Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Whenever I log onto any of my devices I always get a six digit code on any of my other devices for security purposes. Specifically I mean when I am first logging into my iCloud account on any Apple device.

These are the devices I own:

1. Apple Watch S5
2. 2016 MacBook 12 and inch
3. iPad 5th gen
4. iMac 2013

The iMac 2013 just logged me in without asking for a code.

I’m scared to be honest. I know the 2013 doesn’t get software updates anymore nor security updates.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'd assume you've already logged into it previously, so it's already a "Trusted Device."

Be sure you're running macOS 10.15.7, other than that not much to do.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I agree with the previous poster, the security procedure known as 'two-factor-authentication', is most often seen only once, when you log in to icloud with a new device for the first time.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
In system prefs if your Security & Privacy tab looks like this

View attachment 2394474

then your watch opened the iMac or your time to require password might need adjustment.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're way off. You're talking about the regular user password, and the OP clearly mentions the 2 fact auth as the point of concern. Also, that's a screenshot of system preferences from several years ago. Not very helpful.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're way off. You're talking about the regular user password, and the OP clearly mentions the 2 fact auth as the point of concern. Also, that's a screenshot of system preferences from several years ago. Not very helpful.
My bad, I misread the post. So your not very helpful comment is right but the system prefs pic is what it would look like on the 2013 iMac which has nothing to do with the OP's post, lol.

Last edited:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
My bad and you are right about the 2 fact auth. The screenshot was a pic of what his system prefs would look like on a 2013 iMac.
Question, why use 2 fact auth for your devices?
I feel like 2FA was at one point forced upon me by Apple whenever I was updating any and all of my devices.

Just last week I bought a new used iPhone, restored my Apple Watch and my iPhone said that in order for the AWS4 to work that I needed to update my iPhones iOS 16 to iOS 17. But that’s besides the threads main topic here.

—————————-

I just think it weird and odd that when I logged into my 2013 iMac, and by logging in I mean specifically logging into iCloud I think System Preferences, it didn’t ask me for a six digit code from any of my other Apple devices.

And it did ask me for six digit codes after erasing my 2016 12 inch MacBook. And just like the 2016 12 inch MacBook, I erased the drive using disk utility first and then reinstalled Ventura.

Also asked me for six digit 2FA when erasing and restoring my 5th gen iPad and iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.