Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
I have an older PC and I want to copy and send a word file from the pc to my Mac.
If I copy the msft product code or whatever they call the subscription number, will it work on my Mac?

Where do I find the product code for msft on my Mac?

I have tried looking and can't find it, but then I did not spend much time looking for it, did not have much time.

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Microsoft Word, and related Office products, are a part of Office 365. I don't believe there is a "license key" anymore. What version of Word are you using on your Mac, and on what version of macOS? You should be able to copy the document to a thumb drive, cloud storage, etc., and open it on the Mac.

Reactions: DallasCowboysFan

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you just want the Word document to view it, and possibly to do simple editing, you probably don't need Word, just an app that can open Word documents, such as Apple's Pages (which you may already have on your Mac)
Even TextEdit can open (some) MS docs, but I would go with the free LibreOffice, which is a full suite, similar to MS Office, and often very compatible with MS files. I also use Bean - another free app that is quite capable with MS Word docs.
BUT, do you already have Microsoft Office installed? Then, just use that... No need to find the product key, if you already have Office installed.
Finally - If you must use MS Office, and you already have a license for another Mac (or Windows PC), then it will depend on the license that you have. If you have license for only one copy, on one computer, then you will have to add another computer to your license/subscription. You just need a call to MS support for that.

Last edited:

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
I could not open the doc with another app, I managed to sign onto word after many attempts.
It was irritating.
I had to open msft, but my password did not work.
I changed it, and it did not work
I changed it again using the same password and it worked.

I'll try Only office ....as well.

Thanks

Reactions: rm5

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You may have already tried this (as per reply 5 above) but...
- copy the Word file to the Mac (desktop is a good place)
- RIGHT click on the file (or hold down the control key as you left click) to invoke the contextual menu.
- You should see "Open", and then "Open with..."
- If you go to the Open with choice, what options do you see?

Another thought
On the older PC, when you have that same doc open, does MS Word give you the option to save in other formats?

The ones I'd try are:
- Word 97-2004 document (.doc)
and
- Rich Text format (.rtf)

Try BOTH.
Then, take both files to the Mac, and see if they'll open that way.

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
Product key for PC is not going to work on a Mac. You have to make a new purchase if you are using the desktop app. The online version is free across different devices.

Reactions: Nermal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.