Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I still haven't forgiven Apple for...

Well this doesn't directly answer your question about "the worst OS X version". But since you already mentioned things you haven't forgotten and haven't forgiven Apple for:

I'll never forgive Apple for what they did when they introduced iMessage. That is, they quietly started channeling SMS messages to your computer instead of your iPhone. Like WHAT THE HELL??

Suddenly, I stopped receiving any messages on my iPhone - and who the hell will look for messages on a Mac??

Took me time - and visits to my mobile service provider and the Apple store - until I realized that I also needed to disable some checkbox on BOTH my iMac and MacBook Pro to restore the ability to receive my messages on the phone.

By the time I sorted it out, I missed several important messages, which led to undesirable events (or lack of events) that were important to me back then.

So yeah, this I'll never forgive. This was also one of the main factors that made me eventually switch to Android for anything mobile.

• Wow
Reactions: ojfd and MBAir2010

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
That depends on what mac you are using and what for.
Sonoma was incredibly fast on my macbook air and macmini M1 with only 8GB RAM.

i'm trying to remember what the advances from Ventura were though.
The only thing I can think of right now are the (admittedly nice) new animated screensavers. But... I haven't been using screensavers since... idk, the early 2000s maybe?

Reactions: MBAir2010

galad

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2022
Well this doesn't directly answer your question about "the worst OS X version". But since you already mentioned things you haven't forgotten and haven't forgiven Apple for:

I'll never forgive Apple for what they did when they introduced iMessage. That is, they quietly started channeling SMS messages to your computer instead of your iPhone. Like WHAT THE HELL??

Suddenly, I stopped receiving any messages on my iPhone - and who the hell will look for messages on a Mac??

Took me time - and visits to my mobile service provider and the Apple store - until I realized that I also needed to disable some checkbox on BOTH my iMac and MacBook Pro to restore the ability to receive my messages on the phone.

By the time I sorted it out, I missed several important messages, which led to undesirable events (or lack of events) that were important to me back then.

So yeah, this I'll never forgive. This was also one of the main factors that made me eventually switch to Android for anything mobile.
That's not how it's supposed to work. The messages will be on both the Macs and on the iPhone. I guess you hit some weird bug.

Anyway, Yosemite easily win the "worst" release badge.

Reactions: Slix

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
well Monterey is annoying me!

i was watching the Tour d France on the Mini M! while searching for leader board on the MBAM1
when safari displayed 9 sync'd tabs related to the mini and 3 are form April....annoying.
THEN while closing the defected tabs i closed the TDF tab (on the MBAIr) an fthat closed the actual live tab on the mini! so i had to stand up an approach the mini refresh the website that the MBA decided to close.

that never happened.... even with iPad-Mini-MBA sync'd tabs i think, who knows anymore.

there is many other bothersome things that i just shrug off, as i did with ElCrap nowadays.

this will all end Friday (for a month) as good ol trusty Mountain Lion will solve all these annoyances!

If we can only use Yosemite on these great, but annoying M1 computers!

galad

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2022
That's the way it works on recent macOS and iOS versions, it lets close tabs remotely from another device.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I have been using macs since Snow Leopard and have never really had any significant issues with any of the OS since then to be honest. I can't remember a single issue that would make me say "X was the worst version for me". I have only seen improvements from any version to its following.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
That's not how it's supposed to work. The messages will be on both the Macs and on the iPhone. I guess you hit some weird bug.

Well I'm sure by now iMessage works as expected. But back when it was introduced in 2011 (or 12) it was a total disaster. Tons of users experienced various issues (including the one I described). It resulted in a period where messaging on iPhone became totally unreliable.

Last edited:

platinumaqua

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2021
I've used Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mavericks, High Sierra, Big Sur, and Monterey.

I used to dislike Leopard, but then every version after Mavericks is worse than the version before - I'm skipping them all unless I'm forced to use it.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
For me, it would be 10.5 Leopard or 10.7 Lion. They both were so over sold and massively underdelivered. And the upgrade cycle being longer back then, it really was a pain.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
can i say Catalina to Sonoma weere the worst? for me!
they seem like one big non-computer user system that is poison ivy in their  garden.

Reactions: Snowlover

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Lion was absolutely terrible, it’s the only OS I ever downgraded. I jumped back some time after iCloud was enabled. Other than Lion, I wasn’t too happy with Yosemite.
When Lion first came out, it was rough. Snow Leopard by the end of its lifecycle was spot on stable. Lion seem to need a lot of memory. It ran excellent on my 2010 Macbook Pro with 16GB of memory, but anything less was a dog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.