Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SennaSempre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
I hate it when something just changes on your phone or computer and you didn't make the change. I don't know why this happens, if anyone can say so I would love to know?

This happened on my iOS camera settings where all of a sudden my images have been kicked down in resolution sizes to 960x1280 and I always leave it on the maximum 3024x4032 and this is confirmed under settings.

Also every pic I take is now being duplicated into a even square 1x1 ratio with an extra file .AAE in my Camera Roll. I import all files manually through Image Capture and then have to go through and delete half of my double sized Camera Roll.

Why did this automatic setting occur and how can I change it back and stop it from ever happening again? Ghost in the Machine is a great album but hate it when it happens to you. thank you.

Attachments

• Why? .AEE.png
    Why? .AEE.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 42

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
which version of ios? which iPhone model? which version of macOS? you use Apple’s camera app? Just to understand this correctly: you have the high resolution setting active and if you check immediately after taking a photo in e.g. Apple Photos and it has a lower resolution? Do you use iCloud and have »Optimized iPhone Storage« enabled?

The .AEE contain the edit information(only), probably for the squared version - edits can be applied to multiple images, maybe some accidental usage, a shortcut, other image processing app? Did you try to reset the Camera settings?

SennaSempre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
iOS 17.2.1 and High Sierra 10.13.6 and yes the iOS default camera roll app and please no advice to update, I try to never update unless absolutely forced to for reasons just like this. I think this started to occur when I started up iPhotos for the first time and now it's messing around with my iPhone. So it must be an iPhotos setting now I think, could it?

I have all of those toggles turned on to green under the Preserve Setting and set to the maximum resolution size. When I take a photo the iOS camera takes a regular size 3024x4032 as normal (sometimes it downscales it to a 960x1280 all by itself) but now it is duplicating that same image in a 1x1 square ratio of 3024x3024 and an .AAE file shows up when I transfer the images. I don't use iCloud, I only use Image Capture to transfer pics into a Finder Folder.

"Reset the Camera settings" how? in anything different than under the Preserve Settings menu?

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
if you open Settings->Camera->Preserve Settings, underneath »Camera Mode«, do you see another toggle called »Creative Controls«? This seems to depend somewhat on the iPhone model (?), but via this toggle the last used filter, aspect ratio, etc. is preserved.

SennaSempre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
yeah I have that toggle, I had them all turned on and activated. the only thing I can do now is just turn them all off and shutdown the phone and return them back on and take some pics and re-upload into my iMac to test it out I guess.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone model - [?]
iOS version - [?]
camera app - [?]
iCloud - [?]

What iPhone model in use?
What iOS version?
What camera app, Apple or non-Apple?
iCloud Photos enabled or not?

Screenshot of camera settings if using Apple camera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.