Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheese1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2024
I absolutely love the 12 inch MacBook. When it came out it fascinated me and its what got me interested into computers. The slim for factor and the rose gold color are pristine. I have been looking for one that's not iCloud locked and not broken for so long. This is a shot in the dark. If anyone has one. Reply to this message with a price.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
What do you need to do on a device of that size that iPadOS cannot accommodate?
This... (see attached picture)

I could not do this with my 13" MacBook Air. The 12" MacBook is small enough to easily take around and work in the car, planes, trains etc. It is VERY light, so it is very easy for travel. yes, the 13" MacBook Air is nice and usable...but the 12" MacBook is ideal for travel.

IMG_09692.png

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I can't buy anything Apple till they fix their displays. If my eyes could handle their display tech, I would buy the lightest weight laptop they had on offer.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
All of my keys are perfect in my 16 GB 2017 m3 MacBook... except recently the space bar. Now the right edge of the space bar is starting to get mushy. The left side, centre, and most of the right side are perfect and satisfyingly clicky, but the right most edge, esp. near the top has less clickiness. If I firmly click near the right edge it works fine, but if only lightly click near the right edge, sometimes it doesn't register. However, if I move over to the left just 1 cm so I'm pressing under the 'N' key, it works completely fine with the proper click.

I was hoping I'd be spared this, since I've kept it pristine, but no such luck. In the meantime I've trained myself to click under the 'N' key more consistently instead of under the 'M' key like I would previously sometimes do, and that has mitigated the problem... for now. I hope this doesn't gradually progress...

I will try an electric duster but I doubt that will do anything.

ccbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2022
Vancouver, BC
All of my keys are perfect in my 16 GB 2017 m3 MacBook... except recently the space bar. Now the right edge of the space bar is starting to get mushy. The left side, centre, and most of the right side are perfect and satisfyingly clicky, but the right most edge, esp. near the top has less clickiness. If I firmly click near the right edge it works fine, but if only lightly click near the right edge, sometimes it doesn't register. However, if I move over to the left just 1 cm so I'm pressing under the 'N' key, it works completely fine with the proper click.

I was hoping I'd be spared this, since I've kept it pristine, but no such luck. In the meantime I've trained myself to click under the 'N' key more consistently instead of under the 'M' key like I would previously sometimes do, and that has mitigated the problem... for now. I hope this doesn't gradually progress...

Would you know of anyone able to repair the spacebar for a reasonable fee? I have a completely detached spacebar.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Would you know of anyone able to repair the spacebar for a reasonable fee? I have a completely detached spacebar.
My understanding is to replace even just one key actually involves replacing the entire top case... at high expense, more than what people here in this thread have been paying for fully functional and even pristine used MacBooks. I don't know if some third party shops may be able to do a fix for you, but I wouldn't be optimistic about that. How did you manage to get the space bar to fall off?

Anyhow, now that I no longer consistently travel for business, I will be moving onto the 11" iPad Pro, assuming my workplace's VPN software works well with it, and the 12" MacBook will be its lesser used cousin. In the past using my old 2017 iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard was a problem for work, since I didn't have either trackpad support or function keys, which was a major annoyance with my workplace's software.

The new iPad Pro 11" with Magic Keyboard has a trackpad, so that's covered. However, the 11" iPad Pro has a smaller trackpad, a smaller keyboard (at 18 mm key spacing instead of 19 mm), no F1-F12 keys, a smaller screen, less physical stability (since it may rock backwards when tapped in certain cases), and yet weighs more than the 12" MacBook.

It's unfortunate that an M series or even A series 12" MacBook doesn't exist. Actually, I was hoping for the iPad Pros to go to about 11.6" and 13.5", but 11.1" will have to do. The one nice advantage though for the iPads is the ability to download Netflix movies and TV shows directly for offline reviewing, like on a plane. On the 12" MacBook (or any other Mac for that matter), you have to stream it. No local downloads.

ccbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I actually bought it for CA$60 few weeks back and the spacebar was detached (I knew before buying). I’m tempted to glue it in the middle, right on top of the switch.

Reactions: leifp and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I actually bought it for CA$60 few weeks back and the spacebar was detached (I knew before buying). I’m tempted to glue it in the middle, right on top of the switch.
Ah. CA$60 is a great deal. Good luck. I hope you are successful with your DIY hack.

Reactions: ccbc

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’ll start with the tl;dr… I’d buy a reborn MacBook IN A HEARTBEAT

That was the sole laptop I’ve ever considered keeping until it died but they killed it as I was getting ready to bite the bullet on a purchase. I’ll be replacing my 16” MBPro whenever Apple adds Thunderbolt 5 to the Mac Studio and then I’ll probably use the 16” as an actual laptop (it serves that function around 1% of its life at present but the iPad rounds out my portable use). I’d snag a 12” MB in a heartbeat even if it only had A series chips… (I was an 11” MBAir user and its screen was too poor to consider using long term).

“Desktop replacement” is soap-in-mouth worthy in my world… but needs must and I’ve been on laptops for most of nearly two decades now.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Yay! An air duster fixed it! Woohoo! :)

I posted the previous message while I was out of town, without an air duster with me. I got home today and tried a can of compressed air, and it fixed it right away. It looks like my life with the 12" MacBook form factor will continue. :cool:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This... (see attached picture)

I could not do this with my 13" MacBook Air. The 12" MacBook is small enough to easily take around and work in the car, planes, trains etc. It is VERY light, so it is very easy for travel. yes, the 13" MacBook Air is nice and usable...but the 12" MacBook is ideal for travel.

View attachment 2383286
iPadOS can accomodate car usage. And it often does better than macOS does. Again, my question was "what do you need on a device of that size that iPadOS cannot accomodate?"

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
iPadOS can accomodate car usage. And it often does better than macOS does. Again, my question was "what do you need on a device of that size that iPadOS cannot accomodate?
First, iOS vs. macOS, maybe it could be preference as I prefer the macOS experience over iOS.

I was editing in Logic and using Final Cut while doing pages work etc. and switching back and forth is easier on the laptop (and browsing Safari to get information and other non-pad apps at the same time) and macOS does not feel "clunky" as the iPad as I aways have to touch commands. Just using the keyboard and trackpad, my hands and arms do not have to work as hard as muscle movement and motion is minimal and not having to go back and forth from touching the screen and keyboard, trackpad etc.

Also, as far as using the hardware, the iPad with the attachable keyboard just feels "clunky" too where as the MacBook Laptop is solid in the hand and lap while typing. I have not used the new recent keyboards and iPads in my workflow (like working in the car), for I don't have the luxury of spending $1,000+ to buy an iPad and keyboard JUST to see if it works.

iPad has it usage, but doing work I prefer a laptop. I remember recently talking to a College student who broke her laptop screen and trackpad and was fixing it and she was using an iPad for her school work. I told her, why not just use the iPad instead since it can do all of your tasks for school (as Apple says it is designed for). She told me that "yes" it can do what I need to school...but she prefers a laptop. I asked why? and she said that it just feels better and seems naturally easier for her. She was a college student who grew up using iPhone and iOS technology.

Maybe it is just preference...I do not know. But iPad just seems like a "want-a-be" laptop, but it is not. It has its usage, but doesn't feel like a laptop replacement yet.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
My work laptop is a Lenovo and working with that from the driver's seat of my sedan, even for just a few minutes, is a nightmare. No Apple laptops from work, unfortunately, but a small form factor that I could use for work would be super. Ideally a second ultra portable just like the 12" would be amazing.

Reactions: loby and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Got my 2024 M4 iPad Pro 11" with Magic Keyboard.

1. The iPad Pro is way, way faster of course.
2. It's annoying to open. There is nothing to grasp onto to open it.
3. If I tap too hard at the top of the screen, there is a tendency for it to tilt a bit backwards.
4. The keyboard travel feels much nicer than the 12" MacBook. However, the 18 mm key spacing is not as nice as the 12" MacBook's 19 mm.
5. The haptic trackpad of the Magic Keyboard feels much nicer than the 12" MacBook's.
6. With the Magic Keyboard, the iPad Pro 11" feels much heavier than the 12" MacBook.
7. The screen quality of the iPad Pro is excellent, but it's smaller.
8. The idiosyncrasies of iPadOS are still annoying, even with the nice trackpad.

EDIT:

9. Citrix Workspace remains a PITA. The mouse pointer does not work with the trackpad. I guess I'll still have to use my 12" MacBook to remote into work when on vacay. Or sort of. I can use the touchscreen instead of the trackpad, but that's annoying. Apparently an external mouse would work though, although I have not confirmed that.

Apparently a fix is coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: loby and leifp

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Got my 2024 M4 iPad Pro 11" with Magic Keyboard.

1. The iPad Pro is way, way faster of course.
2. It's annoying to open. There is nothing to grasp onto to open it.
3. If I tap too hard at the top of the screen, there is a tendency for it to tilt a bit backwards.
4. The keyboard travel feels much nicer than the 12" MacBook. However, the 18 mm key spacing is not as nice as the 12" MacBook's 19 mm.
5. The haptic trackpad of the Magic Keyboard feels much nicer than the 12" MacBook's.
6. With the Magic Keyboard, the iPad Pro 11" feels much heavier than the 12" MacBook.
7. The screen quality of the iPad Pro is excellent, but it's smaller.
8. The idiosyncrasies of iPadOS are still annoying, even with the nice trackpad.

EDIT:

9. Citrix Workspace remains a PITA. The mouse pointer does not work with the trackpad. I guess I'll still have to use my 12" MacBook to remote into work when on vacay. Or sort of. I can use the touchscreen instead of the trackpad, but that's annoying. Apparently an external mouse would work though, although I have not confirmed that.

Apparently a fix is coming.

Let's not devolve this into an iPad vs Mac thread because that's what would happen. I can't use iPadOS for everything and so an iPad doesn't interest me.

I loved my 12" MacBook so much. The two things I hated were how hot and slow it'd get. M-series chips eliminate those problems. Why not, Apple? Why not??

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Let's not devolve this into an iPad vs Mac thread because that's what would happen. I can't use iPadOS for everything and so an iPad doesn't interest me.

I loved my 12" MacBook so much. The two things I hated were how hot and slow it'd get. M-series chips eliminate those problems. Why not, Apple? Why not??
Well, I don't see the 12" MacBook coming back anytime soon, so the question for me is whether I eventually move on to a 13" MacBook Air or if I can do my work on an iPad Pro. It's getting close for the iPad Pro, but it's not quite there yet. However, it's a lot closer now than it was when I bought my 12" MacBook back in 2017...for me.

YMMV.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Well, I don't see the 12" MacBook coming back anytime soon, so the question for me is whether I eventually move on to a 13" MacBook Air or if I can do my work on an iPad Pro. It's getting close for the iPad Pro, but it's not quite there yet. However, it's a lot closer now than it was when I bought my 12" MacBook back in 2017...for me.

YMMV.
I stopped waiting and bought a M2 MacBook Air from a 12" MacBook 2015. It is a really good Air.

But...I still go back to my clunky key 12" low powered MacBook 2015 for general tasks. I use both, but even now I am typing on the 12" MacBook.

I just like it. The looks, the size, the weight...it is more convenient then the MacBook Air is some usage even though it is old. General stuff it is still "ok".

Ipad has its usage and place, but I am still on the thought (like Apple was..but seems to be now changing), that an iPad is an iPad and a Mac Laptop is a Mac Laptop. But as of lately, Apple seems to be trying to move people to iPads more so (maybe more money/profit in it for them). I had a 2017 iPad. I liked it...but eventually gave it to a friend.

I will use my MacBook 2015 until it dies probably. I don't see another 12" MacBook in Apple's future since Apple is pushing more an iPad for replacement.

Why not Apple just put a M1 in a 12" MacBook, fix the keyboard..and sell "as is". Wouldn't it sell?

Reactions: EugW

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Would there be enough people willing to pay extra for a new and upgraded 12"?

Last edited:

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
What spec and where are you located?
Nothing special except number of ports including MagSafe. One port never enough. Former size and weight the sweet spot for me to go with my 6S, 12mini, 13mini, iPad 4mini and iPad 6mini. Toronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: leifp

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Nothing special except number of ports including MagSafe. One port never enough. Former size and weight the sweet spot for me to go with my 6S, 12mini, 13mini, iPad 4mini and iPad 6mini. Toronto.
Taranna! Some tasty food there. Less than tasty traffic…

• Haha
Reactions: EugW

staceyu

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
Would there be enough people willing to pay extra for a new and upgraded 12"?
Well the 13' Air already exists, and it's within 10% of the size of the 12. I'd doubt we'll ever see a return to a form factor like this again due to the sacrifices done to make this form factor possible (Special/fragile keyboard layout, odd battery replacement, poor thermal management, poor port selection.) And honestly if I could run MacOS on a iPad Pro, I wouldn't make an effort to hang on to the 12 rMB.

That said while I love my iPhone, can't say that I'm all that thrilled with the Air. I honestly would rather have MacOS on the iPad Pro or I might just bail and get a Asus ROG Z13. At the end of the day I just want a lightweight tablet that is capable of running a game, can be comfortably held, and can do some actual work. The iPad is capable but it's hamstrung by its OS. I'm not ever buying an iPad again as long as that's the case.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I was traveling this week and I had to choose which laptop I would take: Either my old 12” MacBook 2015 or my m2 MacBook Air..

I chose the 12” MacBook. Even though it is underpowered, I was able to do my work on it. Light and small, It worked well on my lap and in the inconvenient places that the MacBook Air would be “ok”..but..STILL…the 12” MacBook worked better.

Yes, the butterfly keys are not as good as the current, but acceptable for me. Yes..it is way underpowered, BUT it is STILL convenient to use for travel.

I am not expecting another 12”, so I have to continue to use the old 12” MacBook until it dies. Then just go ahead and use the MacBook Air. MacBook Air is a great Mac, but the old 12” still has its usage and place.

Ango83

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2024
I was traveling this week and I had to choose which laptop I would take: Either my old 12” MacBook 2015 or my m2 MacBook Air..

I chose the 12” MacBook. Even though it is underpowered, I was able to do my work on it. Light and small, It worked well on my lap and in the inconvenient places that the MacBook Air would be “ok”..but..STILL…the 12” MacBook worked better.

Yes, the butterfly keys are not as good as the current, but acceptable for me. Yes..it is way underpowered, BUT it is STILL convenient to use for travel.

I am not expecting another 12”, so I have to continue to use the old 12” MacBook until it dies. Then just go ahead and use the MacBook Air. MacBook Air is a great Mac, but the old 12” still has its usage and place.
I can totally relate to this. I reach for my 12" macbook for day to day tasks and don't hesitate taking it away as, although on the slow side, I know I can totally rely on it for simple work tasks.

Recently I've been looking at the lenovo x1 nano. I'm beginning to think I have a thing for small capable devices!

Reactions: loby and leifp

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I can totally relate to this. I reach for my 12" macbook for day to day tasks and don't hesitate taking it away as, although on the slow side, I know I can totally rely on it for simple work tasks.

Recently I've been looking at the lenovo x1 nano. I'm beginning to think I have a thing for small capable devices!
Yes..I have seen some nice small Windows Laptops, but I really can't go back to Microsoft. I burned that bridge some years ago, though I use Windows on occasion. Windows 10 and 11 have grown to be a decent OS, but my preference is still macOS and Apple gear. Even the "want to be" Mac Windows clone laptops are nice, but no.

I am typing this now on a M2 MacBook Air, but still prefer the MacBook 12". I replaced the battery on the MacBook 12" just before the price hike last year, so I think I am good for some years (or until it dies). I think it should last for awhile still I do not tax the CPU or GPU. I just use the MacBook for general stuff.

It has been said a lot on this forum, but if Apple "just" put an M1 in the 12" form and fix the keyboard, it would be a "go to" laptop. But Apple has made the decision that the iPad will due instead, and they have numbers and smarter people than me to determine what they make money on...so we are out of luck and have to settle with the MacBook Air.

The MacBook Air is a great laptop...but...it is not a MacBook 12'. Oh well..

Reactions: servenvolley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.