Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
Same in Dutch. Microsoft was especially bad with Office 2011 on the Mac. Instead of saying ‘Stop Word’ which would be the same as in other applications, it said ‘Einde Word’ which is both grammatically incorrect (It should be ‘Beëindig Word’) and also just a weird sentence. It could be interpreted as ‘The end of Word’ o_O
80% of windows 7 in japanese was just english words written in the japanese alphabet lol.

Reactions: Amethyst1

crybits

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2024
To clarify this:

"File" in the menu is not "the file", but "to file something" ... it is in logic with the menus "edit" and "view"

So the windows translation, as many stuff from Redmond, is crap and wrong. Its "Datei" in German, what indeed means "file", but the noun, not the verb.

Apple uses the verb "to file" here and the translation "Ablage" in German is more correct ... "ablegen" would be even more correct in context to "Bearbeiten" ... but one can argue about that.

Best, Cry

Reactions: Ericdjensen

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
To clarify this:

"File" in the menu is not "the file", but "to file something" ... it is in logic with the menus "edit" and "view"

So the windows translation, as many stuff from Redmond, is crap and wrong. Its "Datei" in German, what indeed means "file", but the noun, not the verb.

Apple uses the verb "to file" here and the translation "Ablage" in German is more correct ... "ablegen" would be even more correct in context to "Bearbeiten" ... but one can argue about that.

Best, Cry
Not sure that is right, since one of the options in that menu in most applications is Open File. Menus are a mixture of objects and activities. In my browser menu I have History and Bookmarks alongside Window. Not sure how you would see those as analogous to Edit or View.

Reactions: jackoverfull

crybits

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2024
You can file a document to different locations and formats, like export, print, and other in this menu. That's the origin of the "File" menu.

crybits

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2024
Oh nice, my Lisa is not running currently ... but its always a joy to see that good Apple decisions lead to 40 years consistent GUI

Reactions: jackoverfull

crybits

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2024
Found this text to clarify this more:

"Now to the linguistic aspect (which I consider only second in relevance here, but still, for completeness, let's briefly dive into that, too):
I do believe that Apple's (or whoever's it actually is) translation of "File" in that particular case is not only correct but also the most adequate one. The entire setting of a "desktop" was specifically chosen (by Apple as well as by others before and after) to reflect the metaphor of a (traditional) office desktop. While the English word "file" does translate into "Datei" in German for technical data recording/indexing/processing purposes (e.g. in a library of books or for a computer's file system = Dateisystem), in the context of office work and (traditionally paper-bound) office processes the word "Ablage" is the correct translation. So whoever selected that wording in German (I'm not even sure it was Apple or someone before; but again this is not relevant here) did a very fine job, because it adequately reflects, in German, the intended notion of the desktop metaphor."

Source: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91612

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91612 said:
[...] in the context of office work and (traditionally paper-bound) office processes the word "Ablage" is the correct translation.
This explains why the File, err, Ablage menu is where a new folder is created or interacted with.

crybits

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2024
For a deep dive into the Interface details I recommend:

Its German but we have genAIs today ;)

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I "love" how ejecting a volume has gone from a simple operation that required no more than a second to a game of luck that could result in a reboot. :)
I never had ti reboot to eject anything. I VERY OFTEN had to quit the finder and use diskutil eject from the terminal (I guess disk utility would work too).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I never had ti reboot to eject anything. I VERY OFTEN had to quit the finder and use diskutil eject from the terminal (I guess disk utility would work too).
I used to resort to terminal commands when using Tiger/Leopard at my old job. Once you got the beach ball after ejecting a server share, force quitting Finder meant it would not restart - which meant rebooting. You could wait for the beachball to stop, but you'd be there for hours and most times it was just hung.

Now, my reaction to an eject that won't happen is to disconnect from the network or pull a plug from a drive. It's ugly, but most of the time it prevents a reboot.

[Disclaimer: I set out for a short, two or three paragraph response, but this spiralled out of control. Sorry, everyone.]

I used to resort to terminal commands when using Tiger/Leopard at my old job. Once you got the beach ball after ejecting a server share, force quitting Finder meant it would not restart - which meant rebooting. You could wait for the beachball to stop, but you'd be there for hours and most times it was just hung.

Now, my reaction to an eject that won't happen is to disconnect from the network or pull a plug from a drive. It's ugly, but most of the time it prevents a reboot.

I’d hazard to guess (as I haven’t definitively found documentation verifying this) the LAN-facing process to leave Finder and file system access from WindowServer hanging when eject aren’t happening when desired — and the phenom, post-Snow Leopard, of long hangs after waiting for the system to draw up an application list when right-clicking “Open with…” — are probably rooted in shared origin.

At some point during macOS development, Apple developers refined or changed an essential background process to depend a lot more heavily on what other Macs on the local network have/are doing before releasing activity locally on a system being controlled physically by the user — a kind of network- or server-priority to how the OS functions. (A network-/server-priority departs from a local-/client-priority of, say, making a volume eject a more cumbersome affair now than it once was.)

I don’t have a ready way to test the precise moment this behaviour changed (OS or hardware-wise), or to pinpoint which process it is (without doing a lot of tail process debugging-level logging). The rough contours of when the “Force eject…”/timing-out dialogue of a stubborn volume arrived to macOS (whether local-physical being shared on the LAN or a network-attached volume), appeared not terribly long before the “Open with…” LAN-polling long delays began to emerge as a quote-unquote normal behaviour.

Forever-hangs (like those bedraggling Tiger and Leopard users like you’re describing here) might have been something Apple wanted to limit after fielding user feedback (including their own internal testing) which complained of watching an I/O error of a failing HDD or a hanging network volume de facto bringing down the whole system.

[Even so, in Snow Leopard, “Force eject…” was a new arrival — possibly part of the Cocoa Finder re-write. The “Open with…” hang, however, arrived sometime after Snow Leopard (that is: I’ve never successfully replicated the “Open with…” hang-delay on any SL Mac ever), as Snow Leopard and earlier don’t try to poll other LAN-connected Macs to find suitable application candidates to add to an “Open with…” list.]

LAN polling delays of “Open with…” may also speak to one’s own home network (and/or if any devices are connected at low-bitrate, as distal devices on the edge of a wifi network or legacy PowerPC Macs are negotiating at 10/100 Base-T Ethernet speeds).

The thing about this behaviour to perplex me is an insistence that network-dependent priority is something Mac users desire, without an opt-in/out feature (even an advanced one buried in an OnyX toggle), in Apple’s “it just works” objective. Also, that people would still think to open a LAN-located application over a local one may be a carryover from the Mac OS era, but a network-launched, “LAN-cloud” application is still going to be a slower experience, even on fast local networks.

The prevalence of “[Volume] couldn’t be ejected because [another application] is using it” or “[Volume]” isn’t ejecting properly” may be to prevent users from suddenly losing work on, say, a project (whose file is on an ejecting volume). That Apple didn’t bother to feature a Finder dialogue warning similar to “Force eject…”, but warning how “[an open file] in [application] may lose data by force-ejecting [volume]”, yet giving them the option to do it anyway, is what I find perplexing — and, at particular times, annoying.

Anyhow, tl;dr: I pepper this with a lot of “may” qualifiers. It means getting to the root of which process was changed to behave in these manners are still unknown (to me, at least).

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.