Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikep976

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Washington
Does anyone else wish / know of a Magic Keyboard Folio for Pros? I adore the Surface, but can’t leave my iPad because it just fits into my workflow so much better. I have always wished something like the Surface Pro keyboard or the Magic Keyboard Folio existed for the Pros. I realize Logitech makes one, and I’ve given it a try, but it adds so much freaking weight and bulk to the iPad, while the MKF on the 10th Gen iPad is so thin, light, and gives back protection / level surface for drawing.

Anyone know of an off brand version for the Pro / wish Apple would make one for us Pros?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the only brands that have compatible keyboards at the moment are Apple, ESR, and Logitech. I wonder if the closest thing you could do is to get a separate Bluetooth keyboard. I know Logitech just announced their keys to go version 2, so you could look into that.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
100%. I downgraded from an iPad Pro to an iPad 10 because it is just such a better accessory (Also got the folio on open box clearance for $97.) And now I use my iPad way more (Fair warning - it is noticeably slower and the screen noticeably worse, so I'd only recommend that if you are an iPad as a secondary device user.) The iPad sucks as a laptop IMO, and the magic keyboard (normal) forces you into a laptop mode by default, requiring multiple steps to just get it free and the keyboard put away. Pull it out of the bag, open it (two hands) detach the iPad, fold the keyboard up and put away keyboard.

The Folio lets me just grab the iPad straight out of my bag, detaching the keyboard in one motion AND has the additional benefit of just having a built in stand with barely any extra bulk. And I always have the keyboard there in case I need it.

I had the logitech keyboard for my iPad Pro but I hated it, the bulk of the case just made the whole setup feel crappy, and the kickstand worked fine but just felt too flimsy. Also the trackpad was bad (diving board for the pre-M4 version.)

Unfortunately, Apple is insistent on putting the smart connector on the middle back of the iPad Pro's/Air's, so the folio will probably never exist. You would have to run traces down from the stand part of the case, then somehow connect them with a flap to the keyboard part

I'm just surprised that nobody has copied the magnetically attached kickstand part (Not even just for M4, for all previous iPad models.) Even if just that part existed I could probably get by with that + screen protector + a bluetooth keyboard.

oakrrl

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
There are several threads to this, wasn't sure where to post, wanted to share my solution for a keyboard and case for my M4 IPP 13"

I wanted something that
  • had a case to protect my IPP but was lightweight enough it wouldn't bother me if I was just reading, playing - and that the case could come off easily so I could also use the IPP naked when I wanted to
  • had a keyboard and trackpad for when I was traveling. I wasn't interested in turning my iPad into a laptop - there are apps that only run (well) on Mac OS, so I have a MBP
  • allowed me to use iPad in both vertical and horizontal orientations
I already had an Apple Smart Folio I'd purchased when I first got IPP. It works pretty well but doesn't have a keyboard, doesn't allow for vertical orientation, and it doesn't protect edges of IP for travel.

I tried several options:
  1. Apple MKB - great materials, but too $$$$, doesn't allow for vertical orientation, no protection when remove IP
  2. Logitech MKB - has a case when you remove KB, kind of heavy, still $$$, no vertical orientation
  3. ESR Rebound - has a case when off the KB, does vertical/horizontal, pretty good protection - but I didn't like the viewing angle, and heavier than I wanted
  4. Considered a skin, screen protector, and separate KB and stand to go with Folio case, but every screen protector degrades the beautiful OLED display, and one of my primary uses for IP is to display photos. Also, awkward to carry separate components.
WHAT WORKS FOR ME: ESR ASCENT KB + APPLE MAGIC FOLIO
  • I found I can keep IP in its folio case and, when sitting at a table, prop it up up in vertical or horizontal against the Ascent KB kickstand
  • I can close the Ascent KB around the IP while it's still in its Folio case, and I'm set to travel (Note: the Ascent comes with a magnetic case, but it doesn't have a screen cover. If that doesn't bother you, you could skip the Folio case, but I find the Folio doesn't weigh much more (if at all) than the Ascent case, offers, more protection, and comes off more easily
  • The Ascent KB has good action & trackpad. I'd prefer if it used Smart Connector rather than a battery, but that's no big deal for me
  • Note the ESR Ascent, with its kickstand, doesn't work great on a lap. It's useable - more than the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio (no longer available for IPP M4), but not a laptop replacement.
HOPE THIS HELPS ANY OF YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SIMILAR FOR YOU IPP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.