About Archived User Storage

Hi,

Good morning.

I would like to check about the Archive User Storage. I do understand that Archived user is a separate licence from the core Google Workspace Business Subscription.

Assuming if I have 20 users in my domain, I would like to archive 3 users. If i subscribe to 3 AU licences, will these affect my normal storage capacity on that 3 users in the pooled storage after archiving done, is Archived user use separate storage or share it with the usual pooled storage ?

Looking forward to your valuable feedback. 

Thank you.

Best Regards,

YK 

Solved Solved
0 5 3,024
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @rickyho282828

There are three different Archive user licenses available in Workspace ( Business Plus Archived User, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus) The price of such license depends on the plan as well. 

Users who are assigned an AU SKU:
- Cannot login to Google with this account at all, or access / use any Google service (core or non-core).
- Do not show up in the Global Address List (GAL). These users are not visible to any Google apps (core or non-core).
- Have their existing shared content working the same way as if the user was still available - i.e. if docs are owned by or shared with that user, those relationships will remain valid and active.
- Users have to have matching SKUs. For example, if the user was on Google Workspace Business Plus, they need to have Archived User Business Plus (to get feature parity).

So the user account has the exact storage as if the normal SKU would be assigned, but the account can't be accessed. The benefit of this license is that it's cheaper, the account data is stored in Google Vault, and all the matters/holds works (If you would delete the user, the data is deleted from the Vault as well).
After some time, you can assign a normal license again (in case of maternity leave for example) - so the account is functional as before. 

You can learn more about managing the former employees and their data in this HC article.

Hope this helps,
Have a great day,
Marcin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hey @rickyho282828

There are three different Archive user licenses available in Workspace ( Business Plus Archived User, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus) The price of such license depends on the plan as well. 

Users who are assigned an AU SKU:
- Cannot login to Google with this account at all, or access / use any Google service (core or non-core).
- Do not show up in the Global Address List (GAL). These users are not visible to any Google apps (core or non-core).
- Have their existing shared content working the same way as if the user was still available - i.e. if docs are owned by or shared with that user, those relationships will remain valid and active.
- Users have to have matching SKUs. For example, if the user was on Google Workspace Business Plus, they need to have Archived User Business Plus (to get feature parity).

So the user account has the exact storage as if the normal SKU would be assigned, but the account can't be accessed. The benefit of this license is that it's cheaper, the account data is stored in Google Vault, and all the matters/holds works (If you would delete the user, the data is deleted from the Vault as well).
After some time, you can assign a normal license again (in case of maternity leave for example) - so the account is functional as before. 

You can learn more about managing the former employees and their data in this HC article.

Hope this helps,
Have a great day,
Marcin

Hi Marcin,

Thank you for your response. It is very useful informatikn about archived userw license.

I got my doubt sorted. 

Best Regards,

YK

But what if you have added additional storage to a Business Starter User? E.g. a 200 GB license and then you archive this user. Will you still need to pay for the 200 GB storage add-on or can it be removed?

Hey @bekre, You can find the archived users quota listed in this article.

The data limit of the Business Starter SKU is 30GB, so if there's more data, you have to leave the quota license assigned, or upgrade the user to the higher SKU and then archive. 

Hope this helps,
Marcin

1. A Business Starter has additional licenses such as Google Drive Storage 200GB and Google Vault. If I archive this user, do I pay for only AU license (means that I need not to pay Google Drive Storage 200 GB + Google Vault anymore?)
2. You said that the data limit of the Business Starter SKU is 30GB, so I need to transition to Google Business Standard or over to have increased storage capability, then archive that user, only pay AU license, need not pay Business Standard + Google Vault (Because we assume to transition to Business Standard, we can remove Google Drive 200GB license)? Is my understand correct?

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors