Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gozoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2024
I used to be able to transfer photos from my iPhone no problem. I just connected it to my laptop selected it in my computer, selected the photos I wanted to download and job done. Now when I connect my iPhone 14 Pro to the laptop a black window appears which apparently is the Photos app and starts selecting photos from my phone. However when I choose the photos I want to download it downloads totally different photos. There are also multiple photos in it for example img 1056.jpg and then img E1056.jpg. Also when the photos are actually downloaded I can’t open them because it says the file format isn’t supported. They are .jpg files for God’s sake, how can they not be supported? If I close down the Photos app and just select my iPhone in My Computer I find a bunch of files for example 202405 and 202406. So I assume this is the year and the month. If I click on 202406 it opens up I assume all the photos taken in June 2024 however as well as a .jpg there is also a MOV file and an AAE file whatever that is for every photo. Another problem is when I do manage to open a photo it moves slightly as if it was a movie file. I just want to take photos and download them without all this rubbish happening. Everything worked fine before this stupid Photos App appeared so can I delete it and just open files the way I used to? This thing is driving me nuts! Am I doing something wrong? Possible as I’m coming 70! Or is it a problem with the app or the phone or the laptop?

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I used to be able to transfer photos from my iPhone no problem. I just connected it to my laptop selected it in my computer, selected the photos I wanted to download and job done. Now when I connect my iPhone 14 Pro to the laptop a black window appears which apparently is the Photos app and starts selecting photos from my phone. However when I choose the photos I want to download it downloads totally different photos. There are also multiple photos in it for example img 1056.jpg and then img E1056.jpg. Also when the photos are actually downloaded I can’t open them because it says the file format isn’t supported. They are .jpg files for God’s sake, how can they not be supported? If I close down the Photos app and just select my iPhone in My Computer I find a bunch of files for example 202405 and 202406. So I assume this is the year and the month. If I click on 202406 it opens up I assume all the photos taken in June 2024 however as well as a .jpg there is also a MOV file and an AAE file whatever that is for every photo. Another problem is when I do manage to open a photo it moves slightly as if it was a movie file. I just want to take photos and download them without all this rubbish happening. Everything worked fine before this stupid Photos App appeared so can I delete it and just open files the way I used to? This thing is driving me nuts! Am I doing something wrong? Possible as I’m coming 70! Or is it a problem with the app or the phone or the laptop?
How are you connecting your phone to the laptop?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What version of iOS?
What OS (Mac/Windoze) & version on computer?
Tried multiple cables?
"Everything worked fine before this stupid Photos App appeared" - is this an iOS change or a computer change?

Gozoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2024
What version of iOS?
What OS (Mac/Windoze) & version on computer?
Tried multiple cables?
"Everything worked fine before this stupid Photos App appeared" - is this an iOS change or a computer change?
IOS 17.5.1
Windows 10
Multiple cables and multiple ports, I have 2 USB-C ports and an older USB port.
Not sure but this Photos app opens up on my laptop.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
How are you connecting your phone to the laptop?
Are you saying you plugged your phone into the laptop and it is found on laptop as the phone?
All mine doe when plugged into my laptop is start the charging, the phone does not show up is tree as a phone.

Last edited:

Gozoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2024
Are you saying you plugged your phone into the laptop and it is found on laptop as the phone?
All mine doe when plugged into my laptop is start the charging, the phone does not show up is tree as a phone.
Sorry for late reply,been out all day. Yes when I connect the phone to my laptop it is recognized as my iPhone.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Sorry for late reply,been out all day. Yes when I connect the phone to my laptop it is recognized as my iPhone.
I have to find out how your doing this are you using the usb lightning? Also are you using a Ap? If so what is it.
I just have to get pictures from laptop to the cloud then download to phone and you can’t up load a video.
What brand and type laptop and phone your using?

Last edited:

Gozoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2024
I have to find out how your doing this are you using the usb lightning? Also are you using a Ap? If so what is it.
I just have to get pictures from laptop to the cloud then download to phone and you can’t up load a video.
What brand and type laptop and phone your using?
Yes I'm using a lightening cable with a USB connector. No I'm not using an ap. My laptop is an HP Spectre 360 and my phone is an iPhone 14 Pro. I don't use cloud.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Yes I'm using a lightening cable with a USB connector. No I'm not using an ap. My laptop is an HP Spectre 360 and my phone is an iPhone 14 Pro. I don't use cloud.
I am thinking the problem i am having is my laptop is a MSI Stealth 16 studio A13V Phone is iPhone 15 Pro.not the same system as yours and Microsoft in Win 11 is both our major problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.