Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
I have a imac 2009 and a 2011.
On the 2009 the graphic card is mounted on motherboard with 3 screws.

But on my 2011 it looks like it's not screws or if it is the have to be unscrewed from the back, with means motherboard has to be unmounted first. (which I would prefer not to do).

Anyone here have experience with imac 2001 graphic card?

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
IF it is 27" model see this as yes the logic board has to be removed. Always helps if you provide full details of your Mac:-,

koden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
Thanks... will try to do that

Damn.. was just more easy on the 2009 :)

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
in my experience on the 2009 the screws face the front. on the 2011 the same screws face the back

so on 2011 you have to take the whole board out to get at the screws

ymmv

koden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
Yes thats correct... motherboard have to be unmount motherboard.

But actually no big problem I found out.

On 2009 imacs you don't need to unmount motherboard.
Only problem is to get the graphic card plug of and on to motherboard.
But with a small screwdriver and a tweezer it's possible.

I think I have baked about 10 graphic cards now.
And it has always worked :)

But one has been broken again after a year.
Maybe my thermal paste have been to old or there have been to little.

cheaptech

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2020
in my experience on the 2009 the screws face the front. on the 2011 the same screws face the back

so on 2011 you have to take the whole board out to get at the screws

Has anyone found away around this? I do not see one. But, has anyone removed the screws and fittings and replaced them with ones facing the front? I would like to not r&r the logic board everyone I mess with the gpu.

Which I am now doing. CPU upgrade to i7-2600 and gpu to k1100m. Plus 500gb ssd and 32gb of Ram.

Edit: correct typo for gpu

Last edited:

koden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
Hi. When first you have tried to remove motherboard it's not that bad.
So I would not use time on trying to avoid it.

It does not take that long time.

Rendell001

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Scotland
Hi. When first you have tried to remove motherboard it's not that bad.
So I would not use time on trying to avoid it.

It does not take that long time.
I'm glad it worked okay for you because I found the process to be really scary!

There are so many different screws to keep track of and there are a multitude of different connectors for the motherboard - I really need to practice this with someone who knows what they're doing!

ger19

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I'm glad it worked okay for you because I found the process to be really scary!

There are so many different screws to keep track of and there are a multitude of different connectors for the motherboard - I really need to practice this with someone who knows what they're doing!
Video record the disassembly process. It will help put everything back if you have problems. Keep all your screws grouped by where they came from. Use envelops or something as simple as a piece of paper with drawn square boxes (labeled buy screw location) to hold the screws until you put them back. Good organization is key.

• Love
Reactions: Rendell001

Rendell001

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Scotland
Video record the disassembly process. It will help put everything back if you have problems. Keep all your screws grouped by where they came from. Use envelops or something as simple as a piece of paper with drawn square boxes (labeled buy screw location) to hold the screws until you put them back. Good organization is key.
So I'd already had a multi compartment box organiser which I used for this so they are at least grouped together as you recommended. I wasn't expecting a couple of the screws to be longer and obviously required for very specific areas.

Also, the number of different connecters for the Motherboard kind of threw me too - I'll find a good teardown online and study that one carefully.

Many thanks for the advice though!

Reactions: ger19

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
So I'd already had a multi compartment box organiser which I used for this so they are at least grouped together as you recommended. I wasn't expecting a couple of the screws to be longer and obviously required for very specific areas.

Also, the number of different connecters for the Motherboard kind of threw me too - I'll find a good teardown online and study that one carefully.

Many thanks for the advice though!

Now I recall on how I did it the first time (and second time) with my iMac.
I used paper tape and cut to tiny pieces to mark the connectors: same numbers were given to a pair of female and male connectors. The reassembly was smooth and fast.

I even used a piece of paper to pin the logicboard screw on positions similar to their original positions on the logicboard.

From the 3rd time; all the paper tape and paper were bypassed. The connectors can't reach further than its original socket; and connectors near one another come in different shapes.... and the length of the screws are matched with the shape of the aluminum case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.