Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss the international rollout of Apple Vision Pro and the new Beats Pill Bluetooth speaker.

Apple's Vision Pro headset is now available to pre-order in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom, with availability beginning Friday, July 12. The device also launched today in China, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore. It has been available in the United States since February. We discuss key considerations when buying the Vision Pro, such as storage configurations and accessories, as well as the significance of the device's long-awaited rollout around the world. We also look to the future with Apple's rumored low-cost Vision headset, which may rely on a tethered iPhone for processing power to reduce costs.

In addition, we discuss Apple's new Beats Pill Bluetooth speaker, featuring a completely redesigned speaker system consisting of a single tweeter and a single racetrack woofer, a removable lanyard, USB-C and Bluetooth connectivity, 24 hours of battery life, and IP67 water and sweat resistance. The MacRumors Show has its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about Apple Intelligence, the apparent suspension of work on the second-generation Vision Pro headset, and Apple's rumored plans to move to thinner device designs.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is on X @MacRumorsShowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up w... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Apple Vision Pro Available Around the World

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
The storage capacity vs expected lifecycle of a first version is interesting. 256 GB does not sound like a lot for a Mac, but for an iPhone or iPad it is technically more than plenty.

It's by no mean an answer, but going by the first iPhone that went from OS v1 to iPhone OS 3.x, and the first iPad that went from iPhone OS 3.x to 5.x only.

I wonder if this gives an indication that first models don't last more than 2-3 years before they no longer get updated, but I'd wager those models were based on entirely new SoC/architectures as well, where as the AVP is roughly a head-mounted iPad with a M2 chip and lots of extra components (and the M2 isn't realistically going to be out of breath within 2-3 years).

• Disagree
Reactions: haunebu and lkrupp

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'm not sure I really see Apple Vision as requiring an iPhone tether. If it did, everyone would immediately point toward the Meta Quest which doesn't require a phone tethered to it. Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: AlexJaye

sinanziric

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
This is for rich people to test it first.

I am quite sure that in 10 years this is going to be mainstream, 10x smaller and within $1699 range

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Spent a few hours in one today at an Apple for IT event. Just like my try-on... very exciting product. Apple is in a rush to get these devices managed because it's mostly enterprises who can afford them and develop apps for them.

Nobody there personally owned one. 4 were provided by Apple for testing purposes, and another 3 or 4 were other attendees who brought corporate purchased assets.

I kinda feel AVP is like a commercial airliner... few people own one due to the cost, you just borrow time on one. Not sure that's a feasible business strategy at all.

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
Spent a few hours in one today at an Apple for IT event. Just like my try-on... very exciting product. Apple is in a rush to get these devices managed because it's mostly enterprises who can afford them and develop apps for them.

Nobody there personally owned one. 4 were provided by Apple for testing purposes, and another 3 or 4 were other attendees who brought corporate purchased assets.

I kinda feel AVP is like a commercial airliner... few people own one due to the cost, you just borrow time on one. Not sure that's a feasible business strategy at all.

The launch got botched by the pandemic. The first gen unit is a Frankenstein of 2020 tech with an M2. I think it was a smart play to get visionOS development going. It’s amazing how good the v2 beta is compared to V1 in just 4 months

Reactions: Blackstick

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
This is goint to be Apple product with worst 2nd hand value ever. Such a complicated and sensitive technology with millions of sensors on it and yet so personal and difficult to test before purchase as used.

The light seals complicate the resale market, and the $200 Apple charges for seals by themselves feels like a play to keep resale values inflated. Right now they’re about $2,500 to $3,000. Not horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.