Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
This is kind of irrelevant, but I just picked up a 2nd hand Keyboard Folio for my M2 off eBay for £15(!), perfect working order but the rear is covered in residue from stickers (I sticker anyway so no worries). Anyway, what a fantastic bit of kit this keyboard is, lightweight, nice to type on and I have no need for a trackpad, perfect iPad accessory! Hope it gets renewed for the M4.
Last year I grabbed a 12.9 smart keyboard folio of eBay. Cost me $100, but it was brand new in the box.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for Apple to make a new version of the Smart Keyboard Folio for the M4 pros. They’re going all-in on the “iPad as a laptop“ positioning and the high prices that go along with that.

• Sad
Reactions: Wormald

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
A YouTube reviewer demonstrated that the weight was same as the New Magic keyboard. Great news because the original Combo Touch was so bulky and heavy. This might be an option for me as well.
Big downside, however: no USB-C charging port.
I honestlly looked around alot and could not find one lighter than the magic keyboard. Sigh. One long-shot alternative was just the plain case with Apple’s regular BT keyboard. Would be about 100 gram (1/4 lb) lighter but too much messing about and no trackpad.

Ended up buying the Magic KB again but this time I got black as I originally intended. Gotta be in my head but the white one felt heavier. Maybe it was just becuase I knew how dirty it would look in short order! :p

Magic Keyboard is nice and I am using it right now. I just wish it could weigh a bit less yet.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
On my M1, I had the Smart Keyboard when I was mobile, and the Magic Keyboard when I was stationary. I liked the convenience and protection of the Smart Keyboard, and the typing experience of the Magic Keyboard.

Ihave the M4 now, and bought it with the Folio case for protection, and Magic Keyboard which is definitely a better experence than before. Id still get the Smart Keyboard Folio again if they ever offered it.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
1. Why the hell do we need a trackpad on an ipad keyboard? An ipad is not a laptop replacement.
2. MK is so freaking heavy. WTF?
3. How/why on earth would Apple not keep the smart folio keyboard option???? Someone at apple should be held accountable. I'm literally not buying another ipad until there is a lighter option available.
Came here to rant about this very subject (no Smart Keyboard Folio for M4 iPads), and I couldn’t have summarized it better myself. The Magic Keyboard weighs 800 pounds and compromises almost every aspect about the portability mission of the iPad. Ugh.

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
I too was completely bummed that Apple didn’t release a new version of the Smart Keyboard Folio. I absolutely loved that thing. But, for my new 11in iPad M4 I did get a Logitech Combo Touch. I love the detatchability.

I’m a bit of a case hoarder. I also got a foilo case from KingBlanc (Thanks to whomever it was on here that posted the rec-it’s great), and on a lark I also got an Arteck Bluetooth keyboard. For $20 you can’t beat it. I absolutely LOVE it. Super light weight. Super easy to throw into the bag if I’m headed out in case I need to type. Now, I’m not one of those keyboard nuts, but the key stroke is FANTASTIC on this thing! Nice and deep. It’s so fun to bang out a page of notes or an email.

Arteck Universal Backlit 7-Colors Ultra Light Slim Portable Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard for iOS iPad Pro, Air, Mini, Android, Windows Tablets PC Smartphone Built in Rechargeable 6-Month Battery https://www.amazon.com/Arteck-HB030B-Universal-Bluetooth-Rechargeable/dp/B00X5P8BJO

Highly Recomment.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Came here to rant about this very subject (no Smart Keyboard Folio for M4 iPads), and I couldn’t have summarized it better myself. The Magic Keyboard weighs 800 pounds and compromises almost every aspect about the portability mission of the iPad. Ugh.
Glad somebody agrees with me! I said that earlier and got roasted. Just got back from a business trip hauling my IPP with Magic Keyboard and my MBP 16”. That’s a lot of weight!

Though I do use the touch pad sometimes. Sometimes it works better for certain tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.