Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
That’s video not photo
Yes, there's some confusion about spatial capture on the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max, which use two lenses to get slightly different perspectives. You can take spatial video in video capture mode by holding the phone in landscape orientation and tapping the AVP icon. Spatial video sometimes requires more light. AFAIK, there is no current way to take spatial photos on the iPhone 15 with the native Camera app, but there is a third-party app that does this.

visionOS 2.0 lets you convert any 2D photo to spatial format, as Spatial Media Toolkit has for some time. (SMT also works on video.) The conversions are quite good, but not the same as capturing the scene stereoscopically to begin with.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Thanks for all the responses. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t provide an option for Spatial Photos natively. Like many things, I just want to understand.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I wish they’d add more animation to that one. It feels too static
Totally agree! I’m still earning about just how much animation they can do in Environments but a ship flying by or some other movement would be great. I also wish I could watch a show without it dimming the Environment. For me not everything needs to be a cinema. Simpsons would be fine in daylight even from two suns.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I upgraded yesterday and haven't had any bugs/issues yet. Its very responsive, stable and the new gesture to get to the Home Screen is very welcome.

Reactions: fatTribble

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Totally agree! I’m still earning about just how much animation they can do in Environments but a ship flying by or some other movement would be great. I also wish I could watch a show without it dimming the Environment. For me not everything needs to be a cinema. Simpsons would be fine in daylight even from two suns.
There’s an option to uncheck Auto-Dimming when watching a video. Click on the Ellipsis (…).

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I upgraded yesterday and haven't had any bugs/issues yet. Its very responsive, stable and the new gesture to get to the Home Screen is very welcome.
You will find some glitches but nothing serious.
I wonder how iOS 18 beta is in this respect. I would like to install it on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, but I’m afraid it may have bugs that would affect its usability.

Reactions: ascender

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
You will find some glitches but nothing serious.
I wonder how iOS 18 beta is in this respect. I would like to install it on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, but I’m afraid it may have bugs that would affect its usability.
From my prior experience with pre-release versions, I'd be wary. I've installed late betas of iOS for several years and found them to be quite buggy. Heck, even the release versions took a while to settle down. I suspect the risk with this version is even higher, since there are so many changes.

But there are multiple threads about iOS 18 on MR, so you may want to start there before you take the plunge.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
From my prior experience with pre-release versions, I'd be wary. I've installed late betas of iOS for several years and found them to be quite buggy. Heck, even the release versions took a while to settle down. I suspect the risk with this version is even higher, since there are so many changes.

But there are multiple threads about iOS 18 on MR, so you may want to start there before you take the plunge.
Thank you. I already went into the other threads in MR, and I may wait on the iPhone.
I already installed on an iPad Pro 2rd Gen and so far it's working good. I'll wait a little longer; no rush.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
In VisionOS 1 you constantly got the message „tracking failed“ in total darkness. This is no more in visionOS 2. the passthrough gets black without grain and you can use the AVP as usual.
I always assumed it needed the light to detect your fingers. So much for my assumption ����

Reactions: Macaholic868

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
So far so good here! I’ve been running it for nearly week. I have noticed I have to calibrate my eyes more often than I did under the final version of 1.2. I hit a bug during one of the 1.x beta’s where I had to do it almost every two to three days but they fixed it early on in the v1.2 beta process and I didn’t have to do it again until I went about week without using it deliberately just to see what my work flow was like without it. Since 2.0 I’ve had to do it twice but that’s to be expected in a beta and the two times I did it seemed to be result of removing the lenses in the device since I was wearing contacts for a couple of days then having to recalibrate when I stopped and went back to glasses so that’s probably to be expected. We’ll see if it happens again now that I’m back to wearing glasses with the device and leaving those optical inserts in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.