Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
So the current 2022 iPad does not have a chip that will support the full feature set of Apple Intelligence when it comes out later this year/next year.
I'm wondering if theres an imminent refresh coming for the entry level iPad and will it have an M1 or an A17 Pro CPU? Anyone heard any rumours or got any good guesses?

Squiggles Chitter

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2024
Apple realy likes to force people to buy their more expensive products. I think the iPad 11th gen will have the A15 or A16 bionic chip.

Last edited:

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
They don't tend to like to release new products that can't take advantage of existing/imminent/announced features though.

pappkristof

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2015
A17 would be a huge advancement, but I doubt that they are going to make it entry level. It would make the iPad Air look a poor value for the price.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
UK
A17 would be a huge advancement, but I doubt that they are going to make it entry level. It would make the iPad Air look a poor value for the price.
The Airs are M2 now though right? All the Macs are M2 or M3. Thats why I'm thinking the entry level iPad goes M1, use up any supply they have left or any fab capacity they haven't switched to newer nodes and they don't have to release a new product that doesn't support an announced OS feature.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
So the current 2022 iPad does not have a chip that will support the full feature set of Apple Intelligence when it comes out later this year/next year.
I'm wondering if theres an imminent refresh coming for the entry level iPad and will it have an M1 or an A17 Pro CPU? Anyone heard any rumours or got any good guesses?
No imminent refresh. Apple just announced its latest lineup of iPads in May. I wouldn’t look for anything new until at least March 2025 at the earliest.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Some think the iPad 11 might get a chip that can handle it but at the price tag of the iPad 10 before the drop 2 months ago while the iPad 10 remains as the cheaper one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.