Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Series 10 will feature a larger display and a new chip, but new health monitoring features for the device are now in question, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports.

f1662570472.jpg

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that the design of the Apple Watch Series 10 is "unlikely to look much different" to its predecessor, but it will be thinner. Meanwhile, the Apple Watch Ultra will not get a new design this year.

The new Apple Watch "Series" models will continue to be available in two casing sizes codenamed "N217" and "N218," and feature larger displays. One of the models will have a screen roughly as large as that of the Apple Watch Ultra.

Both the Apple Watch Series 10 and Apple Watch Ultra 3 will apparently feature a new processor that succeeds last year's S9 chip. While this could "lay the groundwork for some AI enhancements down the road," it will not run Apple Intelligence and there are currently said to be no plans to bring "the full initiative" to the Apple Watch.

Apple has been developing hypertension and sleep apnea detection features for the Apple Watch that were originally slated for release in 2024, but Gurman now says that the "effort hasn't gone smoothly" and "Apple has run into some serious snags." The hypertension detection feature has been insufficiently reliable during testing and there are concerns about integrating it into the refreshed design, which could force Apple to postpone this feature until next year

Likewise, the sleep apnea detection feature is now in trouble because it relies on blood oxygen saturation, which Apple Watches in the United States cannot currently measure due to an ongoing legal dispute with Masimo. Gurman postulates that the despute with Masimo could be resolved by September, or Apple could find a way around it by arguing that the blood oxygen sensor could be used for purposes that are not directly related to blood oxygen levels. The company could also announce the sleep apnea detection feature and hold off releasing it until a later date.

Apple is also purportedly continuing testing and discussing the prospect of 3D-printed casings for some Apple Watch models, which could accelerate production and use less material.

Gurman says it is still not clear whether Apple will brand the new Apple Watches as special anniversary models or wait until next year, given that the original Apple Watch was announced in 2014 and released in 2015.

Article Link: Report: Apple Watch Series 10 to Offer Larger Screens and Faster Chip, but New Health Features in Trouble

Last edited:

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
I know this is just me but I find myself just not interested in my AW anymore. Haven’t upgraded since the 7 and I find myself wanting fewer notifications instead of more. I mainly use it for sleep tracking now. Just me I know. Just bored with it. I wear it less and less. Just at night now really.

I have a 6 and I'm bored with mine too. I use it to track my workouts and leave it off to charge at night. I have no 3rd party apps installed and have all notifications disabled except calls.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I haven’t upgraded since the series 5. It’s a nice watch, but features are lacking for me even with the newer devices. The only reason I really kinda want to upgrade is because the battery has deteriorated and if I’m out and about, I feel like I need to charge it again mid day if I’m gonna have a late day out. I probably won’t be upgrading again this year tho. I feel like if anything I need to upgrade my iPhone from the 14 this year.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
They should put 90% of the AW R&D time into finding a way to significantly increase battery life and 10% into increasing screen size.
It should hold out 2 days at the minimum, workouts included.

My Apple Watch is out of battery before I go to bed if I did a workout that day. Can’t sleeptrack if not charging before. A totally embarrassment for such an expensive device.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Boooooooring!!! You know what? I have my AW6 and I use Calendar, Alarms, fitness tracking and Apple Pay. That’s it.

Only Apple Pay keeps me from switching to a Garmin watch with 10days of battery life. But sooner or later even “Garmin Pay” will be supported by enough credit institutes.

But new features would be so easy Apple: Simply forget about forcing everyone to use GymKit and allow people to use the heart rate monitor of the AW like a chest strap that you can easily connect with anything. Every manufacturer hates GymKit.

Do you remember “just works”?

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
They should put 90% of the AW R&D time into finding a way to significantly increase battery life and 10% into increasing screen size.
How about upping the R&D spending for the whole line up? Apple spends percent wise the least of all competing tech industry in R&D.

Put some of those billions back into R&D Timmy, instead of paying those investors. It’s much needed because the whole lineup is getting boring, dated and behind the specs the competition has to offer.

Make Apple great again 😜

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Future generations will study the Apple Watch as a masterclass of selling the same device for a decade. I’m not really complaining because I can still buy watch bands that fit anything from the last 10 years. It’s about the only time Apple have ever been respectful of generational compatibility.

originalsk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
Still using daily my Series 4. If Apple was not so stubborn, Apple Watch could be THE personal computer and main communication device instead of iPhone. Shame everything, even basic Watch activation, is still tightly linked to the iPhone.

No reason to upgrade for me until I can use Siri in my native language & until Siri is way more useful (hope Apple Intelligence will solve this), plus addition of new health features (which they are apparently struggling with) would be great.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I have a 6 and I'm bored with mine too. I use it to track my workouts and leave it off to charge at night. I have no 3rd party apps installed and have all notifications disabled except calls.
I had the S0 up until the S7 came out and upgraded just out of sheer annoyance that the watch was super slow when trying to start a workout and the battery was starting to struggle if I did a workout that day. I have disabled just about everything and don't put many 3rd party apps on mine either because I just don't see the value. The watch has done nearly everything I wanted the watch to do in the first iteration. The slightly bigger screen of the S7 is nice, but I don't use Cellular, I don't wear it at night for sleep tracking, I don't leave my phone behind ever, so all of the independence features matter little to me. At this point, better battery life is probably the only thing I do care about (I'd like solid all day battery life even when running workouts for extended periods), and sure maybe improved health sensors. But I really struggle to think of anything they could add to the watch that I would give even the slightest care about other than maybe blood glucose monitoring, and even that isn't something I need.

Reactions: macvicta

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Given how little the watch has evolved over the last 4-5 years, I wonder if the department has been under-resourced.

Wearable is only 9% of revenue (although it includes home and accessories).
Year-over-year of wearables is down 5 of the last 8 quarters.

Sure, blood pressure and sleep apnea technology just might not be ready.

But give us something more than double pinch as a reason to upgrade.
Give us week long battery life. Action button on the AW series. Titanium finish. User installed watch faces.

Attachments

• View recent photos.png
    View recent photos.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 57

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
The number of people (in this thread alone) who appear to exhibit existential ennui because a smart-watch is "boring" is, frankly, absolutely hilarious.

Since my Apple Watch does what I need and my life does not revolve around always buying the latest gadgets, I am quite happy with "boring." And truth be told, most people are.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
What I don’t get is he says it will have the ultra size display but the ultra is the same as series 7 etc just the ultra has bigger bezels and case, so will the series 10 have bigger viewing space than the ultra as it’s round and thinner bezels

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Satisfied with my Ultra 2, it survived sand beaches unlike some previous AW versions, even sapphire ones. I don't have to charge every day, it's good for three days. I would love to charge it weekly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.