Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
This is #macmini2018hdmigate ...

Mac Mini 2018 -> no HDMI after OS Upgrade is a known problem.
Apple support confirmed to me today that they know that and are working on a solution.

The problem started with Mojave 10.14.6. The only permanent solution today is to go back and stay on Mojave 10.14.5 on Mac mini 2018 as long as Apple is able to fix this.

My Mac mini 2018 has now the third logicboard. The new logicboard always came with Mojave and it broke after upgrading to Catalina.

I got my Mac mini 2018 back from Apple partner yesterday. Mojave was on it and HDMI was working.
Then i have started internet recovery to install Catalina 10.15.2 and HDMI was still working.

Today i upgraded to Catalina 10.15.3 and the #macmini2018hdmigate is back again.

After all this trouble with two logicboard replacements and support chats and support calls
i found, that the SECOND update on a fresh logicboard breaks HDMI on a Mac mini 2018.

Example one:

New mac Mini 2018 with Mojave 10.14.5 -> HDMI ok
Update to 10.14.6 -> HDMI ok
Update to 10.14.6 supplemental update -> HDMI fail

Example two:

New logicboard in Mac mini 2018 with Mojave 10.14.6 -> HDMI ok
Internet Recovery -> install Catalina 10.15.1 -> HDMI ok
Update to Catalina 10.15.2 -> HDMI fail

Example three:

New logicboard in Mac mini 2018 with Mojave 10.14.6 -> HDMI ok
Internet Recovery -> install Catalina 10.15.2 -> HDMI ok
Update to Catalina 10.15.3 -> HDMI fail

SMC reset does not help.

Thunderbolt display is always working, but i have none to test.

Anybody else see this behavior?

• Angry
Reactions: DaPhox

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
Do you see the same problems if you use a USB type-C/Thunderbolt (mac side) to HDMI (monitor side) cable? I find that using the USB type-C adapter cable to HDMI on my monitor works better for me than HDMI - HDMI cable. Night Shift isn't working, though, so I use f.lux instead, f.lux works about the same:

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What display are you using?
What additional input ports do you have on the back of the display?

Have you tried a DIFFERENT HDMI cable?
Have you tried USBc (Mini) to HDMI (display)?
Have you tried USBc (Mini) to DVI (display)?

Last edited:

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
i tried different HDMI cable, different Apple HDMI to DVI Adapters, different displays.
The error is releated to the Mac mini 2018. All of my adapters and cables i tried work with two Mac mini 2011 and Macbook Pro 2015 without any problems.

If the error occures and i remove power from the mac mini 2018 for some hours, then sometimes HDMI works after the next power on. I would expect, that the error comes back after the next upgrade for all versions until 10.15.3.

Apple support confirmed to me that many mac mini 2018 owner reported this issue and Apple is working on a solution.

I think the did not find the reason for this behavior until today.

Thats why i decribed my findings so someone can reproduce the error.

Today i got a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter from my Apple partner.

As i wrote Thunderbolt always works.

This is #macmini2018hdmigate . I cannot use this device with such issues.
This has to be fixed by Apple soon, i have already the third logigboard....

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco
i tried different HDMI cable, different Apple HDMI to DVI Adapters, different displays.
The error is releated to the Mac mini 2018. All of my adapters and cables i tried work with two Mac mini 2011 and Macbook Pro 2015 without any problems.

If the error occures and i remove power from the mac mini 2018 for some hours, then sometimes HDMI works after the next power on. I would expect, that the error comes back after the next upgrade for all versions until 10.15.3.

Apple support confirmed to me that many mac mini 2018 owner reported this issue and Apple is working on a solution.

I think the did not find the reason for this behavior until today.

Thats why i decribed my findings so someone can reproduce the error.

This is #macmini2018hdmigate . I cannot use this device with such issues.
This has to be fixed by Apple soon, i have already the third logigboard....

I think the point he's making is that it's generally been advised that the mini18-catalina display issue is HDMI related. You can drive your display through the thunderbolt port. Either via USB-C to HDMI cable or an adapter. I've heard from several people using T3 to HDMI or T3 to display have resolved the issue.

I have the same issue with mine. Went from working as expected for almost a year to **** show the minute I installed Catalina. I run n EGPU and I can't get display working from it without booting the Mac and then eGPU after. If it's present/on during boot, black screen. Huge PIA.

One thing, my understanding is reverting back to Mojave will correct the issue BUT you have to totally reset it it's factory new settings where Mojave was the first OS on it.

Since you just got yours I'd probably opt for this option first.

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
yes, this is #macmini2018hdmigate

Properly this does not get enough attention until today because there are not so many Mac mini 2018 in the field compared to other Apple products.
And perhaps only a few are using HDMI.
And properly most of them who are seeing this issue tried Thunderbolt and now think, their HDMI cables are broken or have compatibility issues.

But again, this is releated to the HDMI port of the Mac mini and if Apple cannot fix this in software, the only way to fix this would be recalling all Mac mini 2018 and replace all logicboards with new versions without the problem.

Otherwise the customers where left allone with a broken product.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:

Fishrrman's computer credo:
Use what works for you.
Don't use what doesn't work.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I believe the OP but go figure in typical 2018 Mac mini and Catalina issues, I just received my 27" Phillips 4K monitor and it's being driven by the Mini's HDMI port. No blank screens on startup, no having to turn off and back on the monitor or having to unplug and reseat the HDMI cable. Everything is working just fine.

OTOH, i've been dealing with Bluetooth disconnects with my Magic Trackpad 2 and wireless USB mouse. Last week my Dell monitor went all snow/static after coming out of sleep. Then I shutdown my Mini and for some reason it restarted. I shutdown the Mini a second time, this time from the Login screen and when I rebooted I got a message that the 2018 Mini was powered off incorrectly.

Just a lot of weird stuff with Apple's latest hardware and OS.

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
i also had at one point a show like screen on Mac mini 2018 HDMI.

In that case Thunderbolt was working, but HDMI could only be fixed by replacing the logigboard.

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco
Have you tried to the MacOS combo update from Apple? I was getting a bunch of screen freezes and after the combo, it only froze once and it seems generally to be running better.

I'm guessing this is is probably not the same issue. The issue we're speaking of prevents users from using an EGPU with certain cards when you boot up.
[automerge]1581033583[/automerge]
yes, this is #macmini2018hdmigate

Properly this does not get enough attention until today because there are not so many Mac mini 2018 in the field compared to other Apple products.
And perhaps only a few are using HDMI.
And properly most of them who are seeing this issue tried Thunderbolt and now think, their HDMI cables are broken or have compatibility issues.

But again, this is releated to the HDMI port of the Mac mini and if Apple cannot fix this in software, the only way to fix this would be recalling all Mac mini 2018 and replace all logicboards with new versions without the problem.

Otherwise the customers where left allone with a broken product.

this was introduced via software/OS; not sure we need new logicboards. It worked with the last OS so im guessing a software fix would resolve this.

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco
Correct it doesn’t. I actually only know of the display issue with epgu but it might be direct as well.

Point being it’s a display issue where it doesn’t work at all since the os update (usually black screen). It’s not freezing.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I believe the OP but go figure in typical 2018 Mac mini and Catalina issues, I just received my 27" Phillips 4K monitor and it's being driven by the Mini's HDMI port. No blank screens on startup, no having to turn off and back on the monitor or having to unplug and reseat the HDMI cable. Everything is working just fine.

OTOH, i've been dealing with Bluetooth disconnects with my Magic Trackpad 2 and wireless USB mouse. Last week my Dell monitor went all snow/static after coming out of sleep. Then I shutdown my Mini and for some reason it restarted. I shutdown the Mini a second time, this time from the Login screen and when I rebooted I got a message that the 2018 Mini was powered off incorrectly.

Just a lot of weird stuff with Apple's latest hardware and OS.

Do you have a USB 3 hub? If you do, move it further away from the Mac mini. Disconnect it first though to see if the disconnects stop.

I had the same issue and when I disconnected the USB hub, the problem went away. Seems they interfere if they're too close. I now use the hub in the monitor and don't have any issues. Further away and probably better shielded.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Correct it doesn’t. I actually only know of the display issue with epgu but it might be direct as well.

Point being it’s a display issue where it doesn’t work at all since the os update (usually black screen). It’s not freezing.
I realize that but the combo helped my issue, it "may" help other issues. It's worth a try.

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
This is #macmini2018hdmigate ...

Thank you for your help.

Applying macOSUpdCombo10.15.3.dmg did not help.
The situation still is the same:

1. Connect Display using Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter to macMini2080
2. Booting MacMini 2018 with Catalina 10.15.3 installed -> blank screen on HDMI
3. wait about 30 - 60 seconds
4. disconnect and reconnect HDMI display (using Apple HDMI to DVI adapter) -> login screen visible

second try:
1. Connect Display using Apple Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter and Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter
2. Booting MacMini 2018 with Catalina 10.15.3 installed -> screen visible

Again, this still is an issue with macMini2018 and HDMI, Apple needs to fix this.

Yesterday i tried to reach somebody from Apple "business support" .
The only difference beetween business and end user would be, that business users will have another ordering experience, but the support will be the same.

Sorry Apple are you should take this issues serious.

I cannot by another Apple product until this issue are fixed.

Ok, what can i do? I can take the Macmini2028 back to the Apple partner and let them try to fix this by ordering another logicboard from Apple.

I will not use this device until this issue is fixed, even if that would take 10 logicboard replacements.

Is there anybody out there from Apple who is interested in fixing such issues?
Its a 3,2 GBz 6 core I7 with 1 TB SSD, all soldered on the logicboard.

What a waste of resources getting rid of all of them three times until now because of the HDMI issue...

Apple, please fix this #macmini2018hdmigate

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
Update to #macmini2018hdmigate
disconnecting MacMini 2018 from power source for 12 hours did not change anything.
Again, HDMI is only workinhg after disconnect and reconnect to the macMini2018.
In that past i had the situation that after disconnect the MacMini2018 from power for about 12 hours and driving it to the Apple dealer in a cold car fixed the issue. At the Apple dealer, HDMI was working immediately.
Back in the office the error was fixed for one or two boots, that it was back again.

In the case the issue occurs sometimes i get a frequency out of range message from the display.

Seems that the problem has to do how display parameters are stored for the current display.
And MacMini2028 looses the information about the connected display somehow or he had corrupted data about it.

Does anybody know how display parameters are stored and how i can check the status of the stored parameters.I need to find out the difference between a failed situation and a working situation.
As far as i see there are now two issues:

1. HDMI on MacMini2019 does only work after the second connect
2. MacMini2018 looses settings from NVRAM after some hours without power source.

If i cannot fix this, the MacMini2028 needs to go back to Apple to let them try to fix this.
But i am worried about that the only solution they have would be replacing the logic board again.

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco
Update to #macmini2018hdmigate
disconnecting MacMini 2018 from power source for 12 hours did not change anything.
Again, HDMI is only workinhg after disconnect and reconnect to the macMini2018.
In that past i had the situation that after disconnect the MacMini2018 from power for about 12 hours and driving it to the Apple dealer in a cold car fixed the issue. At the Apple dealer, HDMI was working immediately.
Back in the office the error was fixed for one or two boots, that it was back again.

In the case the issue occurs sometimes i get a frequency out of range message from the display.

Seems that the problem has to do how display parameters are stored for the current display.
And MacMini2028 looses the information about the connected display somehow or he had corrupted data about it.

Does anybody know how display parameters are stored and how i can check the status of the stored parameters.I need to find out the difference between a failed situation and a working situation.
As far as i see there are now two issues:

1. HDMI on MacMini2019 does only work after the second connect
2. MacMini2018 looses settings from NVRAM after some hours without power source.

If i cannot fix this, the MacMini2028 needs to go back to Apple to let them try to fix this.
But i am worried about that the only solution they have would be replacing the logic board again.
You can resolve it my wiping your mini to factory settings. Since it’s a software issue not upgrading to Catalina will ensure it doesn’t return.

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
i had already done this, wiping to factory reset and internet recovery to Mojave. As soon as there is a security update for Mojave, HDMI breaks.
To be more precisely, in my test HDMI broke after the first update which followed a factory reset and internet recovery. Same for Mojave and Catalina.

To be honest, i refuse to running Mac Mini without being able to install the latest security update.

Can be that a fresh installation with new version will work, i need to test that.

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
Today i reconnected the Mac Mini 2018 to power, again, no HDMI output after power on.
Disconnect HDMI, reconnect it again -> HDMI ok
Next step: reset SMC -> no change of behavior -> no HDMI after power on
Next step: reset NVRAM > no change of behavior -> no HDMI after power on
Next step: Hardware diag > press D on power on -> no HDMI after power on, but no Hardware error found
Next step: hardware diag with Apple Thinderbolt to HDMI adapter -> no display -> disconnect/ reconnect Thunterbolt adapter -> Display ok
Next step: reboot with HDMI connected after HDMI is working -> HDMI still working after a reboot
Next step: power down macMini 2018 with HDMI connectet-> power up -> HDMI not working -> disconnect reconnect HDMI -> HDMI working

its so frustration, this is #macmini2018hdmigate

This needs to be fixed by Apple. mac mini goes back to reseller now.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Thomas

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Never had any issues with HDMI from the mini. Catalina 10.15.3.

No problems on previous versions either. The only issues I've had / heard of is the eGPU black screen on boot problem.

It's looking like a visit to the Genius Bar for it to be checked out.

tstimper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
Never had any issues with HDMI from the mini. Catalina 10.15.3.

No problems on previous versions either. The only issues I've had / heard of is the eGPU black screen on boot problem.

It's looking like a visit to the Genius Bar for it to be checked out.

Do you have Mac Mini 2018 i5 or i7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.