Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I thought that a subscription to AppleNews+ entitles one to reading articles with participating publications.
Yet I find some of them only allow me to read a part of the summary and then announce I need a subscription to read the full article.

Can you tell me if this is the norm or something I need to fix in some manner.
Thanks

SierraVista

macrumors member
May 20, 2024
It’s up to each publisher whether or not News+ subscribers get access to full articles. I see the same paywall message with articles from the Washington Post all the time.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It’s up to each publisher whether or not News+ subscribers get access to full articles. I see the same paywall message with articles from the Washington Post all the time.
So Apple sells you a "service" that links you to teaser headline-type items that the full content of which is behind a paywall? What an awesome business model. #FML #TimmyWinsAgain

Reactions: SalisburySam

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
So Apple sells you a "service" that links you to teaser headline-type items that the full content of which is behind a paywall?
Well, not all content is included in News+ subscription. For publishers, News+ is just another publishing platform in which to reach new subscribers. This is no different than TV app which allows one to access Apple TV+ subscription content and purchase movies and television show content from other distributors.

SierraVista

macrumors member
May 20, 2024
So Apple sells you a "service" that links you to teaser headline-type items that the full content of which is behind a paywall? What an awesome business model. #FML #TimmyWinsAgain

Hah! I agree that it’s silly, especially because “the algorithm” has decided to show me lots of Washpost articles on the News homepage, only about 50% of them I can actually read! At least Apple publishes a list of what IS included on their website, though I’d like an option in the News app to not even see articles that I can’t read.

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hah! I agree that it’s silly, especially because “the algorithm” has decided to show me lots of Washpost articles on the News homepage, only about 50% of them I can actually read! At least Apple publishes a list of what IS included on their website, though I’d like an option in the News app to not even see articles that I can’t read.
I too would like to be able to unfollow/delete any newspapers that aren't providing full access.

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Seriously? I don't see this mentioned on the Apple News+ marketing. That's a huge limitation if WaPo articles are behind a paywall despite me paying for Apple News+.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I'm kind of surprised people are so shocked that this is how it works. Apple News is an aggregator, not a library. Who do you think gets the bulk of your Apple News subscription fees? Hint: It's not the publishers. Apple News is a particularly bad deal for the content providers involved and Apple's difficulty maintaining those relationships due to the financial imbalance is not exactly (pardon the pun) news. The whole point of Apple News is to drive traffic to the publisher. That is literally the only benefit that can come of it for the content provider because Apple takes the rest.

Therefore, if there is a particular content provider whose articles you value or that you find yourself referencing again and again, it's always going to be better to subscribe directly with that provider—It's better for you (no spurious restrictions) and it actually supports the publisher (instead of being gravy for a $3T company).

Reactions: lsquare

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
Well, not all content is included in News+ subscription. For publishers, News+ is just another publishing platform in which to reach new subscribers. This is no different than TV app which allows one to access Apple TV+ subscription content and purchase movies and television show content from other distributors.
Isn’t the difference we need to subscribe to News+ at $12.99/mo?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
But u get content w/o paying anymore for it.
Not if you rent or purchase movies or tv shows. I guess the analogy I’m making is Apple News app is similar to Apple TV app. Both are content delivery platforms offering optional paid subscriptions (News+ / TV+) and paid content (magazine subs, etc / movie & tv rental or purchase).

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Seriously? I don't see this mentioned on the Apple News+ marketing. That's a huge limitation if WaPo articles are behind a paywall despite me paying for Apple News+.

You don't get a full WaPo subscription, only access to certain articles. How much more clear can this be?????

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
I'm kind of surprised people are so shocked that this is how it works. Apple News is an aggregator, not a library. Who do you think gets the bulk of your Apple News subscription fees? Hint: It's not the publishers. Apple News is a particularly bad deal for the content providers involved and Apple's difficulty maintaining those relationships due to the financial imbalance is not exactly (pardon the pun) news. The whole point of Apple News is to drive traffic to the publisher. That is literally the only benefit that can come of it for the content provider because Apple takes the rest.

Therefore, if there is a particular content provider whose articles you value or that you find yourself referencing again and again, it's always going to be better to subscribe directly with that provider—It's better for you (no spurious restrictions) and it actually supports the publisher (instead of being gravy for a $3T company).

Exactly this. I've read many times how bad a deal Apple News is for content providers. They make NO money on giving Apple stories and several companies have dropped out of Apple News.

Another great Tim Cook product!!!

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Even before I asked my question - and thanks to you all for commenting on it - I already had subscriptions for nytimes, washingtonpost, nymagazine,thelondontimes. I've also had six month subs to latimes,tucson.com, and jsonline.

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Even before I asked my question - and thanks to you all for commenting on it - I already had subscriptions for nytimes, washingtonpost, nymagazine,thelondontimes. I've also had six month subs to latimes,tucson.com, and jsonline.
How much are you paying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.