Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
How do you feel about this product after a year of it being in public? (Obviously it wasn't available until like February, but we had demos and such and talked about it a ton)

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’m still using mine regularly and still love it. I honestly didn’t follow it much before I bought one. A friend convinced me to do a demo which I loved. The more I read about it the more I wanted one. I’m encouraged to see more immersive content being released but that wasn’t my primary use case. I’m eager to see what the new version of visionOS has in it.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
What is your primary use case?
Media consumption both my own media and regular movies and TV. I do a fair amount of travel and take a large number of photos and videos. Vision Pro is great for reliving those moments. Even looking at an Album in Photos is like a gigantic photo wall. The Panoramic photos are amazing to me. I’ve often gasped out loud at at a panoramic because it takes you back to that place and time. I’m starting to capture some spatial video but it’s hard to beat 4K.

Being a Trek fan, The Archive is really intriguing to me. It’s already very good and I’ve read they plan to expand it. I’ve been enjoying some of the new apps more than I expected, the museum apps in particular.

Much of this I could do on my iPhone.
But it’s better on my iPad.
And much, much better on Vision Pro.

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
I’m still using mine regularly and still love it. I honestly didn’t follow it much before I bought one. A friend convinced me to do a demo which I loved. The more I read about it the more I wanted one. I’m encouraged to see more immersive content being released but that wasn’t my primary use case. I’m eager to see what the new version of visionOS has in it.

I didn’t follow it much either. In fact my response when they first announced it was along the lines of … it looks kind of cool but who the bleep would actually wear that thing around the house and whose going to shell out thousands of dollars for one? I decided to pre-order it thinking there was zero chance I’d keep it but would have some fun with it for two weeks, picking it up on a Saturday and returning it two weeks later or selling it for a nice little profit on eBay in the unlikely event it turned out to be a hit. Boy was I wrong about how I’d feel about it …. 😉

I took two weeks off from wearing it on an almost daily basis and didn’t put my hands on it just to see how much I’d miss it and surprisingly I didn’t think I missed it as much until I put it back on again and had a couple of “holy bleep” moments watching a couple of 3D movies I hadn’t seen before along with experiencing Marvel’s What If? app and watching some special videos I took of the lake I live on right after a storm where the sky was lit up and almost had a pink like color, in the evening as the sun was setting and at my older cousin’s 50th birthday party.

As I was watching the new Star Wars series in the Disney+ app from the Star Wars 3D environment on Tuesday I just started looking around that environment then back at the show and I had another “holy bleep” moment. IMO any device that can literally make you feel like you are somewhere else, in some envinronment that doesn’t really exist, or some place real that you’ve never seen with your own eyes before, or reliving a memory with friends and family that feels so real like you’re back there again is something that’s pretty special. To me experiences like that are the killer app.

Reactions: fatTribble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.