Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

United this week announced that it has updated its iPhone app to add support for Live Activities and the Dynamic Island, allowing United passengers quicker access to flight tracking information.

united-live-activities.jpg

With Live Activities integration, customers have access to their boarding passes, gate, and seat number, as well as a countdown clock to their departure time. The information is visible on the Lock Screen even when the iPhone is locked and the United app is closed, and on the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max, it can also be viewed in the Dynamic Island.

According to United, it is the first U.S. airline to implement support for Live Activities, and the feature was added as United customers check their mobile boarding pass and flight status nearly 800,000 times each day.

When it's time to board the plane, the Live Activities widget can be tapped to open up the boarding pass, and during the flight, there's an in-flight countdown. The United Live Activities integration also offers access to flight number, flight status, inbound aircraft status, estimated departure and arrival times, departure and arrival gates, and baggage carousel information.

United said that Live Activities would be widely available to all United customers by the end of May, but there are already many users who have reported being able to access the feature. Requirements include an up-to-date United app and an iPhone running iOS 16.1 or later.

(Thanks, Adam!)

Article Link: United Airlines Adds Live Activities and Dynamic Island Support for Flight Tracking

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
According to United, it is the first U.S. airline to implement support for Live Activities, and the feature was added as United customers check their mobile boarding pass and flight status nearly 800,000 times each day.

That's because a lot of us/them were wondering when those delayed/canceled flights would resume 😠

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
Interesting ! I wish I had that when I flew with them a few months ago...

At some point, I don't know how they will sync the arrival time when you're in the sky without connection, but hey, I'll appreciate that over nothing at all.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I'm not aware of an IATA Designator of "NHCN" - wonder if its for UA devs to test app? Airline equivalent of 555 area code?

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Just use Flighty.. does all that and more
I do like Flighty, but a native airline app could be better for live activities. The live activities in Flighty are often not accurate. I'm not sure where it gets its data. The flight time seems like just an estimate and not the actual time supplied by the airline. It also needs to show the baggage carousel number when you land. Often the gate is slow to shop up. It's tedious having to enter a lot of the info yourself that would already be known in an airline app.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I do like Flighty, but a native airline app could be better for live activities. The live activities in Flighty are often not accurate. I'm not sure where it gets its data. The flight time seems like just an estimate and not the actual time supplied by the airline. It also needs to show the baggage carousel number when you land. Often the gate is slow to shop up. It's tedious having to enter a lot of the info yourself that would already be known in an airline app.
huh.. just did 4 flights and it was pretty accurate on all times. it also does show the baggage carousel.

I also use TripIt to share my travel plans with my Office and Wife... Flighty syncs that data as well. Forward trip email to TripIt and it's all done. I never enter anything into Flighty

Edit: Will also sync with your calendar.. and can also export to your calendar

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015

I agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.