Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
OK, here's something aggravating. When I use Messages on my computer to write a text, I am UNABLE to produce a second paragraph. Why? Because as soon as you hit RETURN, kaboom, the message sends. Rather oddly, on the iPhone massage app, it's easy to make paragraphs. The Return key does a line feed, and the up-arrow sends the test. Is there a workaround for this? How can I create a multi-paragraph Message on my Mac?

I tend to use my computer to do messaging, just because the keyboard on an iPhone is inconveniently small.

Slix

macrumors 65832
Mar 24, 2010
You can press Option+Return on the Mac to make a new line without sending the message.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Ah, marvelous. Thank you! Now, why in the world can't the Messages application on the Mac have a little up-arrow you click on to send, like the iPhone?

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Indeed. Nice to know. Thanks. Still unclear why the Mac Messages app doesn't just have a little up-arrow to send like iOS.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Seemingly a (UX) design choice. Mac OS/macOS has always(?) had an emphasis on the keyboard, namely keyboard shortcuts — even more so than most other OSs. As part of that, Return/Enter is the go to for submit action, accept/OK, next, etc. On iOS, and other touch-based GUI/UX in my experience, actions are foremost linked to buttons. Additionally, most of the buttons are fairly easily — for perhaps lack of a better word — undoable because it’s presumed/known the user is likely to make more mistakes. Therefore, there are fewer and (hopefully) more obvious (e.g., blue filled circle Send button) buttons that execute the most substantial/permanent actions. In other words, whether dual thumb or chicken pecking on the keyboard, you’ll probably inadvertently touch a wrong button err key, and correcting an accidental line break (i.e., not converting Return/Enter into Send) is much easier and (presumably) less problematic than unending or editing the message.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Reactions: gilby101

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Yes, sounds sensible. It is annoying, though, when you want to just do a line feed in Messages, and you end up shooting the message out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.