Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quantum_fireball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2024
Hey everyone,

I’ve been using my 2019 Mac Pro since it was first released at my office: primarily for video and content production. I use a monitor and an OLED TV connected to it, along with an audio interface for my speakers and a SanDisk 32 TB external drive that uses thunderbolt. I’m wondering if it makes sense for me to purchase a new M3 MacBook Pro Max to use instead, and that way I could have a portable working solution as well.

As far as I know, this would likely be just as powerful (if not more in several areas) apart from memory. Here are the specs for my current Mac:

3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W

AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

256 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

I thought of a Mac Studio as well for portability but would like the use of a portable screen and keyboard when I’m remote. Would anyone else recommend going this direction and maybe suggest some thunderbolt hubs / any other accessories for a setup like this?

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Wait for the m4 MacBook Pros, probably before the end of the year.

There will almost certainly be an m4x version of the Studio, but it will come later (my guess). Perhaps not until 2025.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey everyone,

I’ve been using my 2019 Mac Pro since it was first released at my office: ...
Yes, If you are there while the video is being shot, today people almost expect to see a roughly cut video right away. The notebook is about the only way to make that happen. But a Mac Notebook with a large screen and maxed-out RAM and SSD is not cheap.

Apple Silicon Macs don't need as much RAM as the Xeon-based MP does. So less RAM might not be an issue for you

quantum_fireball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2024
Did you upgrade? It should be much faster now with the optimized software.
Yes! Ended up getting the M3 Max refurbished with 2TB of storage for a great price; and it honestly smokes the Mac Pro in the majority of areas. Highly recommend the Caldigit TS4 if you’re using a lot of accessories at your desk… really happy I upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.