Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's main OLED supplier Samsung has received mass production approval for the displays for all four models in Apple's iPhone 15 series, which are expected to be released in September.

iphone-15-dummy-models.jpg

Korean-language based The Elec reports that Samsung Display was granted approval on August 1, ahead of rivals LG Display and BOE. LG Display, which is supplying OLED panels for both iPhone 15 Pro models, has received conditional approval for the smaller iPhone 15 Pro, with formal approval for the iPhone 15 Pro Max expected in a month or two. BOE, which is supplying OLED displays for the standard iPhone 15 and larger iPhone 15 Plus, is still awaiting conditional approval from Apple.

Rumors have suggested that the ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ and ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ Max will have slimmer bezels than the iPhone 14 Pro models, and that this decrease in bezel size is creating manufacturing issues. LG Display in particular is said to have had setbacks in implementing the smaller bezels, and both LG and BOE have faced difficulties in adding cutouts for the Dynamic Island, with the latter supplier highly likely to miss shipments for the rest of the year as a result. BOE has subsequently had to hand over initial OLED shipments to Samsung, which is now expected to achieve higher shipments in 2023 than previously expected.

Although LG Display did not receive mass production approval in time, industry observers have suggested LG's losses may be limited due to other production disruptions that have occurred on the camera module supply side. Image sensors for the iPhone 15 series are being mainly supplied by Sony, while the folded zoom components for the Periscope lens on the Pro Max model are coming from LG Innotek. However, the production yield of both components is said to have fallen below expectations.

According to the report, Apple is likely to be prioritizing production of the 6.1-inch Pro model over the 6.7-inch Pro Max, which is currently experiencing the most production disruption, in order to guarantee a 50-60% supply of Pro models this year. Despite the disruptions, a report from The Information suggests Apple will still release all iPhone 15 models in September as expected, although there could be a limited number of iPhone 15 Pro Max devices available in the first weeks after launch.

Article Link: Samsung Begins Mass Producing OLED Displays for iPhone 15

Last edited:

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
My Favorite month, September is right around the corner. 👀

I love reports like this. I'm very excited I'll be ordering a new iPhone 15 Pro Max next month! I expect official leaks from the assembly plant this month. 😍
Yup we share the same brain wave lol! This month we get leaks, possible pictures of the retail boxes, and leaked pics of the official cases with the actual names of the new iPhones. Best of all we will get the iPhone Keynote invite at the end of the month!

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
No way!! They did?!? I'm just wondering why no one in the world is posting an article that manufacturer X has started production of the display for the new Pixel Fold? These foldable displays must be a challenge. For the iPhone, it's just another display - why would anyone care?

CD Player

Suspended
Aug 1, 2023
Whatever happened to LiquidMetal? The experimental amorphous alloy technology that Apple bought? It was a metal that acted like a glass but didn’t shatter or scratch. It also melded with metal seamlessly creating perfectly curved shapes with no edges.
I forgot about that and excellent question. Wow, wasn’t that years ago? I remember people discussing all kinds of applications for it.

lawd, I’m old.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My Favorite month, September is right around the corner. 👀

I love reports like this. I'm very excited I'll be ordering a new iPhone 15 Pro Max next month! I expect official leaks from the assembly plant this month. 😍
yep!!! I take a vacation day every year on iPhone release day. My family laughs about it every year! I have had every iPhone since day one....

everybodylovesramen

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2021
looking forward to downsizing from a pro max to a pro - my pockets already thank me.

also with the price increase it’s probably the most sense for users for trade in value.

CD Player

Suspended
Aug 1, 2023
yep!!! I take a vacation day every year on iPhone release day. My family laughs about it every year! I have had every iPhone since day one....
I used to wait in line ”back in the day” - it was more for fun; hanging out with friends and others before the stores opened. Kind of miss the days when iPhones were one model and details were scarce.

Course, this was the era when I would sell a jailbroken iPhone unlocked online for $600-700 (sometimes $800-900) and bought a new one every year without contract and broke even or made a profit.

i miss this years. *le sigh*

MrSegundus

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
I’ve never had a problem getting an iPhone Pro Max model on release day, even if I don’t preorder. Just get to the Apple Store super early is all it takes.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’ve never had a problem getting an iPhone Pro Max model on release day, even if I don’t preorder. Just get to the Apple Store super early is all it takes.
I try to enjoy my new iPhone as much as possible. I make it whole big deal. It has become a ritual. I pre order for instore pickup and trade in my old iPhone. I do a devcie to devcie data transfer (i know it takes longer) while in the Apple store to enjoy all the exceitement and buzz in the store. When I walk out my new iPhone is an exact copy of my old iPhone I just traded in.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.