Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edophoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I succsssfully updated my MacPro Early 2008 3,1 to Sonoma using Open Legacy Patcher. Seems to be successfull (did a clean install on an extra SSD internal disk.) However the computer will NOT go to Sleep. Using the Finder Menu or Keyboard shortcut, the external monitor goes to Sleep immediately, but the Macpro tower computer does not seem to go to Sleep. I've tried most of the forum suggestions (Sleep, energy preferences, etc) but nothing works. No background apps running as I haven't even done Migration assistant yet, so its a fresh install done with Open Legacy Patcher.

BTW a suggestion somewhere else said to try a PRAM reset. THIS DOES NOT WORK and seemed to destroy the Patched OS, so that the computer automatically re-booted to an older internal disk and the Patched OS disk got corrupted! (Is that normal?) Same computer running OS Patched Mojave does not have this problem and goes to sleep and stays asleep until I wake it.

The Macpro 2008 is using an old Eizo Monitor connected by USB. The same monitor is being used with my M1 Macbook (there are two out ports so two computers can use the same monitor just by selecting Signal 1 or Signal 2.) The monitor's USB "power is plugged into the Macpro, not the M1 notebook. (of course monitor is plugged into the wall socket as well.) Don't know if this is affecting it or not. Video card on Macpro is NVIDIA Geoforce GTX 680 4GB. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am in Japan so my replies might be "slow".

Note fan sort of quiets down, but the power light stays on, not flashing as if in Sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
try pmset -g in Terminal and check if there are sleep preventers.

reduce all USB stuff to keyboard and mouse/trackpad only, dont use Bluetooth, and test again.

Getting an unsupported OS into sleep is challenging, does not always work.

Does it sleep when booted into El Capitan?

btw: after nvram reset the bootvar is reset, just hold alt-key and select efi-boot from that drive the OpenCore ESP is on.

edophoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
try pmset -g in Terminal and check if there are sleep preventers.

reduce all USB stuff to keyboard and mouse/trackpad only, dont use Bluetooth, and test again.

Getting an unsupported OS into sleep is challenging, does not always work.

Does it sleep when booted into El Capitan?

btw: after nvram reset the bootvar is reset, just hold alt-key and select efi-boot from that drive the OpenCore ESP is on.
Thank you for the reply. I will give your suggestions a test LATER when I have time. Turning off the Mac in question and removing the SSD hard disk with the patched Sonoma system installed, the computer now sleeps as normal on a Patched SSD running Mojave. Also Sleeps fine when booted on unpatched El Captian. I am wondering if Ventura might be a better choice than Sonoma. Anyway it will be a few days until I can try some things. Thanks again. The main purpose of doing a patched system is so I have a backup machine where the OS is the same as my MacBook M1 2021 currently running Monterey, but of course upgradable to Sonoma. Adobe Lightroom updates require newer OS.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I'd wonder if Monterey is a better choice.

There are high chances you run into a crash from time to time, because of missing AVX support on OS higher than Monterey.

I'd keep a native OS to troubleshoot in every case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.