JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Odyssey G8 G80SD 32 inch Intermittent Black Screen

(Topic created: a week ago)
userh7SUqvY42e
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am on my 2nd monitor this month. The first was returned and the 2nd one continues with the same problem. The screen will randomly go black completely then if I go to the settings screen it pulsates in brightness. I have it on video. It is as if it loses communication with the computer. If I disable game mode the screen comes back then I can restart game mode again. It also fixes when I remove and reinstall the DP cable. Speaking to tech support has been useless because they have no idea what the problem is. Also the phone kept disconnecting. I wish someone would get back to me to figure this out. I love the monitor but this is insane. I have found others having the same problem. As of yesterday I am trouble shooting on my own until this Tuesday. If I cannot get this resolved I am returning the second one before I lose that chance. I am running the Odyssey with a second monitor with 2 DP cables. Today I disconnected the 2nd monitor and used the HDMI cable and so far the screen hasn't blacked out. I really wish someone could figure this out. I have read others with the same issue on Reddit, anyone else?     

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userh7SUqvY42e
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thx for the reply. Sorry about your issue. Yes I am just going to return it. I will monitor the updates and if I see anything that can convince me to buy it again I may do it. I love the monitor but it's not right. Thx for your info I will click accept as solution even though it has not been resolved technically. 

View solution in context

11 Replies
SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory
Okay, so the first question is, what is a DP cable? The second question is, have you tried getting entirely new cables? Finally, is it still within the return window? Because I have been having a problem with a Samsung TV for which a return was initiated about four to six months ago, and I'm still waiting for them to finalize the process and give me the replacement TV. It has been a nightmare. The worst part is that I started having issues with it within the first couple of days and wanted to return it, but tech support gave me several different troubleshooting steps that kept helping. Of course, they stopped helping the day after the return period ended.
0 Likes
userh7SUqvY42e
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have used the OEM DP cable that comes with the monitors. I even tested with one of my own and it does the same thing. This is insane! Now you have me worried. I ended up buying a 2nd monitor full price at the time the RMA was done to return the first. They told me they would price match the first one and make sure I get the $300 gift card. I am in nearly $2500 right now and still have a defective monitor. This morning I spoke to Samsung tech support and he has me doing some trouble shooting. He had me drop the Windows Display resolution down to 2560x1600 to see if anything happens. He sent me a text so I can contact him easier. I don't have much confidence and have a feeling I am going to send this one back also. I wish I would have bought it locally, I have maxed out my credit card and cant afford to do this. I can't believe you have waited 4-6 months for a replacement. So you sent yours back and they have not responded? Call them! Let me know what happens. I can't believe this with one of the biggest companies in the world.

0 Likes
SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory
No, I am in the middle of the warranty process. It starts with them trying to fix it, which they brought the wrong part. Then after a week and a half they replaced the part which it ended up being a bad motherboard, and then it was still happening. So they opened a new repair ticket, the repair technician sent it to be replaced without ever coming. That process took about a month, and then the shipping company that they use takes forever. They finally in the middle of may, the shipping company that is, just texted me out of the blue oh hey we're going to deliver it on this day at this time are you available? They didn't give me options or anything they just kind of dictated to me when they were delivering it. I was unavailable at the time on the weekdays. They don't deliver on the weekends. They finally ended up sending it back to samsung, and told me to contact Samsung when I would be available on a weekday. I did that about 2 weeks ago. I am now waiting on this new replacement like phone call or whatever for them to deliver it.
0 Likes
userh7SUqvY42e
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

So what was wrong with yours?

0 Likes
SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory
It was actually a TV, not a monitor. And it has a bad motherboard. Other than that, I don't know. There are a whole bunch of BS issues. Your best and easiest option, if it is still in the return window, is to just return it. If I have given you information that is a solution that works for you, please click the three dots to the right of my name and click "Accept Solution."
0 Likes
Solution
userh7SUqvY42e
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thx for the reply. Sorry about your issue. Yes I am just going to return it. I will monitor the updates and if I see anything that can convince me to buy it again I may do it. I love the monitor but it's not right. Thx for your info I will click accept as solution even though it has not been resolved technically. 

userra
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory
Maybe you need a new display port vesa certified cable?
0 Likes
userh7SUqvY42e
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've been using the ones that came with the monitor and also tested with mine. Same issues. THX

0 Likes
Profilers
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Well this issue is the same issue I have with two Brand new G7 Models.

From my understanding after 4 months of troubleshooting, research and comparison with other users on Samsung forums and elsewhere the issue are caused by *Faulty Panels and/or Mobo*

You will and most likely have to RMA the panels a few times.

- The panels are either mishandled during transportation or during manufacturing

- The panels are either too fragile for the kind of transportation and breaks easily

- The panels are either made with bad quality components which would break easily.

- The panels are either manufactured defectively

- The panels could have faulty chips which would overheat and crash the monitor.

One things for sure is that something is happening to these monitors (G*) from the manufacturer to the warehouse to the customer.

I have been dealing with repairs for over 2 months now without any solution. It takes 1 full month for them to repair a monitor and I have two....

And since Samsung denied me an exchange or refund after my first monitor got repaired and is still acting with black screen with the additions of dead pixels

I'm now dealing with my Bank for two Charged Backs

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU RETURN YOUR MONITOR AND LOOK FOR A DIFFERENT BRAND.
THEIR RMA SERVICE IS THE WORSE PLEASE TRUST