Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi so for the better part of a few years I’ve always stuck with the smallest iPhone possible.

iPhone 4 back in the day and then went to an iPhone SE 1st Gen.

Admittedly I did enjoy an iPhone 7 Plus afterwards but that particular phone was such a joy to hold and use with one hand as well.

Then I went to an iPhone SE 2nd Gen and enjoyed it as well.

But now I’ve ‘upgraded’ to an iPhone 14 and hate that I can’t really use it one handed.

And the reachbility feature doesn’t seem all that great considering the menu on the majority of my apps on the bottom of the screen so if I swipe down for Reachbility uses, I’m sent to a different menu option, say for example InstaGram.

Can anyone provide some good tips on using one of these larger iPhones that Apple now considers to be the normal size?

I’ll attach a photo of how much I want to use Reachability in Instagram but the menu always sends me somewhere else.

Attachments

• 223CEE78-98A2-4EFD-97DF-201ACEF12163.jpeg
    223CEE78-98A2-4EFD-97DF-201ACEF12163.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 64

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It’s not exactly due to size as you were able to use a 7 Plus with one hand. The 14 is unwieldy due to there being no bezel… even the Mini isn’t particularly great for one handed use and it’s still considered a small phone.

Reactions: HappyDude20

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It’s not exactly due to size as you were able to use a 7 Plus with one hand. The 14 is unwieldy due to there being no bezel… even the Mini isn’t particularly great for one handed use and it’s still considered a small phone.
See I would have gotten the mini but the major appeal for the upgrade was the battery life

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Use the Tapback feature to easily invoke Reachabiity.

Amazing answer. Thank u so much. Am gonna turn the feature on and live with it for a week and report back. Thanks!

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
This is a little tricky but if you start swiping up like you're going to close an app and then quickly swipe to the bottom of the screen without lifting your finger it will activate Reachability as well. That way you won't accidentally press anything. I've attached a video to demonstrate. (I have it on back tap as well but I find it can be a bit finicky.)

Last edited:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
This is a little tricky but if you start swiping up like you're going to close an app and then quickly swipe to the bottom of the screen without lifting your finger it will activate Reachability as well. That way you won't accidentally press anything. I've attached a video to demonstrate. (I have it on back tap as well but I find it can be a bit finicky.)

View attachment 2393745
This method works great but only when you’re in an app and not just on your Home Screen.

I’m gonna be using this method, which I already like, and the one Apple_Robert suggested above.

Reactions: Paddle1

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
So update. I ended up deciding on tactic Paddle1 recommended. It’s not the home button but it’s the best alternative there is.

The Accessibility feature that Apple Robert recommended is cool but not super practical to tap the back of my phone sometimes multiple times a minute.

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.