Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release a new MacBook Air in the second half of 2023, and it may be equipped with a 3nm chip, according to a report today from Taiwanese publication DigiTimes. This chip would likely be Apple's next-generation M3 chip, which would offer faster performance and improved power efficiency compared to Apple's current 5nm chips.

MacBook-Air-M2-Chip-Purple-Feature.jpg

"The supply chain is more focused on the more affordable MacBook Air, which is expected to be updated in the second half of 2023 and may be equipped with a 3nm processor," the report says, citing industry sources. The report does not provide any additional details about the MacBook Air or a more specific launch timeframe.

Apple's chipmaking partner TSMC kicked off mass production of 3nm chips in late December. The M3 chip in the next MacBook Air could be one of Apple's first 3nm chips alongside the A17 Bionic chip in iPhone 15 Pro models later this year.

Earlier this week, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro will also be updated with 3nm M3 Pro and M3 Max chips in 2024. This would be a familiar pattern for Apple, as the M1 and M2 chips debuted in the MacBook Air, followed by Pro and Max versions of those chips in the MacBook Pro later.

There's a few caveats to consider with this report. First, these are the same DigiTimes authors who claimed that the just-announced 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips would be "delayed" beyond early 2023, which was incorrect. Second, display industry analyst Ross Young last month claimed that a 15-inch MacBook Air would be released in the first half of 2023. If today's report is accurate, then perhaps both 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Airs with 3nm chips will launch in the second half of 2023 instead.

The current MacBook Air with the M2 chip was released in July and features an all-new design with a notch in the display, MagSafe charging, a 1080p camera, and more. Apple also continues to sell a MacBook Air with the M1 chip.

Article Link: New MacBook Air With 3nm M3 Chip Rumored to Launch in Second Half of 2023

Last edited:

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
Make sense if Apple going to introduce MBA 15 inch which essential is big brother to 13-inch. So future MBA lineup could be following:

1. MBA Classic M1/M2 ? 13-inch $999
2. New MBA 13 with M3 $1199
3. New MBA 15 with M3 $1399?

Hmm, wonder will Apple update classic MBA to M2 since Mac Mini just being updated to M2.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Make sense if Apple going to introduce MBA 15 inch which essential is big brother to 13-inch. So future MBA lineup could be following:

Hmm, wonder will Apple update classic MBA to M2 since Mac Mini just being updated to M2.
DigiTimes also claimed the M2 Pro/Mac MBP were delayed, this sounds like bogus talk once again from a repeat offender. Forget the iMac, Studio or eve MP let’s just jump on M3 right away.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I think there will be M fatigue with these naming (M1,M2,...), release dates, and the manufacturing issues that have thrown a wrench in Apple's project life cycle. There is alot of overlap happening with chip releases and if you are not upto speed with the specs and names, confusion will def set in when we hit M4/M5..if maybe the M3 is still around or will that be discontinued..coz you cannot have M1 - M3/M4 etc in all these devices in your products with each yearly update. If they release m3 this year, its going to be catch for those with M1 products to get them up to speed with similar spec bump press release for those devices and its going to continue like a vicious circle for all these products.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
M3 will launch at WWDC. It will launch with the 15" Macbook Air. It will use the A17 cores that will go into the iPhone 15 Pro.

Why not the A16 cores from iPhone 14? Because the A16 cores are designed for 5nm family of nodes. 3nm design rules are completely different. So Apple will use the upcoming A17 3nm cores as the base for M3.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
"Affordable"... yeah, well, the MacBook Air M1 they're still selling is somewhat "affordable". The rest of the lineup is just crazy. I mean, even my uni are starting to get worried about the pricing.
We get lowered prices from the likes of Dell and HP and crazy prices hikes from Apple. Sooner or later, Apple will price themselves out of the game. At least here in Europe where prices are much higher.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK

Ideally, it would be…

1. MBA Classic - discontinued
2. New MBA 13 with M3 $999
3. New MBA 13 with M3 $1299

But I think you’re probably right. Apple does seem to favour keeping old stuff around in order to justify higher new starting prices these days.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I am amazed how short sighted people are on here. Yes, Digitizes have a horrible track record, but they have hit the mark on several occasions.

Just looking at releases so far, the last two MBAs were released 15 months apart, which would put the next release in the October/November time frame, which is 2h23. This would also be a full year after TSMC has mass produced 3nm chips, so quite realistic.

Personally, I will be ready to snatch one up, to replace my current M3 Macbook.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Who cares if M3 gets released. I have M1 and it's cool. What is M2 doing that M1 can't? Nothing. Same with M3. Apple is Microsoft. Every year come out with a new and faster processor and get people excited enough to buy a new computer.

It reminds me of when a 1.8ghz processor was released 3 months after a 1.6ghz and then a 2.0ghz was released 6 months after the 1.8ghz. Like who cares? Thats why Jobs took advantage of the market and turned Apple into what it was. He INNOVATED.

pacificblue

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2020
I am amazed how short sighted people are on here. Yes, Digitizes have a horrible track record, but they have hit the mark on several occasions.

Just looking at releases so far, the last two MBAs were released 15 months apart, which would put the next release in the October/November time frame, which is 2h23. This would also be a full year after TSMC has mass produced 3nm chips, so quite realistic.

Personally, I will be ready to snatch one up, to replace my current M3 Macbook.
How is stating the obvious "hitting the mark"? If I say "the next iPhone will be released around October time in Q3 of 2023", am I now a reliable analyst? Maybe I will just start a Twitter account for these bold predictions, and soon MacRumors will start reporting on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.