that runs it 😳

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
right, but that's your choice, to run old software. and the things you find indispensable are obviously not urgent for most macusers (hence, for example, no 'modern' version of 'tabMixPlus').
"Most (modern) macusers" have no idea what they're missing -- they use a tiny handful of products that Apple sells them through the AppStore, and that's it. To me, that's like never leaving your parents' house.
EDIT: honestly, whatever that is, i find it terrifying... but glad it works for you, and you have an OS that runs it 😳

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
"Most (modern) macusers" have no idea what they're missing -- they use a tiny handful of products that Apple sells them through the AppStore, and that's it. To me, that's like never leaving your parents' house.
there are so many apps outside of the app store; the world is filled with people using photoshop, or a web design program, or a 3rd-party writing app. etc etc. and there are tons of widgets, menubar apps, customization apps...

i don't think anyone using a 'modern' mac in the modern world is bemoaning the loss of an app from a decade or more ago (okay maybe a few people) 😉

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
there are so many apps outside of the app store...
You'd be surprised how many "first-timer" Mac owners I meet who have no idea that it's even possible to install software on a Mac without going through AppStore. If they're a millennial or younger, they were raised on the closed environment of smartphone OSes and are used to the concept of living in a corporate security-bubble. And the machines are now buttoned up, slot-drives are ancient mythology, and Apple certainly isn't going to tell them how to disable SIP so that the "Allow applications downloaded from (*) Anywhere" setting even shows up in Security & Privacy, let alone is set to default.
i don't think anyone using a 'modern' mac in the modern world is bemoaning the loss of an app from a decade or more ago (okay maybe a few people)
I'd kill to have ClarisCAD back. It was the easiest-to-use thing ever, and ran on the side of a bean.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You'd be surprised how many "first-timer" Mac owners I meet who have no idea that it's even possible to install software on a Mac without going through AppStore. If they're a millennial or younger, they were raised on the closed environment of smartphone OSes and are used to the concept of living in a corporate security-bubble. And the machines are now buttoned up, slot-drives are ancient mythology, and Apple certainly isn't going to tell them how to disable SIP so that the "Allow applications downloaded from (*) Anywhere" setting even shows up in Security & Privacy, let alone is set to default.
i would be surprised. how many? 10? 1000? a million? how many people do you think you're speaking for? 🤔

your anecdotal stories are no more valuable, than, say... my own. but it is a fact that many macusers run abobe apps, web design apps, music-making apps... ad infinitum. most of those apps don't need security unlocked to install. and if they do need help for some reason, they can call a friend, or apple, or go online... and work it out.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Interesting timing for this thread to be resurrected. a few days ago I replaced one of my iMacs that died with a base M2 iMac Mini.
Lol, same thing happened to me. The base M2 Mini proved to be a very good affordable secondary computer for video editing in my small business workflow.
I am pretty annoyed how things changed from Mojave to Ventura but then again I've learned to not care enough since this is strictly a business machine that I use a few times a week. My Dell workstation is my mainstay in the studio with its required expandability and a used SurfaceBook 2 that I can tote around.

Reactions: sracer

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm one of those Macs since the beginning folks. The first computer I truly used on my own was the family Mac Classic. I've watched Apple almost die and come back from the brink of destruction. I've used Macs daily in school, the school lab where I undoubtedly fell in love with digital media was full of Powermac G4s.

Before my 2018 Mini I had a very upgraded Mac Pro. Absolutely loved how I could squeeze in all the drives and cards for more ports into it. My chief complaint of course was heat. I live in a somewhat warm part of California already and having a heat lamp keeping my pet turtle alive AND a Mac Pro pumping out the heat in the same room was just a no go. Doesn't help my older monitors were putting out heat too.
Essentially during the winter, I never ran a heater.

Fast forward to today. I like my 2018 Mini. Its about the same multicore as my Mac Pro and substantially better at single core. It runs cooler, the fans aren't as loud and the new Ultrasharps put out way less heat. Hypothetically a win win.

Hypothetically.
I used to have a single power strip running everything, now I have 3. Hubs, docks and enclosures all take power and not everything plays nice when plugged into one another. After much experimentation and many forced hard shutdowns I have finally found a good balance but not everything is rosy. For one my Mini can't sleep with its RX 580 eGPU and probably 1/10 startups result in a random crash. The internal HDMI port causes crashes and one of the two monitors has to have video coming from the Mini semi-directly to work. The workaround is using a Dell WD15 USB C dock -> MiniDP -> Secondary Monitor.

This brings me to my future with Apple hardware.
One of the my biggest complaints about Apple is the depreciation and eventual dropping of things they don't like anymore. Right now I'm still on Mojave because I reference 32-Bit software. I've read people grumbling about losing Firewire support on newer MacOS for random devices. I keep a Sony DSR-45 DV Deck around for conversion projects, I'd hate to lose that.

The iOS bloat isn't the great either nor is the fact that I just can't plug in my Samsung S22 Ultra that I have to use for work and transfer files to and from it. My Windows laptop, no problem there.

Another point of contention is the lack of ports on all the current available Macs. The Studio has exactly as many ports as my current Mini and the M1 Mini lost ports. For reference this is my current Thunderbolt and USB trees.
View attachment 2040197 View attachment 2040196
Thats alot of hubs and docks just to connect stuff I use. On my Mac Pro I had 2x USB 3 cards to attach everything, worked without a hitch.

As a hobbyist, power user, artist there doesn't really seem to be a future for me and Apple. I can't stay on an obsolete OS forever and all the bugs associated with my current Mini have really turned me off from any future hardware. Heck, I can't even use Thunderbolt 1 and 2 devices on a 4 enabled computer.

Windows isn't as elegant as a Mac but at least it seems like I can actually do what I want to do with it.

From the standpoint of ports, the version of the Mac mini that has the M2 Pro (which directly replaces the higher-end 2018 Mac minis) has the exact same I/O arrangement. No, you won't have eGPU support. No, you won't have the ability to run Windows via Boot Camp, let alone run any version of Windows that isn't Windows 11 Pro or Enterprise for ARM64 in a VM, and no you will not be able to run macOS Mojave or any other Intel release of macOS, let alone one that has support for 32-bit Intel apps.

The Mac runs cooler, and will be way faster. But those are kind of the only of your problems that it solves.

Certainly, as someone who uses both Windows and Mac, as someone who has a couple of 2015 era Macs specifically for Mojave, and as someone who also despises Apple's penchant for deprecating software support far more quickly than any other desktop platform out there and for not all that much end benefit, I greatly empathize. Windows will be better.

I hadn't really been all that involved with Windows until Windows 10 and I will say that Windows 10 is pretty great. Windows 11, with a couple minor annoyances that I've yet to get over, is similar. Provided the hardware you run it on is good (and shopping for that can be a bit of a challenge in and of itself), you will be left with something no less stable than the best of Intel Macs.

Apple Silicon DOES result in faster and more battery-efficient Macs, but that's not to say that the performance on a good Intel Mac or good Intel/AMD PC is bad. Again, provided you buy the right machine, it's generally no worse.

This is a Mac forum and most on here are diehards that will talk trash on Windows. But the fact of the matter is that it's a perfectly viable alternative.

Frankly, I'm jealous that I can't join you in eschewing Apple altogether. (Once my Intel Macs don't serve as much purpose, my Mac usage will pretty much scale down to only really needing a specked out 13-inch MacBook Pro or a binned Mx Pro based 14-inch MacBook Pro and that's it. Windows covers all other needs and, for that, it's great!)

As you stated, it sounds like you really need/enjoy legacy support and if that's the case then Windows is probably your best bet especially since you're not full engrained into the Apple ecosystem (Samsung phone) because once you are it's hard to get out.

While I don't disagree that it's much easier to stop using macOS or iPadOS if you don't have an iPhone. Not having an iPhone doesn't necessarily mean you're not still somewhat locked into an ecosystem. iCloud is probably the biggest element when it comes to this. But, considering things like the Apple Card, the Apple Watch, AirTags (at least with the ability to update their firmware) all require an iPhone, you're not far off.

I don't entirely disagree, but, on the other hand, an obsession with backwards compatibility is part of what is holding Windows back - and why Apple have successfully been able to switch processor architecture 3 times while Windows is still joined at the hip with x86 (despite several efforts over the years to support other processors).

In what actually practical ways is Windows held back by backwards compatibility? If you're saying that it takes them 6 years to sunset Internet Explorer and even longer to sunset Control Panel instead of settings, sure, I'll grant you that. But if I'm both a software developer as well as a user that depends on software, I'd much rather my OS vendor phase things out slowly and gracefully rather than the change-for-change's-sake attitude that Apple has. Plus, it's not like Apple HAS to leave certain apps, users, and developers in the lurch just to update, say, Metal. Maybe the hardware.

Toward that end, I think it's fine that macOS dropped PowerPC hardware support in Snow Leopard. But I don't know what it did for developers, consumers, or the platform itself by dropping that first Rosetta version. Similarly, I understand that the days of supporting Intel Macs have to be numbered at this point. While sad, that's also okay and SHOULD happen. But I don't know what a possible dropping of Rosetta 2 does for the platform in terms of its advancement other than force people like the OP to hold onto older hardware that Apple would prefer not be held onto.

Also, Microsoft IS branching Windows out into ARM. They're not forcing a transition because, that's not how they roll and, ideally, people make their apps compatible with both architectures so that users buy the computer they want. I don't see how that's holding anyone back. Even still, that goes back to my first question, what does the Windows platform need to advance to that it doesn't already have?

Any Mac software that is still 32 bit is now well and truly "abandonware" - and while there is some totally self-contained software that can potentially keep doing its job for ever, most things will eventually become just too out of date as tech changes.

I think the practical question you have to ask yourself is - if you switch to Windows - will you still need to keep the Mac Mini around to "reference" Mac software? Otherwise, those old 32 bit apps will still be toast along with every other Mac app that you use - and one way or another you''l still need to keep that 2018 Mojave Mac around (at least it's a Mini!) So it comes down to guessing what hypothetical things that Apple might drop in the future vs. the future of Windows. Already, with Windows 11, MS have been more aggressive in dropping support for older hardware ("because security") and finally killed off 16 bit software - and the Windows software market is heading down the same slippery slope towards subscription-based and/or server-dependent software as the Mac.

The key difference is that Microsoft is dropping support for technologies that, through the power of telemetry, they know people aren't using anymore and/or shouldn't still be using if they are. They sunset 32-bit OSes in Servers back with Windows Server 2008 R2 (the server analogue to Windows 7); they stopped shipping 32-bit to OEMs with Windows 7 and 8, and strongly encourage that only business class hardware be given 32-bit Windows 10 drivers at all. There were companies with old legacy software that still needed it, even if the average Windows-wielding consumer had long comfortably transitioned to 64-bit Windows.

Yes, Windows 11 ditched a lot of hardware that was much more recent than the hardware capable of running Windows 10 with full driver support. That doesn't mean that 99% of software that worked in 64-bit Windows 7, let alone 8, let alone 8.1, let alone 10, won't continue to run unmodified in Windows 11. That's the key difference. Since Apple first moved to Intel, I've had to stop using Mac OS 9 apps, then later PowerPC Mac OS X apps, then later 32-bit Intel apps; and you know it's only a matter of time before Apple concocts some nonsense reason to drop Rosetta 2, leaving 64-bit Intel Apps in the cold.

Your post makes some interesting points, but I don't understand these.

Apple dropped 32-bit support because 64-bit is an improvement without compromise

First off, I'm pretty sure that's NOT the reason they dropped 32-bit support. They didn't ever say, to my knowledge. They merely warned developers at the Platforms State of the Union one year at WWDC.

Secondly, every Intel Mac in existence has, in its Intel processor, 32-bit instruction sets. You throw 32-bit x86 instructions at any Intel Mac, and it will know what to do with them at a hardware level.

Thirdly, unlike the massive de-bloat that occurred in Mac OS X Snow Leopard following the removal of PowerPC code, macOS Catalina didn't debloat by removing the ability to run 32-bit software. If anything, the OS got bigger.

For those on an Intel Mac, losing the ability to run 32-bit Mac Apps brought absolutely zero benefit to the Intel version of macOS. None. Didn't streamline anything. Didn't make the codebase better. Did nothing.

So, why did they do it? My money is on the following:

1. Apple produced their first 64-bit Apple Silicon SoC, the A7. Which, incidentally was the first ever 64-bit ARM processor on the market. Apple has stayed relatively ahead of even ARM's own reference designs, ever since.

2. Apple dropped 32-bit iPhone and iPad app support with the 2017 release of iOS 11. Incidentally, releasing at the same time was the A11 Bionic, the first Apple SoC (and first known ARM CPU) to drop 32-bit instruction sets. And to clarify that bit, unlike every single Intel processor put in every single Intel Mac ever produced, devices with the A11 Bionic, namely the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X - devices that shipped with iOS 11 initially, could not run a 32-bit iOS app if it tried. The instruction sets were simply not there. ARM and, by extension, Qualcomm, Samsung, and all of the other ARM CPU/SoC vendors are going to follow suit and drop 32-bit ARM instruction sets. Microsoft is currently trying to make all of its leftover 32-bit ARM code in Windows 11 for ARM64 to be exclusively 64-bit in anticipation of this.

Everything I've said so far is factual and not speculative. Here's my speculation given this.

3. Every Apple SoC since A11 Bionic has been exclusively 64-bit-only. No 32-bit ARM instruction sets whatsoever. Apple starts planning the switch from Intel to Apple Silicon roughly around the time that they're removing 32-bit from their A-series SoCs. Their roadmap from that point to M1, if not beyond, has been clear to them. So, they know that, by the time the Apple Silicon version of macOS and the first M1 Macs launch, there's no 32-bit support. They can build Rosetta 2 to translate 64-bit Intel to 64-bit ARM. They cannot build it to translate 32-bit Intel to 64-bit ARM. And 32-bit Intel to 32-bit ARM is not an option because again, no 32-bit ARM instruction sets are present.

4. If you're Apple, are you going to keep allowing Intel Macs to run 32-bit Apps while positioning Rosetta 2 as only being able to translate 64 Apps, which, at that point wasn't that many? No. That'd be a PR nightmare for your Apple Silicon transition. The original Rosetta wasn't able to translate things specifically optimized for the PowerPC G5 and, to a lesser extent, the G4, but that didn't eliminate support in Rosetta for anywhere near as many apps as would've suddenly stopped working had Apple picked the Apple Silicon transition as the point in time where it cut off 32-bit Intel app support. That would've been disastrous. So, they cut it off one year earlier, with macOS Catalina. They warned developers for at least two years prior to Catalina that Mojave would be the last release to support 32-bit Intel apps, knowing full well that two releases later would be the first Apple Silicon macOS release. By that point in time, the amount of apps that were 64-bit Intel was healthy. And no one would blame the lack of 32-bit Intel app support on Apple Silicon; that was Catalina's fault one year prior. Certainly, those who use commonly updated apps were not affected at all. It's only those of us who use apps that have limited or no support that got left out in the cold anyway.

That's why we lost 32-bit Intel support. Has nothing to do with "Improvement without compromise". Yes, there's no compromise when it comes to using 64-bit x86 or 64-bit ARM over 32-bit. But clearly there are casualties of this.

; yet unless Apple dropped support for the former technology, many developers likely wouldn't update their software. Similarly, Apple made OS Lion download or USB drive-only, which helped to prepare users for a future where DVD drives would no longer exist on their devices.

Lion being download or USB only didn't hasten the death of the optical drive. The fact that displays were well beyond the resolution of standard definition (for DVD movies) and that software, particularly operating systems were starting to bloat well beyond what you'd want to throw onto a DVD is what did it. Plus, you could still easily burn DVDs of both Lion and Mountain Lion. It wasn't until Mavericks that you could only have a bootable USB. And even now, macOS is too large to fit on a DVD. Apps are insane too. DVD drives stopped being practical. This wasn't something Apple hastened, it was simply the reality we all were headed towards.

Having 64-bit on all their platforms also insures compatibility, improved security and helped with the adaptation of iOS from Mac OS.

The ability to run a 32-bit app doesn't have bearing on whether the OS itself is 64-bit. macOS has been a full, top-to-bottom 64-bit OS since Mountain Lion. Similarly, Windows 11 is a 64-bit only OS all the same. The ability to run 32-bit apps does not detract from this. Nor does it have any significant overhead. At least not as far as the software is concerned. Clearly, Apple dropped 32-bit instruction sets from their SoCs ahead of the rest of the collective of ARM chip manufacturers for a reason. That might've resulted in more efficient hardware. But, 32-bit x86 instruction sets were never getting dropped from Intel CPUs, so this is moot as far as Intel Macs are concerned.

Firewire is a similar story, a technology that was once relevant and then no-longer. I'm also in audio production and, honestly, when I've come across 32-bit plugins then I always look for an alternative, and more often than not something better crops up (and the developer keeps it up-to-date).

If you have money or your needs aren't particularly low-end, you can get away with that. For higher-end stuff, that's often extremely expensive and pivoting to something else isn't just something you're going to be willing to do. That's why a lot of people hold onto old Macs, old OSes, or just switch to Windows where such deprecations won't totally screw them over.

The problem with that approach is that Apple only puts out security updates for the most recent three versions of macOS (with the current one always getting the most attention). Running a version of macOS that isn't getting updates at all is about as bad of an idea as running a version of Windows that isn't getting Windows Updates anymore. Security vulnerabilities go unpatched, then get exploited, and then you become a target for hackers. Yes, it happens to Macs too.

That being said, the updates a macOS release gets when it's one version behind the current are almost always just security related. There's definitely a merit to being consistently one release behind. But waiting until the OS is more than three years old? Bad idea unless your Internet usage is sparing.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If you've been with the Mac since the beginning I'm not sure why now is the time you're jumping off.

The Mac has gone through several transitions the same as this before, except this time there's a truly class leading architecture as the destination.

Yes, old things get deprecated, but if you still want to run say, macOS 9 or even classic macOS you can via emulation on an M1 Mac.

You're likely going to need to re-buy PC software for Windows, and if you think the situation is better there I've got boxes and boxes of Windows games that no longer run. Just update the Mac software and be happy? It will be cheaper than re-buying everything plus the stuff you need to bring windows up to par with built in Mac functionality.

The other flip side is 25-30 year old bits of UI cruft in windows, along with the associated security flaws in said 25-30 year old components. Plus a company that clearly has no direction - they've changed the task bar UI in Windows 11 3 times in the past 5 months, and the end result has not been an improvement unless you like providing revenue to Bing.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
It's interesting to see other users in the same boat or mindset as myself.
I contacted a friend who works in ITAD yesterday and he sold me a very cheap Dell Precision 3630 tower. With an i7-8700, 32GB, and 512GB NVME it is quite capable and Windows 11 compatible although it is running 10 Pro at the moment. It has what I need, lots of native USB ports, plenty of SATA connectors, and a supported OS. It will need a beefier PSU to accommodate my RX 580 but those are relatively cheap.

Luckily for me I don't have any MacOS specific software I truly use regularly except FCPX which isn't a real loss now that I'm learning DaVinci.

When I think about the cost of all the docks, enclosures, and hubs I've had to connect to my Mini it to get it to where I want it to be, its actually a bit surprising that it cost just about the same as the Mini itself.

How is the FireWire support you said you needed?

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
i don't think anyone using a 'modern' mac in the modern world is bemoaning the loss of an app from a decade or more ago (okay maybe a few people) 😉
Given that the average "modern mac"-user doesn't even know how to enable their own drives showing up on the desktop anymore* or enable scrollbars on desktop windows, and hasn't for half a decade now, a poll-sampling of their opinions is not high on my list of things to give a darn far.

(*Imagine not even knowing how to drag-and-drop files in a GUI interface because the entire concept of mounted volumes, or even file folders, is something that both Apple and Microsoft are now hiding from you whenever possible. They only want you jabbing app buttons now, and nothing but.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 3.53.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 3.53.16 AM.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 3.53.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 3.53.40 AM.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 43

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
In what actually practical ways is Windows held back by backwards compatibility? If you're saying that it takes them 6 years to sunset Internet Explorer and even longer to sunset Control Panel instead of settings, sure, I'll grant you that. But if I'm both a software developer as well as a user that depends on software, I'd much rather my OS vendor phase things out slowly and gracefully rather than the change-for-change's-sake attitude that Apple has. Plus, it's not like Apple HAS to leave certain apps, users, and developers in the lurch just to update, say, Metal. Maybe the hardware.
Not much point in giving examples if you're just going to say, effectively, "sure, but that doesn't bother me". I'm quite happy with the consumer choice between "move fast and break things" and long-term stability, but they both have pros and cons.

The biggest backward-compatibility issue with Windows, historically, were the security problems from the Windows XP era onwards, caused by everybody needing to run as "admin" in order not to break Win95 era code - and the knock-on effect of "training" users to ignore security warnings. C.f. Apple who managed to completely switch from Classic MacOS to OS X (a completely different OS) within a few years and then make sure that the Classic "emulator" was dumped before the next big transition rolled around...

Also, Microsoft IS branching Windows out into ARM. They're not forcing a transition because, that's not how they roll and, ideally, people make their apps compatible with both architectures so that users buy the computer they want.
Microsoft are currently on their 2nd attempt at Windows on ARM (and non-x86 in general) and a couple of years in it really doesn't seem to be making waves with the main complaint being lack of software. The most enthusiastic adopters of Win11 on ARM seem to be Mac users (I'd love to see the stats on how many Surface X computers there out there vs. how many people have activated Windows for ARM on a VM on their Mac...). It really shouldn't be a problem for "modern" Windows software developed with .NET/CLR and compiled to bytecode but here we are... Meanwhile, Apple have almost completed their 3rd successful ISA transition (I'm not counting 6502 to 68k) and in each case the new system has hit the ground running, with most major software usable (if only via Rosetta 2/Rosetta/68k emulator).

Technologies like Rosetta are much easier to pull off if all they are doing is translating code that is otherwise written for the current OS, and not having to provide loads of legacy libraries/frameworks or translate between 32 and 64 bit.

Also, "legacy" code support in OS doesn't maintain itself for free - esp. in the modern era where potential security exploits are continuously turning up in old libraries. Microsoft has a huge number of corporate customers willing to pay for extended support. MS didn't keep rolling out security updates for Win7 until early 2023 out of community spirit - they charged for them. Apple's total MacOS user-base is still a lot smaller than Windows' and the lion's share of that is in end-user laptops and single-user desktops that get replaced every 4-5 years anyway. I doubt there would be many takers for a paid extended support program.

I don't disagree that if you need the ability to run 20-year-old binaries - and some people do - then Mac is not the best choice. I wouldn't bet the farm on Windows being in the same position in the future (the whole industry is gradually shifting towards cloud servers running JIT-compiled scripting languages, and the likes of MS are going to make their money selling cloud services, not traditional operating systems & support contracts). The "safe" option is probably Linux and open source, which might not run 20 year-old binaries but will compile 50-year-old code which, if it is open source, someone will probably have done for you.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Given that the average "modern mac"-user doesn't even know how to enable their own drives showing up on the desktop anymore* or enable scrollbars on desktop windows, and hasn't for half a decade now, a poll-sampling of their opinions is not high on my list of things to give a darn far.

(*Imagine not even knowing how to drag-and-drop files in a GUI interface because the entire concept of mounted volumes, or even file folders, is something that both Apple and Microsoft are now hiding from you whenever possible. They only want you jabbing app buttons now, and nothing but.)
i would humbly suggest you stop trying to sum up the experiences of the 'average modern mac' user, since you don't know even a tiny percentage of them, and you're making absolute statements about all of them.

besides, what's the definition? first-time users? people who own modern macs? and in this world where many people have grown up with computers, is anyone really as helpless as you seem to think they are? 🤔

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Ah, Apple. The once-mighty fruit of technological innovation has now withered into a hollow shell of its former glory, desperately clinging to the poisoned tree of corporate greed. The legacy of Steve Jobs lies buried beneath an avalanche of shiny gadgets, never to be resurrected, as if he were some Macintosh Tutankhamun.

Remember Mac OS X, the sleek and powerful operating system that offered boundless opportunities to power users? It has undergone a metamorphosis worthy of a Kafka novel, transforming into a grotesque, bug-ridden facsimile of an operating system that could only be the result of a mischievous collaboration between H.P. Lovecraft and Rube Goldberg.

Gone are the days when Apple valued its power users like the Renaissance valued the Medicis. Today, they are treated like lepers at a beauty pageant, shunned by a company that once celebrated their very existence. The Apple of today is like IBM during the PCjr debacle, promising the moon while delivering a rickety stepladder.

As Mac OS X stumbles blindly into the abyss of mediocrity, its once-mighty features are stripped away one by one, leaving behind a barely-functional husk that could only be the product of a drunken bet between Apple designers and a Ouija board. It is the Windows Vista of our generation, an operatic tragedy performed by a choir of screeching modems.

The once-vaunted operating system now resembles a Fisher-Price toy. Apple has successfully turned the Mac into an oversized iPhone, an accomplishment as impressive as turning the Library of Alexandria into a single pamphlet on the care and feeding of pet rocks.

No longer can we tinker and create with the tools of giants. Instead, we are forced to work within the confines of Apple's walled garden, as if we were bonsai trees, our growth stunted and our potential thwarted. It is as though Apple has become a twisted, modern-day King Midas, turning everything it touches not into gold, but into an endless sea of dongles and proprietary connectors.

One can only hope that this dark chapter in Apple's history will be a temporary aberration, a fleeting moment of corporate insanity before sanity is restored. Perhaps, like the mythical phoenix, Apple will rise from the ashes of its own folly, emerging as a renewed champion of innovation and user freedom.

Until that day comes, we power users must raise our voices in sarcastic lament, bemoaning the cruel fate that has befallen our once-beloved Macintosh. We stand on the digital shores, like the Ancient Mariner, cursed to forever recount the tale of Apple's fall from grace, a cautionary tale for generations to come.
Dems fightin' woids! :D Back-in-the-day I owned a PCjr. It was during my career with IBM and they offered a firesale discount on them for employees. It was a criminally underrated system. The sidecar expansion options were the antithesis of Apple's solder-and-lockdown approach.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
If you've been with the Mac since the beginning I'm not sure why now is the time you're jumping off.

The Mac has gone through several transitions the same as this before, except this time there's a truly class leading architecture as the destination.

Yes, old things get deprecated, but if you still want to run say, macOS 9 or even classic macOS you can via emulation on an M1 Mac.

You're likely going to need to re-buy PC software for Windows, and if you think the situation is better there I've got boxes and boxes of Windows games that no longer run. Just update the Mac software and be happy? It will be cheaper than re-buying everything plus the stuff you need to bring windows up to par with built in Mac functionality.

The other flip side is 25-30 year old bits of UI cruft in windows, along with the associated security flaws in said 25-30 year old components. Plus a company that clearly has no direction - they've changed the task bar UI in Windows 11 3 times in the past 5 months, and the end result has not been an improvement unless you like providing revenue to Bing.
I didn't need to re-buy any software, I bought all my licenses as multiplatform with the exception of FCPX which I'm glad to finally be away from.
The biggest deal for me is the lack of expansion on the hardware front and the migration from one-and-done licenses to perpetual subscriptions from the likes of Adobe.

My original post is also half a year old. I swung around and bought a base M2 Mini solely for OBS/DaVinci and that is about it. Right out the gate it was giving me issues because of typical Apple choices with its USB port amperage. 900ma USB ports on a desktop in 2022? I don't think any other OEM does that!
Oh and just like my 2018, I can't sleep it either without it force ejecting all my drives. Go figure.

Realistically I'm not an Apple "follower" anymore. I mean why follow a company blindly that has set up its own predetermined barriers to doing what you can do?
My 2010 cMP was the best computer I ever owned minus its energy consumption and heat output which is why the 2018 Mini seemed like a good choice.

At least with Microsoft I can just plug away and be fine. I don't care about company direction, I care about getting a good usable end result. So far my Windows computers can actually do what my 2018 Mini was incapable of doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.