Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some iPhone 16 models will feature thinner bezels thanks to Border Reduction Structure (BRS) technology, The Elec reports.

Apple-iPhone-15-Pro-lineup-Action-button-230912.jpg

BRS technology allows for a more compact and efficient layout of the screen's underlying circuitry, enabling slimmer bezels without compromising on the display's performance or the device's overall form factor. This requires precise and advanced manufacturing techniques, given the complexity of tighter circuit placement and the need for bending some wiring downwards beneath the bezel.

Display Driver ICs (DDIs), the components at the center of this manufacturing challenge, control the activation and illumination of pixels on the OLED panel. To meet Apple's requirements, LG Display is apparently diversifying its DDI supply chain, bringing on board Novatech from Taiwan alongside its existing supplier, LX Semicon. This move is designed to increase quality control while reducing costs.

It is not clear whether the slimmer bezel technology is destined for the standard iPhone 16 models, the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max, or both. It may be more likely to appear singularly in the iPhone 16 Pro models since these devices are expected to see display size increases from 6.1- to 6.3-inches and 6.7- to 6.9-inches, without a substantial increase in overall size. It is also worth noting that Apple reduced the bezels of the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max last year significantly more than the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus. Last month, a report coming out of Korea suggested that BIS technology will come to the entire iPhone 16 lineup.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Rumored to Feature Even Thinner Bezels

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
If the bezels get much slimmer, it will be hard for me to hold the phone without triggering an accidental screen touch around the edge. That already happens sometimes, when my 15PM is not in a case.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
If the bezels get much slimmer, it will be hard for me to hold the phone without triggering an accidental screen touch around the edge. That already happens sometimes, when my 15PM is not in a case.
because you have the Pro model...here is about the normal iphones that are behind, so probably will have same bezels as the 14 pro models

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
Guys, you gotta see the iPhone as the Porsche 911 of phones. Only incremental changes, refinements and improvements here and there but the designlanguage stays the same. Many are complaining but can you imagine the sarcasm and sh*%storm if Apple radically changed the iPhones design? I bet everyone would hate it because it doesn‘t look like an iPhone anymore.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Guys, you gotta see the iPhone as the Porsche 911 of phones. Only incremental changes, refinements and improvements here and there but the designlanguage stays the same. Many are complaining but can you imagine the sarcasm and sh*%storm if Apple radically changed the iPhones design? I bet everyone would hate it because it doesn‘t look like an iPhone anymore.

Apple has a great track record with cars…

IllegitimateValor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2023
Just don’t sacrifice durability for thinness.. Dropped my XSmax on the gravel three time and now with a couple small knicks there’s a ghost in the machine, sometimes allowing no touches, sometimes touching of its own accord, and sometimes functioning normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.