Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandopicker101

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2022
Apologies if this is an obvious question…

Having upgraded from an iPad 8 to a refurbed Air M1, I’m figuring out how to sweat my existing peripherals with adapters and new cables. My iTrack Solo was originally working with a separate power source and then a connection to the Lightning port. Figuring out that set up with the Air is looking like a chain of connectors. From iPad 8 days I know this doesn’t always play nicely.

However, I read on Focusrite‘s own support pages that the Pro can provide sufficient bus power…but is this the case for the Air M1? An initial wire together indicates this might work (Solo lights up). I ask only because I have a modest budget for bits and pieces which is rapidly dwindling and now would be the time to identify any additional bits/bobs.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. That said if there is an option to power a peripheral from an external power source, I always choose to use the external power source.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
However, I read on Focusrite‘s own support pages that the Pro can provide sufficient bus power…but is this the case for the Air M1?
It says in black and white on the product page that you only need mains power if you're using an iPad, so you can be pretty confident. Plenty of audio interfaces with 2 or even 4 channels run happily off USB 2 and don;t even have a mains power option. I'm currently using a Behringer UMC404 with 4 input channels and that only needs the optional mains adapter if you're sending phantom power to a bunch of mics.

But...

That said if there is an option to power a peripheral from an external power source, I always choose to use the external power source.
I'd agree. For one thing, some USB audio interfaces get reset/power cycled when the computer reboots. Now, I'm sure we're all good little people and power up our rigs in the right order, speakers last, with the gain set to zero - but that's very easy to forget if you have to reboot because of a crash or software installation, and my interface certainly sends a nasty 'pop' to the speakers every reboot (maybe that's just Behringer being cheap and cheerful - I don't know, if so that's about the only thing wrong with it) so I always use the adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.