Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple chipmaking partner TSMC says it will be ready to move its 3nm chip process to volume production in the second half of this year, putting it on track to supply Apple with the next-generation technology in 2023 (via DigiTimes).

3nm-apple-silicon-feature.jpg
"We expect the ramp of N3 to be driven by both HPC [high performance computing] and smartphone applications," said Wei during an April 14 earnings conference call. "We continue to see a high level of customer engagement at N3 and expect more new tape-outs for N3 for the first year as compared with N5 and N7."
TSMC is expected to initially process 30,000-35,000 wafers manufactured using 3nm process technology monthly, according to industry sources cited by DigiTimes.

A July 2021 report from Nikkei Asia claimed Apple will launch an iPad this year featuring a processor based on TSMC's 3nm process. The report from DigiTimes today also claims the process will first be used by Apple in iPads, although it doesn't say which model or when it would launch.

If true, it would be the second time in recent years that Apple has debuted new chip technology in an ‌iPad‌ before using it in its flagship smartphones. Apple first debuted the A14 Bionic chip, based on 5nm technology, in 2020's fourth-generation iPad Air.

Whether or not it goes down the same adoption route, Apple is expected to release the majority of its devices with 3nm chips fabricated by TSMC in 2023, including Macs with M3 chips and iPhone 15 models with A17 chips.

The move to a more advanced process typically results in improved performance and power efficiency, enabling faster speeds and longer battery life on future Macs and iPhones. According to TSMC, 3nm technology can increase processing performance by 10% to 15% compared to 5nm tech, while reducing power consumption by 25% to 30%.

Some M3 chips are said to have up to four dies, potentially allowing up to a 40-core CPU. In comparison, Apple's M1 chip has an 8-core CPU and the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips have 10-core CPUs.

TSMC said it is also on track to move N3E, an enhanced version of N3, to volume production in the second half of 2022. Wei said TSMC's N3E process would "further extend our N3 family with enhanced performance, power, and yield."

Looking ahead, TSMC said its next-generation N2 (2nm) process development was also on track, and the foundry expects to get ready for risk production at the end of 2024 followed by volume production in 2025.

Article Link: TSMC on Track to Start 3nm Chip Production in Second Half of This Year

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
This is exceedingly awesome news for Apple, and for all of us who appreciate and own Apple products! We should be looking forward to seeing how Apple can maximize the 3nm Apple Silicon process to reduce the size, heat, and power draw of future chips, while increasing the performance and features of future Apple Silicon chips!

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
TSMC is expecting products using its 2nm process to hit the market in 2026. Intel is claiming that its 20A and 18A (2nm and 1.8nm) nodes will enter volume production in 2024 (probably some 18A products will launch in 2025).

If intel does in fact stick to its schedule without delays (unlike the 14nm->10nm debacle), might Intel actually have node superiority in 2024-25?

TSMC seems to be slowing down. Moving to a 3 year cadence vs 2 years during 7->5->3.

farciar

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2022
It sounds nice and exciting but the reality is that not even all Apple product lineup has the M1 chip.

The mac mini is still selling with an intel chip not to mention the mac pro. If they haven't been able to supply M chip on all their product yet I expect the M3 at the end of 2025. I mean mac products not ipads/iphones.

• Disagree
Reactions: lkrupp

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
TSMC said it is also on track to move N3E, an enhanced version of N3, to volume production in the second half of 2022. Wei said TSMC's N3E process would "further extend our N3 family with enhanced performance, power, and yield."
Hey MacRumors, are you sure about this date?? In my head, if they are ramping up production of 3nm for the end of this year, it doesn’t make sense that the volume production of the enhanced version (3NE) is happening the second half of this year.

Also, I don’t quite see Apple releasing an M3 iPad Pro this year while releasing the lineup of M2 macs. I think we will see the M3 iPad Pro in 2023.

All in all, very excited about this news, and eagerly waiting for this key step towards 3nm to jump into the Apple Silicon wagon.

Last edited:

nicolas_s

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
It sounds nice and exciting but the reality is that not even all Apple product lineup has the M1 chip.

The mac mini is still selling with an intel chip not to mention the mac pro. If they haven't been able to supply M chip on all their product yet I expect the M3 at the end of 2025. I mean mac products not ipads/iphones.
They announced a 2-year transition in June 2020. We're not in June 2022 yet so that's why the transition is not complete.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
So what happens after 1nm is reached? We get into sub-zero nm? Oh my
Intel is going to name their processes 20A and 18A (equivalent to 2nm and 1.8nm). A stands for Ångström. It's also worth to mention that 5nm doesn't stand for anything in particular and transistors are much bigger than that so expect node shrinks to continue for a while longer.

Also going below 1nm is not the same as going sub-zero nm. :p

Xardas220

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2017
A July 2021 report from Nikkei Asia claimed Apple will launch an iPad this year featuring a processor based on TSMC's 3nm process. The report from DigiTimes today also claims the process will first be used by Apple in iPads, although it doesn't say which model or when it would launch.
Whether or not it goes down the same adoption route, Apple is expected to release the majority of its devices with 3nm chips fabricated by TSMC in 2023, including Macs with M3 chips and iPhone 15 models with A17 chips.

I am confused with this. If the iPad is this year 2022 the first product that uses the 3nm-technology in its A16, the iPhone 14 (Pro) will also use this node I think because it also comes with the A16. Why will the iPhone 15 with its A17 be the first iPhone then to use the 3nm node? ?
It would be possible that the 3nm-node, because it's second half for volume production, is too late for this years iPhones processor to be 3nm.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I am confused with this. If the iPad is this year 2022 the first product that uses the 3nm-technology in its A16, the iPhone 14 (Pro) will also use this node I think because it also comes with the A16. Why will the iPhone 15 with its A17 be the first iPhone then to use the 3nm node? ?
It would be possible that the 3nm-node, because it's second half for volume production, is too late for this years iPhones processor to be 3nm.
Nah, the A16 series, which the M2 lineup will be based off, will be commercially 4nm, which is another refinement on the 5nm node. In short A15 and A16 will be a series of enhancements of the A14 5nm node.

The next real jump will come with the 3nm, which will come with the A17 and M3 at the earliest. I suspect the leak of the 2022 date for the M3 iPad Pro is dated and has been delayed, or they just got it wrong. It is very unlikely to have 3nm A17 chips on the iPad along with 4nm A16 chips on the iPhones, just like it is very unlikely to have M3 on the iPad Pro just weeks after they release the first M2 macs.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
The mac mini is still selling with an intel chip not to mention the mac pro.
Well MacMini M1 exist, the only reason they kept one with Intel is for people demanding Windows on a Mac and has 0 to do with the fact that "they haven't been able to supply M chip on all their product".

The Mac Pro, well they basically said it's coming (maybe WWDC?) and looks like the 2 year transition is right in time.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Wonderful news. By the time end of May or early June hits production for iPhone 14 will take over.
No, Yay, the iPhone 14 Pro will come with the A16, which will be based on the 4nm node. And the 4nm is, in reality, a very enhanced 5nm process. The regular iPhone 14, if rumors are correct, will come with an A15 chip.

The big jump will come in 2023 with A17 and M3 series chips.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
TSMC is expecting products using its 2nm process to hit the market in 2026. Intel is claiming that its 20A and 18A (2nm and 1.8nm) nodes will enter volume production in 2024 (probably some 18A products will launch in 2025).

If intel does in fact stick to its schedule without delays (unlike the 14nm->10nm debacle), might Intel actually have node superiority in 2024-25?

TSMC seems to be slowing down. Moving to a 3 year cadence vs 2 years during 7->5->3.
2nm on their own fabs? Yeah, I don’t see that happening and, historically, Intel has always overhyped when they would bring new nodes online. After they’ve appeased shareholders and gotten the hype train going, they come out six months later saying and announce that they are delaying rollout. And the analysts give them a pass. I’m not sure why anyone still believes anything Intel says.

And because technology isn’t static, I’m not sure why “node superiority” is important to anyone, other than to spec chasers. Perhaps it’s important to boosters after all the complete debacle that “10nm” has been for Intel. If Intel hits their targets, great for them. I don’t miss them one bit though.

No, Yay, the iPhone 14 Pro will come with the A16, which will be based on the 4nm node. And the 4nm is, in reality, a very enhanced 5nm process. The regular iPhone 14, if rumors are correct, will come with an A15 chip.

I agree. Compared to last year we received this news earlier which of course makes me happy.

Reactions: svish

WWPD

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward

A15 ULTRA

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Well MacMini M1 exist, the only reason they kept one with Intel is for people demanding Windows on a Mac and has 0 to do with the fact that "they haven't been able to supply M chip on all their product".

I near-100% doubt that THAT would be the only reason. Anyone needing Windows on a Mac that bad probably already has an Intel Mac and can install and run full Windows on that Mac. What must be the vast majority of potential Mac buyers probably don't need to buy a new (old) Mini so they can run Windows too. If someone has NO Intel Macs but must have Windows, it will cost them much less to buy a dedicated Windows PC instead.

My guess: a Mac Mini with the M1 or M2 PRO chip will replace that Intel Mini within the next year, starting at about $1299-$1499.

And Mac people needing Windows too- count me among that crowd- need to make the most of Intel Macs they already have and/or embrace pre-Intel Mac, "old fashioned" bootcamp of owning 2 SEPARATE computers again. For "full" Windows, that is THE way forward for those that need both. I'm already moving in that direction myself, selecting a monitor with multiple computer inputs so that I could use a dedicated PC with it too without having to swap video input cables. I went ultra-wide with a split screen feature so I could even get macOS and Windows running on the same screen at the same time.

Last edited:

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
My guess: a Mac Mini with the M1 or M2 PRO chip will replace that Intel Mini within the next year, starting at about $1299-$1499.
they released the mac studio for more power, so i think the mini m1 (m2 in the future) is where the Mac Mini is at.

I Might be wrong, but I do not see the mini going beyond the base cpu.

Reactions: ConfusedChris

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
I think the 3nm iPhone 15 will be my next iPhone. When will it run macOS lite? These chips are processing monsters!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.