Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwwinnard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2024
Please help - I recently purchased a Pro Display XDR- I use it because of my eyesight as a mirror for my MacBook pro laptop - it works great - however, I also need Windows - I tried Parallels but it does not work with the latest apple architecture - so I purchased a Dell Insperion 3020 desktop from COSTCO - along with a USB-C to Display Port 1.4 (8K) - I cannot get the Dell to display on the XDR - any suggestions? thank you

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I don't own a Pro Display, but looking at the website it says only one port on the monitor is Thunderbolt. The other ports are USB-C only. You'll need to plug it into the Thunderbolt port. Or use a docking station. That's what I can gather based on what you've said.

rwwinnard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2024
I don't own a Pro Display, but looking at the website it says only one port on the monitor is Thunderbolt. The other ports are USB-C only. You'll need to plug it into the Thunderbolt port. Or use a docking station. That's what I can gather based on what you've said.
thank you for your reply - I plug the USB-C end of the cable to the XDR Thunderbolt port with the display port 1.4 into the back of the Dell - no display -

Attachments

• IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
thank you for your reply - when you say Thunderbolt wrt the Dell are you referring to the "USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C® port" on the front of desktop ?
I mean on the Display itself. Connect your USB-c to DP cable to the Thunderbolt port of the Display. There's a lightning bolt icon above it. If that is what already did, Then I'm not sure. Then the link in the other post by rwwinnard might be more helpful. Could be setting on the Dell or the GPU on there might not support the resolution and you might need to adjust a setting.
Do you have a second cable just to rule out the cable? That's also possible.
Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 14.20.05.png

rwwinnard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2024
I mean on the Display itself. Connect your USB-c to DP cable to the Thunderbolt port of the Display. There's a lightning bolt icon above it. If that is what already did, Then I'm not sure. Then the link in the other post by rwwinnard might be more helpful. Could be setting on the Dell or the GPU on there might not support the resolution and you might need to adjust a setting.
Do you have a second cable just to rule out the cable? That's also possible.
View attachment 2392691
Yeah I have tried three cables with no luck - the GPU of the Dell may not work with the XDR

Reactions: MacDaddyPanda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.