Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
For my M2 Mac Mini (which only has 2 lousy USB-C ports on it), I'd like to get a USB-C adapter that minimally has 3-4 additional USB-C ports on it as well as a 2.5 gigabit ethernet port (since I have faster Xfinity X2 service now, might as well use it). Any recommendations? I saw a couple on Amazon that are not brands I've heard of.

This one would be great, but just gigabit ethernet (which is already part of the Mac Mini of course)

Thanks!

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
For my M2 Mac Mini (which only has 2 lousy USB-C ports on it), I'd like to get a USB-C adapter that minimally has 3-4 additional USB-C ports on it as well as a 2.5 gigabit ethernet port (since I have faster Xfinity X2 service now, might as well use it). Any recommendations? I saw a couple on Amazon that are not brands I've heard of.

This one would be great, but just gigabit ethernet (which is already part of the Mac Mini of course)

Thanks!

The real fix is a Thunderbolt 4 Hub/Docking station. Save your pennies!

A Thunderbolt dock will give you lots of expansion and plenty of bandwidth for networking and all of the other things you're going to want to concurrently use with your 2.5gb network connection.

These little glorified USB hubs are nice to pack for travel, but this may be worth consideration: https://www.ebay.com/itm/355754480595

I know this isnt a 2.5gbe network adapter, but youre better off.

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
This is what I use. my regular speed hits around 2+gb.

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
I have this, although I have no 2.5 Gb equipment yet so I bought it for futureproofing. But it does work on my M1 MBA.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks. I actually also do have an adapter like you posted that is just USB-C to a 2.5 gig port, but am ideally looking for one that includes 3-4 female USB ports on it.

Minimally, a hybrid of something like these two would be great:

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
MOKiN makes some decent stuff. I use a 10 port hub from them that has hdmi and vga because one of the lecture halls at work still uses vga projectors. I’ve had it for about 4 years or so and it works great with my MBP.

That said, the M-series chips are terrible for providing bus power, so unless you are just planning on plugging in a wired keyboard and occasional flash drive, I would recommend getting something with its own power source.

I use a thunderbolt dual DisplayPort from Monoprice with my mini. For the $80 I paid, I can’t complain, but I would look at other options if buying now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.