Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidKlavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2024
So I want to buy a new MacBook since my 2015 MacBook Pro more and more becomes a pain to use. I have an iPad Pro m1 12.9 with Magic Keyboard but gave up using it as my main computer long ago.
Since I’m not a power user that needs a pro computer, an air would probably be enough but I use an iPad Pro and iPhone pro with 120 hz and I think the 60 hz air would bother me in the long run. I love the iPad Pro mini led display and never had a problem with it. Also I’m curious at how the m3 pro handles gaming.
I went to an Apple Store yesterday to have a look at both the 14” MacBook Pro m3 pro and the 13” m3 air and I was a bit disappointed at how heavy the MacBook Pro is and how comfortable the air feels in the hand.
Would you say that the portability of the MacBook Air is more important than display and power in my case?
I want to use it for at least the next five years and money fortunately isn’t a problem right now. Thank you for helping out!

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Two main things to consider;
  1. If you appreciate mini-LED then the Air is sure to disappoint major league. Its complete inability to reproduce anything even approaching zero-luminance black is a major blight on all photo and video content. Especially in low light. In my experience the M3 (Pro) MBP mini-LED is also markedly superior to the iPad in its nuanced control of the LEDs, so you'll likely also find the MBP is an upgrade on the iPad display as opposed to a definite downgrade.
  2. The 13" Air is going to be seriously lacking in audio quality from its inbuilt speakers. MBP is vastly superior. Particularly the 16" but the 14" is also no slouch. Unless you listen to everything via headphones then this isn't a trivial consideration.
As to whether or not any of this trumps portability, well, only you can decide. Personally I couldn't live with the ancient backlighting technology in the Air, let alone 60hz. The 120hz mini-LED displays, however, do exhibit some motion smearing due to their tardy pixel response, but if you didn't notice it on iPad you probably won't on MBP.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidKlavid

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m curious at how the m3 pro handles gaming.
For the limited number of games you can play on macOS, probably fairly well. It’s going to have an advantage over the Air with active cooling and more powerful graphics.

I went to an Apple Store yesterday to have a look at both the 14” MacBook Pro m3 pro and the 13” m3 air and I was a bit disappointed at how heavy the MacBook Pro is and how comfortable the air feels in the hand.
I agree that there’s a big difference in how they feel. Ine prioritizes lightness and portability and the other prioritizes power. My suggestion would be go back to the Apple Store and look at the display. Only you can answer this question Because only you have your eyes. I didn’t see a big difference between the displays.

Would you say that the portability of the MacBook Air is more important than display and power in my case?
Do you carry the computer around? That’s another question to should ask yourself. If it‘s going to sit on a desk, then it really doesn’t matter.

Reactions: DavidKlavid

DavidKlavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2024
The 120hz mini-LED displays, however, do exhibit some motion smearing due to their tardy pixel response, but if you didn't notice it on iPad you probably won't on MBP.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes I really liked the iPad Pros Display and never noticed any smearing so the MacBooks mini led display will probably be perfect for me.

Since M4 MacBooks are on the way and it’s not yet clear if they implement the oled display just yet would you wait until the end of the year or just buy the m3 pro now with a discount?

DavidKlavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2024
Do you carry the computer around? That’s another question to should ask yourself. If it‘s going to sit on a desk, then it really doesn’t matter.
I mostly use it on my lap or carry it around. Only occasionally it sits on a desk.
So the weight plays a role in my decision making.

The air’s display however in my opinion is noticeably worse than the pros. It’s not as bright, not as smooth and lacks contrast.

Thanks for the reply. Right now I’m leaning towards buying the pro just for the display.

Reactions: russell_314

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks for the reply!

Yes I really liked the iPad Pros Display and never noticed any smearing so the MacBooks mini led display will probably be perfect for me.

Since M4 MacBooks are on the way and it’s not yet clear if they implement the oled display just yet would you wait until the end of the year or just buy the m3 pro now with a discount?

I doubt OLED is coming to MacBook Pro this year, or even next. Personally I am so impressed with the M3 MBP mini-LED in comparison to its iPad counterpart that I'm left wondering if I might prefer it over the prospect of potential OLED longevity problems three years down the road. There's still some blooming with static screen elements contrasted against near-fullscreen black, but there's no clouds of confused backlighting following video content around as can often be the case with its iPad sibling.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
OLED is at least a couple of years out.

Given:
  • Your concerns about display quality
  • The fact you want it to last 4-5 years
  • “Money is no object”
The MacBook Pro is the best option.

The weight difference is not massive - hard to do an Apples-to-Apples comparison since the Air is 13/15 and the Pro is 14/16 but ANY choice is likely going to be smaller/lighter vs your 2015 model. Yes, if you have a 14” Pro in your right hand and a 13” Air in your left, the Pro is noticeably heavier. But you’ll only be in that position in an Apple Store, not while you’re using it. You will notice display issues on the Air when the Pro isn’t nearby, though.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Also the Air's notch will be more noticeable in movie bars and fullscreen apps viewed in low light, where the notch is black and the screen is not. The Pro's active backlighting eliminates this phenomenon entirely, since it can display true black. Not a big deal for most users, admittedly, but I for one don't want a back notch biting into a gray-silver adjoining landscape.

In the end, the Air is great but thickness/weight/cost are its only advantages. The Pro is just better at everything. And of course so it should be 👍

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
The MBair 2020 M1 (silver) is an incredible, beautiful and very light notebook as was the 2010 models.
i used the 2010 for CS4 graphic design on buses, airports and anyware else, but my favorite and most memorial incident was in 2013 in June while outside watching the Stanley Cup finals outdoor in a Wisc. beer garden, several fans inched over and hovered my table and watch the game, since the TV screen's satellite feed went down.

macbook airs will always provide enough power and portability to satisfy any task.
My MBA2010 lasted 14 years and maybe more so these new ones should last longer.

Reactions: WarmWinterHat

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I personally have the m1 iPad Pro and m3 pro 14 inch and a work supplied m1 air.

I notice the blacks are better on the pro and iPad but other than that I don’t really notice a massive difference or at least enough to bother me in general use.

The big difference I notice is the weight but I mainly just it at home so it doesn’t bother me.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
No one can answer this except you. For me, the Air's portability outshines the Pro's advantages by a long shot; I want lightweight, and NO FANS...not quiet fans, but NO FANS..no exceptions! When I want a better screen, I have a desktop monitor I connect it to. That said, I think the screen on my M1 Air is fantastic, and having used the Pro several times, the difference doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't play games or use my computer for movies, video or streaming, other than editing GoPro video and photo editing, so maybe it would be different if I did.

Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I've always been a 'lighter is better' kind of guy, but agree with the others that only you can decide whether the Air's lighter weight is worth the tradeoffs in the screen or performance.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
So I want to buy a new MacBook since my 2015 MacBook Pro more and more becomes a pain to use. I have an iPad Pro m1 12.9 with Magic Keyboard but gave up using it as my main computer long ago.
Since I’m not a power user that needs a pro computer, an air would probably be enough but I use an iPad Pro and iPhone pro with 120 hz and I think the 60 hz air would bother me in the long run. I love the iPad Pro mini led display and never had a problem with it. Also I’m curious at how the m3 pro handles gaming.
I want to use it for at least the next five years and money fortunately isn’t a problem right now. Thank you for helping out!

Power is definitely not an issue. The M2 and M3 MBA will go all day.

Depending on what you will use it for, screen may not matter either. I have the 15” M2 MBA for the screen size. For what I do — 1080 video, photoshop email and web surfing — the screen is great.

I have recently retired, so portability is no longer an issue for me, but with that said, I went with the 15” MBA specifically for the portability.

Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I mostly use it on my lap or carry it around. Only occasionally it sits on a desk.
So the weight plays a role in my decision making.

The air’s display however in my opinion is noticeably worse than the pros. It’s not as bright, not as smooth and lacks contrast.

Thanks for the reply. Right now I’m leaning towards buying the pro just for the display.
Definitely go with the Pro if you’d like the display better. It’s what you interact with with your eyes so it’s very important.

I tell people go to the Apple Store and look at them. I could tell you that the weight feels significantly different, but you might pick them up and think it feels very close.

I think everyone’s eyes are a little different so how they see it is different. For example the Pro display is brighter but for me that wouldn’t make a difference because I use my Air at max 50% brightness so it would be more unused brightness capability. Some might want or need a brighter screen.

Reactions: thmsnt

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I personally have the m1 iPad Pro and m3 pro 14 inch and a work supplied m1 air.

I notice the blacks are better on the pro and iPad but other than that I don’t really notice a massive difference or at least enough to bother me in general use.

The big difference I notice is the weight but I mainly just it at home so it doesn’t bother me.
Yeah, I think that’s where someone’s vision may be different. I don’t see them as significantly different either. I’ve looked at them side by side and yes, there is a difference but not enough to justify the weight and price. Maybe some people are more sensitive to the colors and how they look.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I use m1 iPP a lot, my family shares a M2MBA. For me mba isn’t a good experience when I move around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.