Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Hello, I wanted shortcut that will at specific time and specific place open webpage and shows me traffic delays in short.

I managed to make work that it opens at time, even now realized to turn off weekends but somehow can not figure how to set exactly second condition to open in only when o specific place. So it popping up every workday everywhere.

I havent understood how before I leave condition works. How it can know when I will leave?

Thanks for tips.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I managed to make work that it opens at time, even now realized to turn off weekends but somehow can not figure how to set exactly second condition to open in only when o specific place.

I havent understood how before I leave condition works. How it can know when I will leave?

a) can add to the Automation/Shortcut a "Get distance from" Action. Params are Current Location and the address of "leaving from". Then an "if": if calculated distance is less then [1/4 mi | 1/2 mi | other] then show webpage.

2) Have not used these myself but semi-educated guess is "Significant Locations" under Privacy. Phone learns where/when one goes to/from and starts to pop up "helpful" messages like "16 minutes away from ABC" if go to ABC on a predicable schedule. Will learn that you leave XYZ everyday at 5:00-ish for example.

ADD: a) variation: what I do is I read/write a value to Files app that flags if at a location, specifically, at home or not. So an Automation "when leave home" that set the AtHome flag to false. Automation "when arrive home", set flag to true. Then anywhere where home vs away comes into play, just ping the variable.

Something similar could be done with other key locations.

Last edited:

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
a) can add to the Automation/Shortcut a "Get distance from" Action. Params are Current Location and the address of "leaving from". Then an "if": if calculated distance is less then [1/4 mi | 1/2 mi | other] then show webpage.

2) Have not used these myself but semi-educated guess is "Significant Locations" under Privacy. Phone learns where/when one goes to/from and starts to pop up "helpful" messages like "16 minutes away from ABC" if go to ABC on a predicable schedule. Will learn that you leave XYZ everyday at 5:00-ish for example.

ADD: a) variation: what I do is I read/write a value to Files app that flags if at a location, specifically, at home or not. So an Automation "when leave home" that set the AtHome flag to false. Automation "when arrive home", set flag to true. Then anywhere where home vs away comes into play, just ping the variable.

Something similar could be done with other key locations.
add A. Thanks for help. I am quite ashamed but I can not figure it that distance thing to work. I can not link next action to work. It should be simple but I am often lost in Shortcuts.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Pretty easy. If one works at Apple HQ, setting up a geo-fence (in miles) would look like below.

Automation: When: 5:00pm, M-F. Do: New Blank Automation

Then add following to blank automation.

New Shortcut.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.