Original topic:

Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC | Needs to be recalled

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
VinnieB109
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've had this monitor for about a month now, coming from the Neo G9 that I had since released with absolutely no issues. I regret this "upgrade".  Here's just a few issues I've been having....

• Intermittent black screens on both DisplyPort and HDMI inputs 

PC is connected via DisplayPort, Xbox SX is connected via HDMI. It does not matter what settings I have configured for either device, it will intermittent black screens only while gaming. This issue is not present when the Xbox is sitting at the dashboard, or when the PC is sitting at the desktop and/or normal PC use outside of gaming.

Have tried multiple settings on both PC and monitor; G-Sync on and off, VRR on and off, Adaptive Sync on and off, HDR on and off etc. Nothing solves this issue.

While I was playing my Xbox last night, I noticed something that I was able to reproduce. I moved my mouse which wakes up my PC, the screen turned black then back on after a second or two. After about 10 minutes, which is the time I have my PC set to turn off the display, the black screen repeated. I gave it a few minutes and moved my mouse again, same thing happened. Keep in mind that I was not using the input (DisplayPort) that my PC is hooked up to.    

• Black screen when exiting 16:9 games 

As we know, not all games support 32:9 and some games will scale a 16:9 resolution to your monitor. One game that does this is PUBG. To solve this I first started to change the monitors aspect ratio (32:9 to 16:9) via game bar while I had the game running, but once I exited the game the monitor would go black. In order to get an image again, I would have to go into game bar and change the aspect ratio back to 32:9. So then I started to change the monitors ratio before running the game. My desktop displays fine, at a 16:9 ratio. Game starts up in 16:9 but then when I exit the game I'm met with the same black screen. I need to go back into game bar and change the aspect ratio to 32:9 to get the image back.

Now the above issue may not sound too bad, but while I'm in game at 16:9 and have to open Steam for whatever reason (notification, message, voice chat etc.), the monitor also goes and stays black until I switch the aspect ratio.

• Cannot view BIOS  

I just recently discovered this issue a few days ago. This monitor will not display my motherboards BIOS (ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO). When I try to enter the BIOS, the monitor will display a message that there is an error with the connected device and will turn off in XX seconds. I've tried multiple desktop settings; lower resolution, lower refresh rate etc. Nothing worked, wasted a bunch of time on something so simple that a cheap monitor can handle.

• Image not centered 

Just noticed this yesterday, the image is shifted to the right. When I move my mouse cursor all the way to the left, I'm still able to see the cursor and about a 1/4" of black space. When I move it all the way to the right, it disappears. 

I turned pixel shift off, image was still off centered. Restarted/shutdown my PC, still same thing. I pulled the power cable from the monitor for 5 minutes and it made it better, but still not completely centered. Only a tad bit of the mouse cursor gets cutoff when all the way to the right.  

The above issues are not acceptable, especially for a high end gaming monitor. This is no upgrade from my Neo G9, as I had no issues whatsoever. There are topics on Samsung's own community about the intermittent black screening (which seems to be the number one issue), and all over reddit and other forums and Samsung as been silent. Last firmware version 1402.6 was released back in March. Either Samsung is lazy to fix these issues via an update or the issues cannot be fixed with an update. Either way, Samsung needs to address this. 

2 Replies
iaconprime
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@VinnieB109, I have the same issue as you and probably a lot of OLED G9 owners.  Thanks for posting this.  I thought I was the only one.  From my experience, for the issue when you get a black screen, I use hot key (Win + Ctrl + Shift + B) to reset the video driver.  If you have two monitors I have another issue where if I switch to the OLED G9 from my other monitor using Win+P, it will crash freeze my system with no display(ctrl+alt+del does nothing, keyboard unresponsive) at that point I have to hold the power button to power cycle.  BTW I am also on 1402.6 firmware.  Samsung needs to address these issues in the next firmware. 

Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issues with my monitor blacking out when using hdmi port for ps5.  I'm ready to trade it out.  You would never expect a monitor to be the cause of so many problems.

0 Likes