Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last September, Chinese smartphone maker realme hosted an online competition titled "What's your dream island like?" in which it asked its "loyal fans" to submit ideas for how it could implement what was essentially a copycat version of ‌the iPhone 14 Pro's Dynamic Island‌ on its own devices. So, what version of Apple's innovation did the company settle on?

FpkbqppaIAAsY-t-photoutils.com_-scaled.jpeg.jpg

As reported by Smartprix, realme CEO Madhav Sheth briefly shared an image on Twitter of what he calls the "Mini Capsule," a new feature of the company's upcoming C-series phone that looks similar to Apple's Dynamic Island, just with nowhere near the functionality.

Based on the image, and a video subsequently shared by @OnLeaks, realme's slightly wider Mini Capsule looks as if it is limited to animating in response to battery charging status, and that's about it. If the feature does anything else, realme isn't letting on.

By contrast, Apple's Dynamic Island utilizes the pill-shaped area at the top of the display to showcase relevant contextual app and system information to users. When making an Apple Pay payment, for example, Dynamic Island expands into a square shape to match the Face ID confirmation interface, and when on a phone call, it expands to be larger so you can have phone controls right at your fingertips.

realme isn't the only Android device maker to co-opt Apple's latest iPhone UI feature. Chinese brand LeEco has also launched a new smartphone that's basically a shameless knockoff of the iPhone 14 Pro series, right down to the triple-lens rear camera design and Dynamic Island. There have also been apps in Android's Google Play Store that attempt to replicate the look and behavior of Dynamic Island.

Rumors suggest this year's iPhone 15 models will look similar to the iPhone 14 models, but the pill-and-hole cutout will expand to the entire lineup. That means all iPhone 15 models will have no notch, instead adopting the Dynamic Island introduced in the iPhone 14 Pro models.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Pro's Dynamic Island Gets the Android Treatment in Latest Copycat Effort

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gusmula and mhnd

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Companies should have instead spend more time and efforts to improve under screen camera tech, sensors and it's corresponding software. The Dufus island on iPhone 14 Pro is actually useless after initial hype has worn off !

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Realme isn't the only Android device maker to co-opt Apple's latest iPhone UI feature. Chinese brand LeEco has also launched a new smartphone that's basically a shameless knockoff of the iPhone 14 Pro series, right down to the triple-lens rear camera design and Dynamic Island. There have also been apps in Android's Google Play Store that attempt to replicate the look and behavior of Dynamic Island.
Hmmmmmmmm 🤔

APPLE LAWYER TEAMS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!! 👩‍💼 ��‍💼 🧑‍💼

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Dynamic Island is a gimmick to make the pill hole less obnoxious and it has a marketable name. That's it. Android phones don't need this because the hole is usually much smaller.
While I do agree with what you’re saying here and I do feel like the current implementation was delivered in a very gimmicky way, I also think it has potential and honestly does prevent a viable innovation to how notifications are presented or accessed on screen.

Apple should have made the dynamic island be more functional than it is in its current state.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
While I do agree with what you’re saying here and I do feel like the current implementation was delivered in a very gimmicky way, I also think it has potential and honestly does prevent a viable innovation to how notifications are presented or accessed on screen.

Apple should have made the dynamic island be more functional than it is in its current state.
I don't have an iPhone 14 Pro so I can't tell. I'm a pro-Mini user.

But Dynamic Island should/will go away when Apple is able to do under the screen camera and face id. It's not really a permanent feature.

• Love
Reactions: bLackjackj

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
ANIMATED NOTCH!...can everyone stop being fooled by Apple Marketing 🙄🤦‍♂️,..its still an annoying notch!

Its amazing how you've all been hood winked, by now letting Apple control the narrative 😂

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I don't have an iPhone 14 Pro so I can't tell. I'm a pro-Mini user.

But Dynamic Island should/will go away when Apple is able to do under the screen camera and face id. It's not really a permanent feature.
I doubt dynamic island is going away anytime soon... you don't need a cutout or on screen camera in order for Dynamic Island to work, as it is a software graphic that's overlaid.... Apple will keep the dynamic island graphic around for notifications, alerts, and live activities even after face ID moves to under screen.

boyarka

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2021
No! How dare they copy the gimmick island!
Here's the thing though: it has been the general trend amongst all phone makers to make as much screen available to the user as possible, instead of bezels, buttons, cut-outs, pinholes, and "islands".
Apple should get credit where it's due though: they managed to pull off the almost-impossible, that is to butcher the screen by moving the notch down and thus making even LESS continuous screen area available - yet they pitched that as "creative" by making it the gimmick island with gimmick features. Bravo! This is like... not-a-bug-but-a-feature kind of shenanigans right there.
That somebody copies that reminds me of being in school: when this one dumb kind decided to do/wear/act like whatever, and then you have the sheep copying the same nonsense as if they were presented with a "good" example to follow. Well, good luck with that.

Long term: everything goes under the screen, no notches, holes, whatever else. Literally nobody needs anykind of impeded/limited screen space.

Reactions: gusmula

Numb3r13

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
I saw A LOT of trash talk with the D.I. from both sides . . . and now people have fallen in love with it. Honestly I didn't think I would even use it as much as I do. But leave it to Apple to invent something we didn't know we needed. I can't wait to see how other developers use the D.I. in their applications.

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Give me the notch, any time of day. having a random hole cutting well into my video content is distracting.
Who the hell thought moving the notch down towards the centre of the screen was a good idea?

torontotim

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2019
I love it when Apple fans start commenting about other companies copying features of an OS that is a blatant copy of others that came before it.

torontotim

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2019
Give me the notch, any time of day. having a random hole cutting well into my video content is distracting.
Who the hell thought moving the notch down towards the centre of the screen was a good idea?
I've never really looked at an iPhone 14 Pro beside a standard 14. Is the bottom of the cutout lower than the bottom of the notch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.