Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Using an Intel chip you can run `pmset -g thermlog` to see when macOS starts throttling but what is the equivalent on Apple Silicon?

Reactions: Nermal

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
A little off topic, but I didn't know thermlog was a thing. It might help me to confirm a suspicion I've had about throttling (on Intel), so thanks for posting :)

DuskHorizon

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
A little off topic, but I didn't know thermlog was a thing. It might help me to confirm a suspicion I've had about throttling (on Intel), so thanks for posting :)
Well, I had never used any app to monitor throttling. For me it was very obviously without measurements ;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, yes. I know it is throttling, I just want to confirm a theory.

Not to clutter up this thread too much, but Warcraft will run fine for 2-5 minutes in the summer or 5-10 in the winter, then the frame rate will absolutely plummet. After a few minutes it will return to normal, then over the next minute or two it'll bounce between poor and good, until eventually returning to a smooth 60 fps. I have a suspicion that it's reaching an equilibrium where it has the best performance it can get without overheating, and I further suspect that that point, wherever it is, is still enough to get 60 fps out of the game.

I'm just interested in seeing the figures, and seeing how much it's actually throttled by the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.