Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are equipped with a customizable Action button that replaces the traditional mute switch on previous iPhones. By default, the button is set to toggle between Ring and Silent modes, but it can also be assigned to a different action for quick access to the camera, flashlight, Voice Memos, and more.

iPhone-15-Pro-Action-Button-Translate.jpg

One of the options for the Action button will be the Translate app, allowing you to quickly start translating between two languages without having to open the app. However, fine print on Apple's website says the Translate option will not be available for the Action button until later this year, suggesting that it will be enabled in a future iOS 17 update.

A recap of the other options that will be available for the Action button immediately:
  • Ring/Silent
  • Focus
  • Camera
  • Flashlight
  • Voice Memos
  • Magnifier
  • Shortcuts
  • Accessibility
You must press and hold the Action button to launch the assigned action.

iPhone 15 models can be pre-ordered starting Friday, September 15 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time, and will launch on Friday, September 22.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro's Action Button to Support Translate App Later This Year

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The action button could mimic or replace back tap. Having 3 or 4 actions would be a lot more helpful.
I use a double-tap on the back of my 14 Pro for taking screen shots. I use a triple-tap on my power button to lulll all blue out of the screen, leaving an all-red screen which can handy in dark scenario is where eve the dimmest screen is still too harsh. One would think they’ll be enabling two- and three-tap functionality down the road.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I winder if it would be possible to make an app that pops up when the action button is used that allows you to run actions or launch apps or whatever, just a more configurable dock of sorts.
You can definitely do that -- in fact I do it on my Apple Watch. Just have the Action Button open the Shortcuts App (you can even make a Shortcut to open the Shortcuts App if needed). In that app, you can create Shortcuts that do anything you want (e.g. start the Camera in Movie mode), and arrange them in any order you want on the "home" screen when Shortcuts opens. So everything is a click of the Action button and one tap away. That's my plan for it.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
To be fair, translate function to action button wasn't announced to be available now but I wouldn't miss it anyway (not going to Japan or non English speaking countries anytime soon).

What I would do with that button will be set it to camera straight away. There is no other option. I need to capture my Tik Tok memes without delay or scrambling with touch screen.

• Disagree
Reactions: zecanard

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
It's a nice feature. I was wondering, however, if Ring/Silent mode toggl can appear in the Control Center, as a substitute. It's still an important toggl to access in one way or another.

As for the multiple click options, I hope it will come in the feature as a software update! Makes much sense.

LightProtector

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2023
Call me old fashioned, or just old, but I really dislike when companies announce software features before they’re ready, while still positioning them to be part of the OS launch.

This isn’t part of iOS 17 - it might be part of a future update, which is not the same thing.

Now get off my lawn.
It is though. Just not part of 17.0.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.