Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I have tried using UPS units in the past - and the experience has never been satisfactory. they have been cumbersome and awkward and they pretty much stop working after a while. I have tried replacing batteries and like that.

question: does anyone have a specific model that they can vouch for? I don't mind spending $200 or thereabouts if it actually does what it's supposed to.

thanks for any suggestions / feedback!

w

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Around here it is often recommended to choose a UPS with (pure) sinewave and compatibility to active PFC PSUs (at least in the Intel days).
I followed the advice and picked one from CyberPower (PFC Sinewave Series 900VA / 540W).
They only add 4W to the power consumption of the connected devices.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I don't mind spending $200 or thereabouts if it actually does what it's supposed to.
What are you wanting it to do?
a) keep your Mac running until power is restored,
b) keep Mac running until battery runs out (less damaging than brownout),
c) provide clean power because your voltage is liable to drop, or
d) enable automatic shutdown of the Mac if power is not restored after say 2 minutes.

Reactions: millerj123 and arw

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
A little addendum to the "UPS or not ??" part.
Yesterday lightning struck 100 meters from us and set a house on fire.
Our main fuse tripped but thanks to the UPS, our server with two VMs and 6 HDDs could gracefully shut down.
Some scenarios are just out of our hands and proof to me, the $200 are money well spent.

I've set it to shut down after 1 minute so even with a more degraded battery, it should be usable for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.