Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
One major complaint I've had of iPadOS is that you can't designate files or folders to always stayed downloaded to iPad. (the default behavior on Mac is to always have iCloud Drive files downloaded to Mac unless "optimize space" is selected).

According to this article from 9 to 5 Mac - iPadOS now allows for you to designate a file or folder to always stayed downloaded. Given the amount of time I spend on planes this is a welcome change to take the guess work out of whether a file will be available.

Last edited:

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Agree, it’s a welcome addition that I’ve noticed. Just a shame there are so few improvements to the Files app, was expecting much more.

Reactions: Cbarnett202

bobbyjack

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2017
Paris
I'm still waiting for them to do the same with the Books app.... the number of times I got the great surprise to not have my books anymore when on a trip...

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
That’s because it’s not a desktop computer. Maybe you would be happier with an iMac or a Mac Mini.. you know, desktop computers?
Do you seriously believe that only desktop computers have a desktop? ... lol

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
I believe that you do not understand the difference between a desktop-class computer and a mobile tablet-class device.
I believe you dont understand what computer or tablet are, if you think that desktop is only used by desktop computers lol.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
One major complaint I've had of iPadOS is that you can't designate files or folders to always stayed downloaded to iPad. (the default behavior on Mac is to always have iCloud Drive files downloaded to Mac unless "optimize space" is selected).

According to this article from 9 to 5 Mac - iPadOS now allows for you to designate a file or folder to always stayed downloaded. Given the amount of time I spend on planes this is a welcome change to take the guess work out of whether a file will be available.

Yeah, this is a very welcome change. I have to keep re-downloading some iCloud Drive folders because iPadOS has decided to offload them to cloud.

I’ve resorted to making copies to “On My iPad” for files I need to always have available offline. Problem with that, I need to remember to manually “sync” them to iCloud.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
There’s been window management since iPadOS16 with stage manager. It’s not the same window management as a mac but it’s still window management.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
There’s been window management since iPadOS16 with stage manager. It’s not the same window management as a mac but it’s still window management.
I tried it properly the other day for the first time in a while and found it quite neat. It's not something i could use for a long period of time, but if i was going home to see my parents for Xmas, i could happily plug it into a spare monitor and have a nicer experience using a mouse and keyboard. It's one of the factors tempting me to upgrade to the 13in M4 iPad as my old (but still solid) 2018 iPP does not support external monitors.

Reactions: Ludatyk and Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.