Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
Why I can't burn Windows 11 ISO with Disk Utility app?

There are different types of ISO files, Windows, Linux, macOS. And not a single app can write all ISO images. In fact, it depends on what kind of ISO file you are trying to burn.

UUByte ISO Editor: Best for Windows 11 and Windows 10 ISO

UNetBootin: Best for Linux and Unix based ISO

Etcher: Best for macOS based ISO.

Rawsonmen

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2024
There are different types of ISO files, Windows, Linux, macOS. And not a single app can write all ISO images. In fact, it depends on what kind of ISO file you are trying to burn.

UUByte ISO Editor: Best for Windows 11 and Windows 10 ISO

UNetBootin: Best for Linux and Unix based ISO

Etcher: Best for macOS based ISO.

“WinDiskWriter.app”cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. UUByte ISO Editor runs well on my Mac. I am following this tutorial and I am able to make a Windows 11 bootable USB in a few minutes.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
“WinDiskWriter.app”cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. UUByte ISO Editor runs well on my Mac. I am following this tutorial and I am able to make a Windows 11 bootable USB in a few minutes.
I don't know if the WinDiskWriter will help anyone (never used it yet), but that popup response, the one about an unidentified developer, is simple enough to bypass.
Click on the app to select it. Right-click on the app and choose "Open" from the menu that appears.

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
I'm sorry, this is probably a noob question, but I have a linux LiveCD ISO I need to be bootable on a USB flash drive.

Can I do this with DiskUtil or through the terminal?

Thanks for any help you can provide...
I have used etcher successfully for many Linux distros

Reactions: glitch44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.