Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
How I didn't see this thread before.

I love my Macbook 12" 2017 (base model) but just can't use Monterrey/Ventura. Those two run horrible with this machine. Catalina is the best OS since is the most optimized for Intel processors but sadly is too old. I'm now with Big Sur and works really good.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
How I didn't see this thread before.

I love my Macbook 12" 2017 (base model) but just can't use Monterrey/Ventura. Those two run horrible with this machine. Catalina is the best OS since is the most optimized for Intel processors but sadly is too old. I'm now with Big Sur and works really good.

Big Sur is pretty sweet in its final form. Once they fixed most of the bugs, it became pretty much rock-solid. Unfortunately, once Apple fixes an OS, it's usually taken out of the update schedule :(

Awaiting a 2017 Space Grey model that needs a new battery. I've got one waiting here for it, but the notebook is currently in delivery hell (stuck in Hawaii).

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
Big Sur is pretty sweet in its final form. Once they fixed most of the bugs, it became pretty much rock-solid. Unfortunately, once Apple fixes an OS, it's usually taken out of the update schedule :(

Awaiting a 2017 Space Grey model that needs a new battery. I've got one waiting here for it, but the notebook is currently in delivery hell (stuck in Hawaii).
Yeah, Big Sur works really well but you are right, the software support is falling and falling with time. Apple just let the OS to it's luck at this point. Glad that main browsers still support the system and also, if you got apps through the Apps Store before, you can download the old versiones that work most of the time (Onedrive for example).

Good luck with you 2017 Space Grey!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Would you go for a secondary machine being the 12 inch MacBook?
My friend used her old 12" Retina MacBook to get through a day of zoom calls recently because she didn't have access to her M1 MacBook Air. I don't think it did it well but it did get her through the day.

I do love the lightness and I'd consider toting one around as a writing-only machine -- if it had a usable keyboard. Even when they aren't broken, butterfly keyboards feel like absolute and total ass to type on.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My friend used her old 12" Retina MacBook to get through a day of zoom calls recently because she didn't have access to her M1 MacBook Air. I don't think it did it well but it did get her through the day.
Which 12"? I recently gave a 2.5 hour PowerPoint lecture via screen sharing on Zoom, and my 2017 Core m3 didn't break a sweat in Zoom. Zoom isn't very taxing (unless you're upscaling significantly to the external display).

The main problem with the 12" Retina MacBooks is the battery life since these machines didn't have the best battery life to begin with, and now the batteries are very old, some even nearly a decade old.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Why not a 13-inch iPad Air instead?
Speaking for myself, no, an iPad is not a subtitute for a Mac. And even with a Magic Keyboard thing attached, it's just nowhere near as easy to deal with as a laptop.

The thing that bugs me is that Apple seems to have decided that the ultraportable laptop user can be served by iPads, and maybe that's why we don't have a proper successor to the Retina MacBook.

Reactions: staceyu and ccbc

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Which 12"? I recently gave a 2.5 hour PowerPoint lecture via screen sharing on Zoom, and my 2017 Core m3 didn't break a sweat in Zoom. Zoom isn't very taxing.
Not entirely true about Zoom not being taxing. Even on my M1 Air, the power consumption approximately doubles on Zoom. Not that it struggles, but it does warm up and runs through a good chunk of battery percentage over the course of an hourlong call, going from under 5 watts in basic use (email, web, writing), which shoots up over 10 watts on Zoom call.

I don't remember which Retina MacBook my friend has, but I do recall that back when she was using it as her primary machine it would straight up stop working if it was in a warm environment and trying to do a Zoom. (She's a clinician who uses zoom a lot).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Not entirely true. Even on my M1 Air, the power consumption approximately doubles when I'm on a Zoom call. Not that it struggles, but it does warm up and runs through a good chunk of battery percentage over the course of an hourlong call.

I don't remember which Retina MacBook she has, but I do recall that back when she was using it as her primary machine it would straight up stop working if it was in a warm environment and trying to do a zoom call. (She's a clinician who uses zoom a lot).
Strange. I've been told if you record meetings and use virtual backgrounds and such, that can up the CPU usage, but if you don't it works just fine. Like I said, I had no problems with Zoom with my 2.5 hour lecture. Here was my setup on my 2017 m3:

1. Running PowerPoint 2016 in presenter mode. Main screen with my notes and next slide on my MacBook screen, and actual presentation on external screen (which was actually a 2010 iMac in Target Display Mode).

2. Running Zoom with screen sharing, sharing the external screen (iMac) over Zoom.

Yeah, battery life wasn't great, but the machine didn't struggle otherwise. FWIW, I do have 16 GB RAM though, if that makes a difference. PowerPoint crashed once in that 2.5 hours, but I blame PowerPoint for that. I'm using an old version and I've found PowerPoint can occasionally be flaky with large presentations. Zoom never crashed during that time, and the machine never became sluggish (or at least never became any more sluggish than it usually was with that Core m3).

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Speaking for myself, no, an iPad is not a subtitute for a Mac. And even with a Magic Keyboard thing attached, it's just nowhere near as easy to deal with as a laptop.

The thing that bugs me is that Apple seems to have decided that the ultraportable laptop user can be served by iPads, and maybe that's why we don't have a proper successor to the Retina MacBook.
I think enough people decided that the 12-inch MacBook wasn't comfortable for them to use. I always found them to be extra cramped. 13-inch seems to be the sweet spot.

ccbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I think enough people decided that the 12-inch MacBook wasn't comfortable for them to use. I always found them to be extra cramped. 13-inch seems to be the sweet spot.
Having used my inexpensive MacBook 12 for a few months now, I realized the same thing. The comfort is perfect on a M1 MBA. The keyboard travel is way better, it feels more natural to type on for any long-form entries.

I am thinking about selling the former now.

staceyu

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024

Honestly it could if Apple would simply let the iPad Pro spread it's wings and put MacOS on it. Personally I think the >$1k price tag is a little much for a iPad that is limited compared to the cheapest MBA available....that has the same exact internals.

And I've had a rMB since 2018, and I love overpowered ultraportables (My previous before this was an Alienware M11x). The 14 in Pro is nice and spacious in comparison , but size can make it a little too unwieldy for my backpack. I'll revisit it in the next redesign...

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Which 12"? I recently gave a 2.5 hour PowerPoint lecture via screen sharing on Zoom, and my 2017 Core m3 didn't break a sweat in Zoom. Zoom isn't very taxing (unless you're upscaling significantly to the external display).

The main problem with the 12" Retina MacBooks is the battery life since these machines didn't have the best battery life to begin with, and now the batteries are very old, some even nearly a decade old.
Realistically how many hours does yours work with general work?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Realistically how many hours does yours work with general work?
Are you asking about battery life? If so I’m not 100% sure for stuff like surfing and email since sometimes it’s plugged-in, but for the Zoom PowerPoint lecture as described earlier, it was not plugged-in. IIRC it was >95% charged when I started, but I can’t remember if I had 17% or 37% left after 2.5 hours. Anyhow that would suggest the total might have been between about 3 to 4 hours on battery with this type of usage.

Battery is the original, meaning it’s over 7 years old now, but with lower than average wear.

Last edited:

kinga

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
USA
Cons: Apple no longer makes them new, so you'll be looking at used models. This means potential for older specs and battery wear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.