Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Q_Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2022
Has anyone else noticed that, on the Apple Vision Pro page on Apple's website (https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/) a subtle split-second change happens on the top main image (of the person wearing the AVP) when you click the 'back' button or click any link that navigates away from the page ?

It's like a subtle frown effect on the image, as if to say "aww going so soon?". Below are the two different versions of the image on the UK version of the page, but the US one has the same effect (just with a different person in the image)... a nice subtle little touch by Apple web devs I feel haha 👏

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 19.32.44.png
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 19.32.29.png

Reactions: garethjs and HDFan

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Definitely not intentional. When you click away, the browser stops the video and returns to the first frame, which shows the initial neutral expression of the wearer beginning to experience Vision Pro (not a frown).

This is an HTML quirk rather than anything intentional.

Think about it. If you click "Book a demo," why should the model's expression change to neutral? The smile should wider if this were intentional.

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
Unfortunately for some it seems reports of the product’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. From Mark Gurman’s latest edition of Power On:

… Apple already has been working on such a device for years, aiming to sell something for $1,500 to $2,000. The plan was always to introduce the Vision Pro at the high end, and then roll out the cheaper model — let’s call it the Apple Vision — sometime afterward.

This cheaper device, codenamed N107, is now the focus of Apple’s Vision Products Group. The company hopes to bring that product to market as early as the end of 2025 — a plan that’s been in place since before the Vision Pro was first unveiled last year.

The company has no plans to abandon the high end of the headset market, but this second-generation Vision Pro will take longer to arrive. Months ago, the company shifted a planned 2025 release to the end of 2026 at the earliest, as I reported in April.

Meanwhile, the company has renewed efforts to develop AR-only glasses. These would be lightweight spectacles that users could easily wear all day, and they’ve long been a holy grail for the tech industry. But it’s still early days. Though a launch date around 2027 has been bandied about, no one I’ve spoken to within Apple believes the glasses will be ready in a few years.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
The original gold Apple Watch was $10-17k and mostly useless, but that product line survived and is now flourishing. Still can’t believe I wore a watch where it was inconvenient to see the time (pre always on display)

I think the Vision line will take time as Apple and its customers figure out the best use cases as the technology improves. I don’t want them to cut features, but lighter and cheaper will come over time. Also very happy I kept mine and will use it until the Pro 2 is eventually released.

Last edited:

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
Totally agree. This article makes me even happier about buying the Vision Pro:

Thanks for the link! I wouldn’t mind at all if their less expensive, less bulky version designed for mass market appeal requires a iPhone. I’m already used to walking around with the battery pack for the AVP in my pocket anyway.

If they integrate the battery into the headset and your iPhone is used on the less expensive version for some processing power and it’s Internet connection (WiFi and/or cellular) and the devices use Bluetooth to connect so there is no actual wire from the device into your pocket, I’d be fine with that. In fact I’d rather have that kind of a setup than to need a wired battery pack to power it.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The Apple Vision Pro is a glimpse into the future and an opportunity for Apple to get the tech as it presently exists and more importantly the OS, the dev tools, apps and a fledgling user base out there.

This early iteration was not designed for mass market appeal. No device priced this high could be a mass market hit with a user base of the size of the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, MacBook or even the Apple TV.

The tech simply isn’t there yet but I also strongly believe after using it that if the tech does eventually allow for spatial computing in an AR glasses style form factor then that device will be something that either replaces or heavily augments the smart phone and its much better to be not only ahead of that train but to be helping to conduct it than it would be to be caught flat footed in the way they were when AI came onto the scene.

Making the hardware along with the software and offering services around them both is Apple’s business model. If they don’t produce the hardware behind whatever the next big platform in personal computing turns out to be then they are in a world of hurt and may not get a second shot in they way they are getting it with the raise of AI because at the end of the day the software and services to deliver on AI still run on the platforms that Apple deals heavily in.

Last edited:

Q_Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2022
Definitely not intentional. When you click away, the browser stops the video and returns to the first frame, which shows the initial neutral expression of the wearer beginning to experience Vision Pro (not a frown).

This is an HTML quirk rather than anything intentional.

Think about it. If you click "Book a demo," why should the model's expression change to neutral? The smile should wider if this were intentional.
Ah I see - that makes sense. I stand corected - thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.