Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Porsche has recently launched new CarPlay-equipped audio systems compatible with classic Porsche vehicles dating as far back as the 1960s (via TechCrunch).
porsche_classic_carplay.jpg

Currently available only in Europe, the systems are available in a 1-DIN size for the 911 and other Porsches with the narrow-format radio standard and a 2-DIN size for the more recent 986 and 996 models supporting larger radio sizes. Pricing comes in at around 1350 euros for the 1-DIN model and 1520 euros for the 2-DIN model.

The audio systems are designed with a Porsche look to match their compatible vehicles, although any touchscreen will obviously look somewhat out of place in a vintage vehicle. In addition to CarPlay, other modern features like onboard navigation and DAB+ digital audio are also supported.

Update: It looks like at least the 1-DIN model will also be coming to the United States and it will be SiriusXM-ready.

Article Link: Porsche Launches CarPlay Radios for Classic Porsches

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Very interesting target group. To me this is not appealing, very dumb imho!

Thats a good chunk of change that the car will probably want to eat sooner or later with a bigger problem than CarPlay. Somebody will greatly appreciate it though. It can be worth supporting something close to the heart.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Strikes me as a surprisingly cheap price, given it's an official product of Porsche. But I can't imagine there will be any demand. You have to find someone who owns an old Porsche, wants it to have some phone integration, but isn't willing to just stick their phone on their dashboard.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Very interesting target group. To me this is not appealing, very dumb imho!

As an owner of a Porsche 996 this is great. Allows you to keep your car with a "factory" Porsche look with out having to put some janky head unit in that was never designed for the car and doesn't fit very well.

Other manufacturers should really do this but most are not interested in keeping their older cars on the road as Porsche is.

Last edited:

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
While cool I'm not sure how important it is to even the target group. Thats a good chunk of change that the car will probably want to eat sooner or later with a bigger problem than CarPlay. Somebody will probably greatly appreciate it though.

Your response just shows you know nothing about owning expensive, high performance vehicles. I read an article last year about the cost of an oil change for a Bugatti. It was, sit down now, $23,000.00. The vehicle in question had to be partially disassembled to change the oil. It also had 12 drain plugs.

If you have the cash to own a Porsche, or Maserati , or Bentley, you certainly don’t care about repairs costs. Since most, if not all, of those owners also use iPhones these radios will sell very well.

In my male menopause period I bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle because, well, I wanted a Harley. A friend explained to me what HD actually stood for. it stood for “Hundred Dollars” because time you walked through the dealership’s doors you were on the hook for at least a hundred dollars, no matter what you were there for. ;)

Last edited:

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I think this is great, and I wish more manufactures would do it. One of my cars is an aging luxury (Audi) model. For a few years, I have been trying to find a modern solution that allows me to have Carplay or even more modern Bluetooth connectivity. I have a model that has the first or second year of Bluetooth connectivity. It never allowed music streaming, and in does not work with modern iPhones at all. I've taken it to a few shops--including the dealership. No one has a good solution--the dealership says "buy a new car". The after-market stores say . . . "well, this particular technology is hard to deal with . . . we could try something you'll need to pay for upfront, but it may not work at all, definitely will not integrate with the steering wheel controls, and it will look out of place on your dash". I know it is silly first-world problems--my partner tells me so often--but I am seriously consider replacing the car just because of this alone. Being able to take calls reliable and listen to music from a smart phone is just the basics these days. If Audi/Volkswager had a supported $1,500 solution I would have long since done it. My dealership says they get such requests all the time, but it is clearly something that the manufacturer does not see enough profit in figuring out.

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
This is such a great example to set. We know this will charge a premium but to see a company consistently thinking and supporting its late generational cars is inspirational.

Yeah, this is really amazing. I always hoped that Apple would do the same with Apple Music for old iPods, like syncing playlists from Apple Music to them, but that never happened...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Your response just shows you know nothing about owning expensive, high performance vehicles. I read an article last year about the cost of an oil change for a Lamborghini. It was, sit down now, $23,000.00. The vehicle in question had to be partially disassembled to change the oil. It also had 12 drain plugs.

I am changing my Desktop to another car.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2007
Interesting but I always thought modern stereos in classic cars look bad.

While I generally agree, this is slick as all heck. Something about those vintage analog dials mixed with That tiny screen, looks awesome together. It’s done tastefully.

This is different than someone getting a big screen for a ‘03 Chevy Cavalier that doesn’t blend at all.

Reactions: SDJim

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Article says only in Europe. It’s available in US too!

DogGone

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
It is pretty cool that Porsche now offers this. These cars can last for 20+ years and having a digital upgrade that fits the design of the car is good. Remember to keep the older parts if you want to sell it in its original condition.

Porsche's are not as expensive as super cars. A typical 15K service (~every year) costs between $1000-1500. A standard service on a Toyota is generally $100-300 and has to be done every 5K.
The tires on the other hand are expensive and the back pair can wear out quickly if you drive too aggressively.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
This is so good. I mean, I don't own a Porsche and own a bit of a rust bucket car at the moment but I've had nicer BMWs in the past and the lack of up to date technology like Airplay in a car a few years old always annoyed me. Obviously the price of this is high but so are non branded and non matching style retro fit units.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
Major kudos to Porsche for doing this. I’m not a Porsche customer, but while car shopping a year ago I had to eliminate some because they didn’t have CarPlay. Will never own a car without it again. This is smart on Porsche’s part to keep some older model owners hanging onto and still loving their car, while also being great for their existing customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.