Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I have a portable SSD containing lots of music and video, and meticulously configured libraries in Music and TV apps for its content. I'd like to have both apps show the same libraries on my 2017 MBA monterey Music and TV (edit: now replaced by a M1 MBA), so I can just plug the drive in the MBA navigate the content like I do on my Mini.

I have just exported the Music library from the Mini, and I expect it will be easy to import it (without importing the media) in Music app on the MBA. But the TV app doesn't seem to have the option to export the library. I see that I can get an import option with holding option key when launching the TV app, but where do I find the TV library on the Mini?

Edit: Nevermind. I guess I found it:
~/Movies/My_TV_Library/TV_Library

Last edited:

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I'm bumping this as I 've had no success.

I copied both .xml libraries from my Mini, Ventura, to my new MBA M1 Sonoma 14.5. Then I tried to import them using "import" in TV and Music apps, and tried pointing their preferences settings to the files. Nothing worked. With both methods, the libraries are dimmed and unselectable. All with the external drive that the playlist libraries points to connected.

Any good ideas much welcome.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I'm apologizing again. The solution was, for both apps; replace their libraries, TV Library and Music Library (plus the xml file) in the Movies and Music folders in your User folder – PLUS pressing option when launching them, to select the libraries. I now have all my playlists from my Mini available on my MBA.

I hope this might help somebody, anyway.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Just for information; I decided, for several reasons unrelated to this, to roll back to Ventura on the MBA, and I used Migration Assistant to get my user account from the Sonoma install. Everything seems fine, except the TV and Music apps. They both report that their libraries can't be used, because they are created with a newer version of the app, and would I like to create a fresh one.

I did the process again, replacing the libraries with ones created on a Ventura system, launched the apps while pressing option, and they load just fine.

(Added; Mail app also wouldn't run on the account migrated from Sonona install. I removed the 'Mail' folder in ~/Library/, and Mail opened fine and just created a new Mail folder in Library.)

Lesson learned; at least with Sonoma rolling back to Ventura, it's not such a good idea to use the user account created in Sonoma. Use one created in Ventura instead. I'm going to let it run for now, and see if anything else comes up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.