Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jte1130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Thinking of replacing my 2017 iMac with a new MacBook. I want the portability the MacBook offers. My issue is what do I do with all of the Photos I have on the old iMac? Obviously the MacBook doesn’t have the same level of storage. I know I’d need some external storage but I’m unsure how to move the files and have them accessible on the MacBook.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Buy an external drive. Connect it to your iMac, and using Disk Utility(in the Applications>Utilities folder) format the drive.

Then go to Home Folder>Pictures folder. Drag and drop your Photos Library file onto the External Drive.

Connect the drive to the MacBook. Launch Photos while holding down the Option key. This box will appear:
Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 21.41.00.png

Click on "Other Library..." and navigate to the Photos Library on the external drive, select it and click on "Choose Library.

Photos will open using that Library and should automatically use that Library in the future.

Jte1130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Buy an external drive. Connect it to your iMac, and using Disk Utility(in the Applications>Utilities folder) format the drive.

Then go to Home Folder>Pictures folder. Drag and drop your Photos Library file onto the External Drive.

Connect the drive to the MacBook. Launch Photos while holding down the Option key. This box will appear:
View attachment 2388957
Click on "Other Library..." and navigate to the Photos Library on the external drive, select it and click on "Choose Library.

Photos will open using that Library and should automatically use that Library in the future.
Thank you!!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take a look at the Crucial x9 SSD.
Very small (about the size of 2 USB flashdrives side-by-side).
Quite fast (USB3.1 gen2).
Reasonably priced.

You could copy the Photos library folder from the iMac to the SSD, and set up Photos on the MacBook to use it either as your "default" Photos library, or, just access when you need it.

Note: you would need to address "permissions issues" first, if you did this - not hard.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Do you not currently use iCloud for your photos? As that would download them into the new Mac automatically when you log in.

My advise if you are comfortable spending is getting the size SSD you need on the laptop so you can have all your files stored locally. There is nothing worse than using an external storage all the time (other thank back up)

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Obviously the MacBook doesn’t have the same level of storage.
Why "Obviously"? 🧐 If the MacBook Pro is "Replacing" the iMac, it should have the storage that the iMac had. You can get MacBook Pros with up to 8TB internal storage.

If the MacBook is "In addition to" the iMac, not replacing it, then just use iCloud. The Mac can keep all originals downloaded (so you can back them up). The MacBook Pro would have access to all the photos, but would download older ones only when you want to access them.

Jte1130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Do you not currently use iCloud for your photos? As that would download them into the new Mac automatically when you log in.

My advise if you are comfortable spending is getting the size SSD you need on the laptop so you can have all your files stored locally. There is nothing worse than using an external storage all the time (other thank back up)
I have iCloud set up on my phone but never included the photos on my iMac as it’s a huge library and I think I’d need to up my iCloud plan. I will look into it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.