Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is preparing to join Apple's OLED display supply chain for future MacBook models, Korea's The Elec reports.

Oled-MackBook-Pros-23.jpg

Apple's plans to switch the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air from mini-LED and LCD display technology to OLED have been widely rumored for several years. The latest report explains that Samsung is currently assembling an eighth-generation OLED panel production line focused on supplying Apple with OLED displays for future MacBook models. Panels from the production line will not reach new MacBook models until 2027, The Elec adds.

Late last year, ETNews said that Apple plans to bring OLED display technology to nine new devices by 2027, starting with two new iPad Pro models in March. The company is then expected to shift focus to an OLED 16-inch MacBook Pro in 2025, before launching new 14-inch MacBook Pro, 13- and 15-inch MacBook Air, 10.9-inch iPad Air, and 8.7-inch iPad mini models with OLED displays the following year. As a result, the The Elec's report seems to suggest that panels from the new production line will not be used in the first wave of OLED MacBooks in 2025. In 2027, Apple is expected to bring OLED to the rumored 12.9-inch iPad Air model.

Benefits of OLED displays include increased brightness, higher contrast ratio, greater color accuracy, and lower power consumption compared to existing models with LCDs. OLED panels are also thinner and lighter than LCDs. Apple already uses OLED displays for all iPhone and Apple Watch models, with the exception of the iPhone SE.

Article Link: Samsung to Join OLED MacBook Push in 2027

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
OLED is the best screen tech today. It's a shame Apple is taking so long to use it.

Can't wait for the day we get an OLED Air. I'll probably grab an M3 15" Air this year but as soon as OLED Air is out I will get one.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
By 2027 I hope that Apple is more interested in getting microLED on their devices. Nothing against OLED as it’s the best presently implemented screen tech, however it has many deficient qualities that are addressed with microLED.

Reactions: MockT and ELman

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
By 2027 I hope that Apple is more interested in getting microLED on their devices. Nothing against OLED as it’s the best presently implemented screen tech, however it has many deficient qualities that are addressed with microLED.

Wait until micro-LED is commercially available at scale in laptop sizes. Add an extra ten or fifteen years and you might have a hope of Apple adopting it in MacBooks 👍

Reactions: cateye and ELman

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
MicroLED is far far far from ready. I don't think it would be commercial enough for computer displays even in 2030s.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Based on this article I understand the OLED rollout could look something like this

Dual stack OLEDs (supplier: LG)
- iPad Pro M3 11" (spring 2024)
- iPad Pro M3 13" (spring 2024)
- Macbook Pro M5 Pro/Max 16" (late 2025)
- Macbook Pro M6 14" and M6 Pro/Max 14" (2026)

Single stack OLEDs (supplier: LG in 2026, then LG+Samsung in 2027)
- Macbook Air M5 13" (2026)
- Macbook Air M5 15" (2026)
- iPad Mini 2026
- iPad Air 10.9" 2026
- iPad Air 12.9" 2026

More or less.

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
OLEDs are certainly not brighter than LED LCD, and can consume more power than an LCD screen, it all depends what is being displayed on the screen, a bright OLED image will use more power than an equivalent LCD, however a dark OLED image will use less.

Of course the holy grail of display technology is either micro-LED or even better QDEL (self emissive Quantum Dots) which is being pioneered by Sharp Displays amongst others.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
These MacRumors articles keep saying OLEDs offer increased brightness.

OLED is my fave screen tech, but peak brightness isn’t its forte. Maybe brightness vs power utilization?

Single stack OLEDs, you're right.

Dual stack OLEDs, I have a feeling they'll be blindingly bright.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Having an OLED screen on my laptop was life changing, every time I use I get the feeling: man this screen look so good. And it's not a high end laptop either.
So I'm not surprised Apple is moving towards using OLED in more devices.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Single stack OLEDs, you're right.

Dual stack OLEDs, I have a feeling they'll be blindingly bright.
But likely not significantly brighter than LED LCD, unless they’re talking about brightness in the context of more limited power utilization (in non-all-white images).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
At this point I'd expect them to jump over to MicroLED since they planning to do it with the watch. Let's see what happens then.
Nope. Still way too far off for screens of that size in high volume at competitive prices.

Im guessing for Apple to start using OLED screens, the dual stack process negates burn in?
Won't eliminate burn-in, but presumably should reduce its risk.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
At this point I'd expect them to jump over to MicroLED since they planning to do it with the watch. Let's see what happens then.
You'll be old and grey when that happens. OLED screens have basically been standard for years now on even CHEAP Windows based laptop.... but a 3 trillion dollar company that commands the highest price tag for their laptops has a total of ZERO options with OLED.

You're not really getting your moneys worth with Apple... and there's no arguing that either.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Lots of speculation in the wider community about micro-LED being the second coming of Christ Jesus, but really we don’t even know if it will deliver what it promises. I very much doubt that it too will not have its own compromises. The perfect display doesn’t exist. Maybe MLED will be it, maybe it won’t, but I’m not holding my breath. The only certainty is that Apple will be at least a decade behind the curve no matter what happens 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: EugW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.