Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max models have an Action button in place of the Ring/Silent switch on older iPhones, and iOS 18 makes it even more useful.

iOS-18-Control-Center-Toggles-for-Action-Button-Feature.jpg
Screenshot Credit: Aaron Perris

iOS 18 allows the Action button to be assigned to one of the dozens of controls available in the new Control Center gallery, allowing the Action button to invoke Dark Mode, Airplane Mode, Personal Hotspot, and more. Options like Low Power Mode and Orientation Lock do not appear to be available as of iOS 18 beta 1, but the Shortcut action already allows the Action button to be assigned to those options if desired.

These new options are in addition to the actions that were already available for the Action button on iOS 17, including Ring/Silent, Do Not Disturb, Camera, Flashlight, Voice Memo, Magnifier, Translate, Shortcut, and Accessibility. Some of the new Control Center options were already possible with the Shortcut or Accessibility options.

It has been rumored that the Action button will be expanded to all four iPhone 16 models later this year, so these new controls will come to even more devices.

iOS 18 is currently in beta and should be released in September.

Article Link: iOS 18 Adds Control Center Options to Action Button on iPhone 15 Pro

Last edited:

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Nice to hear they're expanding what the Action button can do. I have it set to Halide when I want to take a more "serious" photo as I prefer their UI over the stock camera app. But the more options, the better.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
This is pretty cool, I now wish you could change the volume up and down buttons to whatever, I'd be happy to control my volume manually from control centre and have, say, my volume up button as orientation lock, and volume down as quick access to the home app. Or something like that!

Anytime there’s an article about the Action Button, I’m reminded of the Jailbreak app Activator from over 10 years ago. You could assign literally over 100 actions systemwide similarly. It is so sad that Apple is restricting this to one action for one button.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Can anyone please confirm if the Dark Mode option is included in the Accessibility Shortcut? The current iOS 17 doesn't do that but it would be nice to know if it is in iOS 18. Thanks!

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
ORIENTATION LOCK YYYYAAAAAASSSS

dang I might have to ruin my life and install the beta on my main
I wrote the MacRumors story, and unfortunately I made an error. I thought the Action button could be assigned to ANY control in the Control Center gallery, but it turns out that options like Orientation Lock and Low Power Mode are not available, at least as of iOS 18 beta 1.

Truly sorry to get your hopes up! I messed up that one.

EDIT: But as the comment below me pointed out, you can already map the Action button to Orientation Lock via Shortcuts on iOS 17, so the end result is still completely possible.

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Nice to hear they're expanding what the Action button can do. I have it set to Halide when I want to take a more "serious" photo as I prefer their UI over the stock camera app. But the more options, the better.
In theory Halide could now develop a control center widget that you can use to replace the button for the stock camera app with on the lock screen (unless of course you prefer access to both).

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Anytime there’s an article about the Action Button, I’m reminded of the Jailbreak app Activator from over 10 years ago. You could assign literally over 100 actions systemwide similarly. It is so sad that Apple is restricting this to one action for one button.
I remember using that app very, very well! I miss the days of Jailbreaking!

Reactions: Joe Rossignol

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I use it to launch Launch Center Pro, which has a bunch of Shortcuts saved to it. I’m not using it as often as I had been (because I no longer need to use my shortcut for finding the fastest train to work, my new work location doesn’t require me to guess like the old one did), but it still gives me lots of options for launching multiple Shortcuts from the Action button.

smogriver

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
I submitted this as a request when iPhone 15 Pro came out. It's the only feature that will make me give up my 13 mini. That and the ability to place app icons. I'm glad they're winning me back over.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
This is awesome but I dont think I would ever use it for anything but silent mode.
I do wish there were multiple uses though (double-click for something, etc). iOS81 maybe.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I submitted this as a request when iPhone 15 Pro came out. It's the only feature that will make me give up my 13 mini. That and the ability to place app icons. I'm glad they're winning me back over.
I so regret not trying the mini.

Reactions: tomchr9

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Probably I will use this button for the first time with ios18.
Haven’t touched it a single time since day 1 with the 15 Pro.

Reactions: tomchr9

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Something broke with the toggle shortcut that I have my action button set to, so it hasn't worked in months.

Shows just how useful it is, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.